Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Games that shouldn't be on BCS Conference teams' schedules

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of BCS Conference schools scheduling teams like Southwestern College of Meatcutters, Oklahoma City Truck Driving Institute and Toledo Cab Drivers Academy on their non-conference schedules?

In my more than humble opinion, BCS level teams, under no circumstances, should be playing teams from lower divisions. Unless you like David versus Goliath scenerios, these games are meaningless, ridiculous, and shouldn't be placed on schedules.

First of all, the BCS should penalize teams that play these types of games (now that I think about it, these days, that's just about every one). And secondly, season ticket holders ought to flood Athletic Directors' offices with letters and e-mails demanding that these cream puff games be replaced on future schedules.

The problem is that it is absolutely imperitive that you go through your non-conference schedule undefeated if you are going to have any chance of playing in the BCS championship game or even a BCS bowl game. That, in and of itself, is a major reason to eliminate the cherade we call the BCS.

To me, if I am an Athletic Director and I want to do what is right by my ticket-buying fan base, I would schedule at least two of my four non-conference games against major conference schools, and possibly the other two against teams from what some refer to as the lesser Division-One conferences (like the WAC, Mountain West, MAC, Sunbelt, etc.).

You could, as an example, schedule a team like Indiana from the Big 10 or Duke from the ACC and still maintain some credibility. Then schedule one of your "lesser conference" games against one of those conference's better teams (Troy or Florida Atlantic from the Sunbelt, Boise, Louisiana Tech or possibly Hawaii from the WAC, Ball State, Western Michigan or Buffalo from the MAC, or Utah, BYU or maybe Air Force from the Mountain West). The other game against those type of conferences could be against a low to mid-level team from that conference.

I understand that scheduling Utah, Boise or even BYU could be risky, but obviously you wouldn't have to schedule a team of that caliber every year. You really wouldn't ever have to schedule a team of that caliber, as long as you had other "competitive" non-conference games on your non-conference schedule.

I used to think non-conference basketball scheduling was a joke, but football seems to be attempting to surpass even that insanity.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Re: Games that shouldn't be on BCS Conference teams' schedules

I dont have a problem with us(Iowa) or ISU playing someone like Northern Iowa even though they are down a division. Lets be honest....if you ranked out all the 1A and 1AA teams together I'd be willing to bet UNI would be ranked ahead of many 1A teams most years. So wouldnt playing UNI be a tougher game than playing some directional school for the blind who is 1A, yet so bad they are a joke? I think its good for Iowa and ISU to have UNI around which is a quality 1AA program.....we get the home game which is good and UNI gets thrown a bone by getting on tv, getting paid and not having to travel much. As a football fan I'd love it if Iowas non conference schedule was ISU, Nebraska and a Georgia or Alabama type team but thats just not going to happen.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 678
    Given: 89

The only part I don't like is that the non-power-houses are penalized for this while powerhouses are not. Boise State, if they are the only undeafeted team in the Nation they will still not play in a NC even though they should. Florida, though will get all of this credit for winning the SEC which is strong, but for some reason is considered to be immortal. I have a real problem with all these analysts talk about conferences and how there is so much difference. There is really no way to accuratly rate the conferences since there are so very few games schedule interconference. Yes, maybe a bowl record shows it but does that really take into account an entire season? Doubtful. I will always remember the year Michigan beat Tebow and FL, who was supposed to be so much faster and better than the Big Ten. I believe the spread was 13. After Michigan won, we heard nothing about that game because the media wants to talk about just how good the SEC is. Having said all of this, I do realize that the SEC and B12 are the two best conferences and yes the B10 and Pac 10 lack a little, but I don't think the spread is as large as they want people to think it is. Off the soapbox.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I forgot who florida is playing because it won't matter but they are like 63 point favorites to win that game. I realize the school that is playing florida is getting $450,000 to play the game but thats gotta be quite humiliating.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 127

I don't know. I don't like them, because of where it leaves you if you lose, but we were in desperate need of a win last night. I'm not sure how many 1A schools we could have beaten last night.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 43

Now that we have gone to a 12 game season, I think the NCAA should pass a requirement that FBS teams play at least one non-conf game on the road. Scheduling 4 cupcakes at home is ridiculous.

