Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Headsets

Didn't see a thread on this, but during the locker room show on KXNO - found out that Rhoads and the entire ISU staff were without headsets the entire first half. NDSU's staff on the other hand had working headsets. The problem was addressed and our staff had full communication abilities in the 2nd half. After hearing this - it explains ALOT in my opinion about our 1st half vs. 2nd half performance.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Headsets

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 906
    Given: 189

Quote Originally Posted by ArathornClone View Post
    Didn't see a thread on this, but during the locker room show on KXNO - found out that Rhoads and the entire ISU staff were without headsets the entire first half. NDSU's staff on the other hand had working headsets. The problem was addressed and our staff had full communication abilities in the 2nd half. After hearing this - it explains ALOT in my opinion about our 1st half vs. 2nd half performance.
    Then your eyes must have been closed.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 3

Calls were being relayed over a cell phone but I agree that lack of communication between assistants could have played an effect...

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 33

Quote Originally Posted by ArathornClone View Post
    Rhoads Without Headsets > Chiz With Headsets and Holiday Inn Stay

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 604
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

See here for more info: http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...ack-trice.html

about the headsets, does anybody know how the communication is set up. Is it just like one big conference call when anybody and everybody can talk to each other, or does one coach switch channels to talk to position coaches, who then talk to coordinators, and finally the coordinators do all the communication with the head coach? I don't know why, I was just curious, I suppose its different for each coaching staff...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 543
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I searched the Football forum - considering the topic was about football. Didn't think to check "Front-Page News"

All-Star
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 647
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 23

Re: Headsets (long)

As I am familiar with this system I can hopefully let you know a little bit on how it works. Hope you don’t get confused in my explanations...

The system consists of 2 "control boxes." The first control box is in the coaches’ room in the press tower. The coaches in the press box have corded headsets connected to the control box (they are corded because they sit the entire game and have no reason to move around.) The second control box is behind the bench on the sidelines and has cordless capabilities so that the coaches with these headsets can move around freely without getting all wrapped up in each other’s cords. (The corded system was actually used on the sidelines last year in Iowa City vs. Iowa and is a nightmare to manage.) If the sideline control box is placed at midfield the wireless headsets have a range that can usually reach back of the end zone, or farther. These two control boxes are connected to each other with phone lines.

How the system actually works is that every week the company that owns this wireless system sends frequency codes to each school to download onto the sideline wireless system. This is done so that there is no interference between any other signals in the area that day (e.g., TV, radio, and especially the opposing team).

The system itself has 4 channels- A, B, C, D. Usually the offense uses channels A and B and the defense uses channels C and D. Any coach can be on any combination of channel pairs. Normally offensive coaches will use A and B only- defensive coaches will use channels C and D only- and the head coach and special teams coaches will use A and C or B and D so they can have one channel each of offense and defense.

I don’t know what the problem was with why the system didn’t work well against NDSU. I will guarantee that the system technicians had set up the system 3, 4, or 5 times in the past couple weeks so it’s not like this was the first time in 10 months it was turned on. Like any other electrical system, it will run like a top when it isn’t important, but when you actually need it sometimes it will not cooperate!

Last edited by cyinne; 11-19-2009 at 02:39 PM.