Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Decision to televise NDSU game

It seems odd to me that the Ath. Dept chose to televise this game and made it public relatively early. Anyone further than an hour away, drivetime, for a late week night game who was considering making the trip just had their decision made for them. Why spend a couple hundred dollars for fuel, food and tix and get home early Friday morning when you can watch it locally at home or give the money to some Sports Bar owner? To me the Ath. Dept. is better served with "fannies" in the seats financially long term as well as the team atmosphere with a full stadium. Maybe they knew that projections showed "X" number of seats would be filled and they needed to take the money from Mediacom. And even though I am looking forward to the KCMO trip, I doubt very much that any head coach enjoys giving up a home game. K-State fans will outnumber I-State fans due to a closer proximity and the neutral KC Fan who will support Bill Snyder. The donors who shell out large dollars for seating/parking in Ames and the Ames business community came out on the short end also. Maybe I am old school but I think college football was made to be played on Sat. afternoons, televised games should only be allowed after 90% sellouts, and when your goal every year is to win six games and become bowl elgible you do not give up home games!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Decision to televise NDSU game

Quote Originally Posted by swiacy View Post
    It seems odd to me that the Ath. Dept chose to televise this game and made it public relatively early. Anyone further than an hour away, drivetime, for a late week night game who was considering making the trip just had their decision made for them. Why spend a couple hundred dollars for fuel, food and tix and get home early Friday morning when you can watch it locally at home or give the money to some Sports Bar owner? To me the Ath. Dept. is better served with "fannies" in the seats financially long term as well as the team atmosphere with a full stadium. Maybe they knew that projections showed "X" number of seats would be filled and they needed to take the money from Mediacom. And even though I am looking forward to the KCMO trip, I doubt very much that any head coach enjoys giving up a home game. K-State fans will outnumber I-State fans due to a closer proximity and the neutral KC Fan who will support Bill Snyder. The donors who shell out large dollars for seating/parking in Ames and the Ames business community came out on the short end also. Maybe I am old school but I think college football was made to be played on Sat. afternoons, televised games should only be allowed after 90% sellouts, and when your goal every year is to win six games and become bowl elgible you do not give up home games!
    I agree with most all of that except that I wouldn't bet the house on KSU fans outnumbering ISU fans in KC.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81

I have never gotten the argument that getting on TV is bad for the team. There are lots of teams that are on TV every week that have no problem selling tickets.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by swiacy View Post
    K-State fans will outnumber I-State fans due to a closer proximity and the neutral KC Fan who will support Bill Snyder.
    I disagree with this excuse. Manhattan is almost as far from Kansas City as Ames is. There is a large fanbase in Kansas City of ISU Alumni. It's not like Manhattan is just outside of KC. Suck it up and make the trip

All-Star
    Thumbs Up

I will be down in KC. Can't wait, then the very next day I will be back in arrowhead when the Chiefs take on the N.Y. giants.

Chiefs!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The game is on Mediacom and we only knew about it a few weeks ago, I would say 35 to 45% of people have either Dish or Directv, or live where there is no Mediacom and will not get the game, so really your point is really not very well thought out. I also saw somewhere that ISU had sold more tickets so far to the Arrowhead game than KSU, not by much, but I would expect to see 60 to 65 k there and a pretty even split. As someone already said, suck it up and make the trip.

Many Years Of Cyclone Logos

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

When we ordered tickets a couple of weeks ago the ISU section had a lot better seats left than the KSU sections.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81

Old balls is back at the helm. KSU fans are probably close to delirium. Anybody who expects there to be more ISU fans than KSU fans in Arrowhead has a screw loose IMO.

Pro
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 26

This topic always bothers me. It is not just important that this program gets on tv..it's essential that it gets on tv. Why do you think there are so many more hawk fans in the state? Is it because so many more people go/went to Iowa or is it the media attention from being on TV all the time during the 80's/90's that helped create a larger fan base for the overwhelming majority of people that don't go to games regulary.

We have to grow the base. We have to get people interested in ISU football that may have not been so otherwise. Simple as that and getting on tv is essential to doing that. Frankly, it sucks we could only get on Mediacom when you look at some of the other Thursday night games this week that are televised on much larger networks.

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 530
    Given: 125

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Old balls is back at the helm. KSU fans are probably close to delirium. Anybody who expects there to be more ISU fans than KSU fans in Arrowhead has a screw loose IMO.
    I remember a thread a few weeks ago where Pollard said ISU fans have already purchased many more tickets than KSU fans.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 677
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 135

The game is on TV because our kids have football practice and can't go. Evidently I have quite a bit of pull at the athletic dept.

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 935
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 57

I ALWAYS want to go to the game, regardless of TV and whether or not I get the channel. Am I really in the minority? Who the hell would rather watch their football team on TV when they could be there live and in person?

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by kcclones View Post
    I disagree with this excuse. Manhattan is almost as far from Kansas City as Ames is. There is a large fanbase in Kansas City of ISU Alumni. It's not like Manhattan is just outside of KC. Suck it up and make the trip
    Kansas City sucks in that it is literally made up of KU and KSU alumni and fans. It will be much easier for them to bring more fans in the last few moments before the game than ISU (even though we may have sold more tickets so far).

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 55

Agreed in the notion that there is no such thing as bad TV. As pointed out, I think a better TV deal is a big part of why there are more hawk fans in the state. More Iowa natives graduate from ISU than EIU, but they still have the bigger fan base partly due to the media exposure pulling in the casual fan with no ties to either school.

As for the K-State game, somebody provided some ticket sales numbers on this site a few days ago and it looked like we were outselling them. And from what I observe living in KC, I wouldn't necessarily call the place a KSU hotbed. I was actually having a discussion yesterday with my next door neighbor (a hawk fan actually) and we both agreed that you see far more KU and MU stuff than KSU. We also agreed that you almost see more ISU and EIU stuff around than KSU. And while yes, there may be some casual fans that swing to KSU as the "home" team, there will also be KU or MU fans who I think would be much more likely to cheer against KSU than us.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 60

Quote Originally Posted by trajanJ View Post
    When we ordered tickets a couple of weeks ago the ISU section had a lot better seats left than the KSU sections.
    We got ours 9 or 10 days ago and KSU had better seats. I'm guseeing it will be pretty even. Both sets of fans thinking they have a good shot.