There should also be a limit that you can only play one 1AA team. It doesn't happen a lot, but I think some schools (Kansas State) have played 2 in their non-conf. Again, ridiculous.

I think Iowa and ISU should rotate against UNI, like these last two years. Let them play at Iowa one year, then ISU the next. Since they are a very good 1AA team, that game is not a waste at all (who are we kidding -- they beat ole Chiz). But I don't want to play them every year.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 127

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot too. It does kind of suck for the 1A schools to schedule these teams, especially BCS bound teams. But think of the 1AA schools. It's a huge payday for them. For their budget, probably the equivalent of us going to a major bowl. What did NDSU get last night? 300,000? That's a good chunk of change for their budget.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 173

Charleston Southern is building a locker room for their home field with the $450K that Florida is giving them to get pounded.

John Walters is my hero

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,156
    Given: 822

:yawn:

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,628
    Given: 3,591

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    The only part I don't like is that the non-power-houses are penalized for this while powerhouses are not. Boise State, if they are the only undeafeted team in the Nation they will still not play in a NC even though they should. Florida, though will get all of this credit for winning the SEC which is strong, but for some reason is considered to be immortal. I have a real problem with all these analysts talk about conferences and how there is so much difference. There is really no way to accuratly rate the conferences since there are so very few games schedule interconference. Yes, maybe a bowl record shows it but does that really take into account an entire season? Doubtful. I will always remember the year Michigan beat Tebow and FL, who was supposed to be so much faster and better than the Big Ten. I believe the spread was 13. After Michigan won, we heard nothing about that game because the media wants to talk about just how good the SEC is. Having said all of this, I do realize that the SEC and B12 are the two best conferences and yes the B10 and Pac 10 lack a little, but I don't think the spread is as large as they want people to think it is. Off the soapbox.
    When you play, and beat, multiple ranked teams in your conference, you can get away with playing cupcakes in the non-conference. Florida has that luxury. Boise State does not. BSU (whom I hate, by the way) just beat a ranked Oregon to start the season. A good win for them. However, they will probably not play another ranked oponent until a bowl game.
    Their conference is a joke in overall strength. They should not be able to schedule cupcakes, run the table in conference, and then expect to get respect in the final polls. You have to play someone with a pulse to get into the national championship. Period.
    This season BSU will get credit for beating a ranked Oregon team, but I am not sure if Oregon will be ranked by the end of the year. Until BSU joins the Pac-10 or Mountain West (better than the WAC), they will not get much credit for their strength of schedule.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,622
    Given: 2,119

Quote Originally Posted by CycoCyclone View Post
    Charleston Southern is building a locker room for their home field with the $450K that Florida is giving them to get pounded.
    At that point, should the players be compensated for the humiliation? That's a really crass usage of young people.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Starter
    Thumbs Up

If nothing else it's a nice boost for the lesser school, sure they'll get stomped, but they get some cash, get on TV, and every so often someone pulls the upset.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 173

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    At that point, should the players be compensated for the humiliation? That's a really crass usage of young people.
    I agree with your point, I honestly hope that none get injured playing much bigger, stronger, faster athletes.

John Walters is my hero

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,622
    Given: 2,119

I agree with your point, I honestly hope that none get injured playing much bigger, stronger, faster athletes.
    Me, too. Like the peak of the Nebraska games during Mac's years, when it seemed like we lost more linemen to injuries than we scored points.

Great for the school having a locker room. I hope nobody is seriously injured along the way.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Great for the school having a locker room. I hope nobody is seriously injured along the way.
    Maybe instead of a new locker room, they should put in a new training/rehab facility?