Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,189, Level: 85
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    gogagig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,563
    Points
    76,189
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 17

    Question for lawyers

    If I want X to provide me with a notarized signature for the document he is required to sign on, but he does not want to provide a notarized signature but a regular signature, do I have any legal way to get his notarized signature?



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 386,140, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,645
    Points
    386,140
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 461
    Given: 303

    Re: Question for lawyers

    Why the heck would he not want a notary? He either doesnt understand the concept, or he is shady.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 82,750, Level: 89
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,000
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Incyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,797
    Points
    82,750
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 44

    Re: Question for lawyers

    You can't force somebody to give a signature. I would however suggest you tell him you will accept nothing but a notarized sig.

    What's the doc and why must it be notarized?


    “Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

    Martin Luther King Jr.

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 29,565, Level: 52
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CyPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,508
    Points
    29,565
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question for lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    If I want X to provide me with a notarized signature for the document he is required to sign on, but he does not want to provide a notarized signature but a regular signature, do I have any legal way to get his notarized signature?
    I'd suggest providing more detail to get better answers. Getting a notarized signature should be no problem - other than a hassle/inconvenience. All a notary is doing is confirming the person signing is who he says he is. Nothing more, nothing less. Why do you want it notarized?



  5. #5
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 5,840, Level: 22
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Wallacelantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    252
    Points
    5,840
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question for lawyers

    Some people are hesitant to give notarized signatures because of the hassle and/or fee that some places charge for notary service. If this is his hang up search notaries on the SOS website Notary Search
    there is probably someone that he works with that will do it for nothing. Or if he is a Cyclone fan and will be at the game thursday let me know and i will notarize it for him at the tailgate.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 29,565, Level: 52
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CyPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,508
    Points
    29,565
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question for lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallacelantz View Post
    Some people are hesitant to give notarized signatures because of the hassle and/or fee that some places charge for notary service. If this is his hang up search notaries on the SOS website Notary Search
    there is probably someone that he works with that will do it for nothing. Or if he is a Cyclone fan and will be at the game thursday let me know and i will notarize it for him at the tailgate.
    If either party has a bank relationship, the bank will more than likely do it for free. WF does it for me for free when the need be.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,189, Level: 85
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    gogagig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,563
    Points
    76,189
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 17

    Re: Question for lawyers

    I need to get my diploma to be notarized in order to apply for a visiting researcher position overseas. But of course, diplomas typically have only "stamped" signatures on them. The school refused to provide me with the notarization, even though there are several notaries in the building.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 29,565, Level: 52
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CyPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,508
    Points
    29,565
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question for lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    I need to get my diploma to be notarized in order to apply for a visiting researcher position overseas. But of course, diplomas typically have only "stamped" signatures on them. The school refused to provide me with the notarization, even though there are several notaries in the building.
    Wow, what school is this? It is lame that they won't help you with your need. I can see why the oversea company would want this - to prevent fraud.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 34,196, Level: 56
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 54
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    BKLYNCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,825
    Points
    34,196
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 35

    Re: Question for lawyers

    Sometimes items get lost in translation. You should confirm with the company abroad that they need "notarized" rather than "sealed." Note that ISU sends "sealed" transcripts directly to people if you provide the postage. This is how many professional organizations deal with the authenticity in the U.S.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,189, Level: 85
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    gogagig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,563
    Points
    76,189
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 17

    Re: Question for lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNCyclone View Post
    Sometimes items get lost in translation. You should confirm with the company abroad that they need "notarized" rather than "sealed." Note that ISU sends "sealed" transcripts directly to people if you provide the postage. This is how many professional organizations deal with the authenticity in the U.S.
    It definitely needs to be first (ii) notarized, then (ii) the notarization has to be declared legal by the Iowa Secretary of State with a Apostille stamp.

    It's a long, bureaucratic process. But it would be nice if schools were more helpful with this!



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 57,623, Level: 74
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kilgore_trout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,171
    Points
    57,623
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 440

    Re: Question for lawyers

    Maybe you're being too literal. Most school (college/university) certifications are accompanied by seals, stamps, etc. to verify authenticity.

    Your employer should probably realize this is how it's handled in the US.

    If not, ask to speak to the registrar in person.
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    I need to get my diploma to be notarized in order to apply for a visiting researcher position overseas. But of course, diplomas typically have only "stamped" signatures on them. The school refused to provide me with the notarization, even though there are several notaries in the building.


    I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 42,791, Level: 63
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    RandomFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,964
    Points
    42,791
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Question for lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    I need to get my diploma to be notarized in order to apply for a visiting researcher position overseas. But of course, diplomas typically have only "stamped" signatures on them. The school refused to provide me with the notarization, even though there are several notaries in the building.

    Wow! You are either dealing with a real jerk or you went to a crappy school. What school is it? And is there anyone higher up the food chain you could talk to?



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 82,750, Level: 89
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 1,000
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Incyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,797
    Points
    82,750
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 44

    Re: Question for lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    It definitely needs to be first (ii) notarized, then (ii) the notarization has to be declared legal by the Iowa Secretary of State with a Apostille stamp.

    It's a long, bureaucratic process. But it would be nice if schools were more helpful with this!
    Can you get it Certified and then get your Apostille stamp?


    “Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

    Martin Luther King Jr.

  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 29,565, Level: 52
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CyPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,508
    Points
    29,565
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question for lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    Can you get it Certified and then get your Apostille stamp?
    I think he is being pretty clear on what the overseas contact needs. Certified has been no where in his language. Also, I don't think he's lost anything in translation, taking it too literally, etc.

    I would be on his school like white on rice until I got what I needed.



  15. #15
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Question for lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Why the heck would he not want a notary? He either doesnt understand the concept, or he is shady.

    +1...leaning towards the shady side.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM