Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

About time for recruiting to pick up

Over the next few weeks, I am expecting ISU to receive some commitments with stars behind their name. I don't have any inside information. This is based purely on wants and needs. Yes, stars don't mean everything, but as someone else on here pointed out, they can't all be diamonds in the rough.

Right now ISU's 2010 class is rated 92nd in the country by Rivals and 90th in the country by Scout. That puts us dead last among the sixty-five BCS schools.

Scout.com: Football Recruiting

The good news is that there are still a lot of recruits on the board. On average, most BCS schools have commitments for around half of their 25 available scholarships. ISU currently has ony seven commitments according to Rivals but it's really not the number of commitments that count. What matters is getting quality recruits that fill ISU's needs, and we have some glaring needs to address.

With 8 senior starters on defense, Rhoads has a LOT of playing time to offer potential recruits. And with Rhoads background in defense, I'm expecting to see some good DL and LB recruits commiting to ISU including a few JUCOs. We need something to get excited about for 2010!! Schools like Central Michigan and Wyoming should not be ahead of us in recruiting! ISU has far more to offer in terms of scheduling, facilities and history of players making the NFL.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Re: About time for recruiting to pick up

It would be cool to see a few committments from guys that actually had scholarship offers from other BCS schools. That would be a huge bonus at this point...

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,340
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    It would be cool to see a few committments from guys that actually had scholarship offers from other BCS schools. That would be a huge bonus at this point...
    comments like that will get you destroyed on this board.

Apparently everything is rosey and stars have no value whatsoever.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 916
    Given: 562

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    We have a couple commitments that do so far, Barnett and Young. Time to get some more. I bet we will have a few after our non-conference home games, we'll probably have a few visitors then.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 333
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 928
    Given: 226

Rivals rankings takes into account quantity and ranking. Several of our known commits haven't been scouted/rated yet so they are bringing our ranking down. I'm saying that having the 90th rated class on September 1st is meaningless. I guarantee come February we will sign 25-30 players and our rating will be somewhere from 60-75. That's the reality of recruiting kids to come play for ISU right now. If we miraculously win 7, 8 or 9 games this year, I would expect our recruiting to pick up quite a bit but not as much this year as into the future.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 93

Here is how you evaluate a class. Wait 3 or four years and see what they have done. I place little value on stars below 5 stars. I think it is more of a probability to succeed. I can think of a ton of players that were three stars that made it. I would rather just wait and see. Yes 4 or 5 stars is a better feeling, but 3 star players can be just as good with good coaching and I think we have that.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 244

TJ McCollough is now a 3 star!!! Its happening already !!!

#BEATIOWA

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 1

Prospects are waiting to see if we'll be any good.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 890

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    Over the next few weeks, I am expecting ISU to receive some commitments with stars behind their name.
    I'm pretty sure that you would be mistaken...

This is based purely on wants and needs.
    Like, your "wants and needs" to gain some commitemnts?

Let me explain. Generally there is a trend towards commitments in the Summer, following camps, and before school starts. Then, once school starts (and footbal season), kids put their college plans on the back burner, with little opportunity to take visits. And coaches take the opportunity to watch games and review this season's film.

In other words, generally speaking there is less of a chance of getting any commitments for a while, now that summer is over, until the season is well along and we start having big visit weekends--and admittedly, the Iowa game could be one of those. Probably Oklahoma State another. But generally speaking, we probably wouldn't see many more commitments until late November or early December at the earliest. Especially with a brand new staff.

Not to mention the chance to show what they can do on the field. After all, if (a big if, I realize), we go , say, 7-5, and/or show an explosive offense, we'll be drawing the interest of a much better caliber of recruits.

Part of this fanbase is like the parable of the blind men and the elephant.

Who knew?

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I took a look at Chizik's 2008 recruiting class to see when the bulk of those guys committed. Only five of them were committed as of 9/1/2007 including Tiller and McDonough. Schwartz and Ferguson committed during the season. Everyone else waited until after the season including LJ and SJ. So if past experience is any indication, AClone is right. We may not see a lot of commitments until after the season is over.

So rather than commitments, let's hope the coaches are setting up a lot of visits over the next several weekends. If we can get them on campus, I like our chances.

BTW, how easy must it be to be an OU fan these days? They've already got 23 commitments including twelve 4 stars before the season even starts. They're recruiting is basically done already.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisClone View Post
    I took a look at Chizik's 2008 recruiting class to see when the bulk of those guys committed. Only five of them were committed as of 9/1/2007 including Tiller and McDonough. Schwartz and Ferguson committed during the season. Everyone else waited until after the season including LJ and SJ. So if past experience is any indication, AClone is right. We may not see a lot of commitments until after the season is over.

So rather than commitments, let's hope the coaches are setting up a lot of visits over the next several weekends. If we can get them on campus, I like our chances.

BTW, how easy must it be to be an OU fan these days? They've already got 23 commitments including twelve 4 stars before the season even starts. They're recruiting is basically done already.
    Yeah, I'm not going to start worrying about our recruiting class until the day after signing day.

And yeah I agree, check out the Longhorn's recruits as well. The talent discrepancy between those schools and ISU is absolutely mind-boggling.