Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 155

MLB Baseball pitching question

I admit to not being incredibly knowledgeable on the subject of baseball. I understand all the rules, but there are certain things I have never understood.

Question 1: Does a pitcher putting on a coat over their pitching arm really help keep it "more warm?" I've never understood why when it is 90 degrees out in Florida, the pitcher goes to the dugout and puts a coat on. Does it really need to be kept warmer than that?

Question 2: Why is it so much easier for batters to hit off of opposite throwing pitchers? Is it strictly the release point? Or is it harder to find locations for the pitcher?

Question 3: Why does the AL DH and the NL not?

Question 4: How can ballparks be different sizes? It would seem to not make certain stats fair in the game of baseball. If one football field was 5 yards longer think of all the whining that would happen. There has to be some team in baseball that has hit against the smallest total distance to the wall. Wouldn't this skew HR numbers?

I love watching the game of baseball, not the Cubs losing, but that's another story..... I have just never understood a few things.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 36

Re: MLB Baseball pitching question

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    I admit to not being incredibly knowledgeable on the subject of baseball. I understand all the rules, but there are certain things I have never understood.

Question 1: Does a pitcher putting on a coat over their pitching arm really help keep it "more warm?" I've never understood why when it is 90 degrees out in Florida, the pitcher goes to the dugout and puts a coat on. Does it really need to be kept warmer than that?

Question 2: Why is it so much easier for batters to hit off of opposite throwing pitchers? Is it strictly the release point? Or is it harder to find locations for the pitcher?

Question 4: How can ballparks be different sizes? It would seem to not make certain stats fair in the game of baseball. If one football field was 5 yards longer think of all the whining that would happen. There has to be some team in baseball that has hit against the smallest total distance to the wall. Wouldn't this skew HR numbers?

I love watching the game of baseball, not the Cubs losing, but that's another story..... I have just never understood a few things.
    This question I have always wondered as well??? makes no sense to me since baseball back in the day started with no DH

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by CYCRAZY View Post
    This question I have always wondered as well??? makes no sense to me since baseball back in the day started with no DH
    Also, the mound was higher, blacks couldn't play, and many other things. Just because it started that way doesn't make it better, just makes it old.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Only in baseball can there be different rules (DH), varying field dimensions, coaches wearing uniforms, etc. One of many reasons baseball gets old fast.

@LeSchmick

XBox Live: Le Schmick

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 348
    Given: 701

When a batter is facing a pitcher that throws from the same side they hit, the ball is coming across their body. Typically the pitch moves from the inside -> out and vice-versa.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by LeSchmick View Post
    Only in baseball can there be different rules (DH), varying field dimensions, coaches wearing uniforms, etc. One of many reasons baseball gets old fast.
    How could that make the game old?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,778
    Given: 1,498

I think most of that stuff makes the game more interesting. There are more variables to think through.

Coaches and managers wearing uniforms, though, that's strange to me.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HiltonMagic View Post
    Also, the mound was higher, blacks couldn't play, and many other things. Just because it started that way doesn't make it better, just makes it old.
    The leagues should be the same the DH is dumb

Last edited by C.John; 09-01-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Dont watch it then, pretty simple fix

Starter
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

I like baseball for it's differences in stadiums and dimensions. Makes the game and managing interesting. I like the human aspect with the umps making most calls and very little replay.

I think some pitchers might be superstitious on the one sleeve coat thing?

I don't like the DH rule.

Managers wearing uniforms is because they used to play and manage. I think it would be weird to see them not wearing it anymore.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that it is not mandated that all fields have the exact same dimensions. That makes no sense, whatsoever.

Thumbs Up

It's to keep the arm warmer than the rest of the body so it stays loose between innings. As soon as the arm starts to cool off and the muscles start to cool down, pitchers can run into trouble fast.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 695
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

For me sliders/curveballs start at you with same sided pitchers. If you dont pick up the spin on the ball you think it will hit you. Where as if it is an opposite side pitcher everything starts on the outside and comes into you. Most people can hit better outside of the strike zone rather then the inside. Just my .02

Hooray for Metaphors!

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

to get people to ask questions

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 695
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Quote Originally Posted by 06Panther View Post
    I think it is absolutely ridiculous that it is not mandated that all fields have the exact same dimensions. That makes no sense, whatsoever.
    Why is it ridiculous? If all fields were identical then it wouldn't be that entertaining to go to different fields. The different dimensions creates a home field advantage. Also why some teams are heavy on power hitters when they have a smaller field and and team with a big field have faster players.

Hooray for Metaphors!