Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 22,696, Level: 46
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mkadl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornfield
    Posts
    999
    Points
    22,696
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

    How can next years team disappoint?

    Can the O line be worse?----NO
    Can the play calling be worse?----NO
    It is going to be fun!!!



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 42,919, Level: 63
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mike4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,572
    Points
    42,919
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    No, but it could be the same which is pretty much worse.. I am pretty excited about next year too. I am going to be out there tailgating for the spring game, YAHOOO.


    --Luck of the Cyrish--






  3. #3
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 234,503, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 97.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,684
    Points
    234,503
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 485

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    Can I tailgate more hours?---YES!


    @RandomGeoFacts

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 452,382, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    brianhos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Trenchtown
    Posts
    39,679
    Points
    452,382
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 33

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    Can the O line be worse?----NO
    Can the play calling be worse?----NO
    It is going to be fun!!!
    Still lose your best 2 of your 3 best defensive players, and your best offensive player (flynn).


    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 117,937, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,488
    Points
    117,937
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 58

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Still lose your best 2 of your 3 best defensive players, and your best offensive player (flynn).
    Flynn was MIA for much of the last third of the season. He is a big loss, but I think Sumrall will do a fine job in his place. With Franklin, Sumrall, and Blythe in there....its still going to be a great combo of receivers to contend with.

    Most important thing is getting Meyer some time to actually get clean passes off.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 13,644, Level: 35
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,011
    Points
    13,644
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    Can the O line be worse?----NO
    Can the play calling be worse?----NO
    It is going to be fun!!!
    As a Cyclone fan, I'll always expect the best.

    As a Cyclone fan, I'll always know when it seems like it can't get any worse, it actually can.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 22,696, Level: 46
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mkadl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornfield
    Posts
    999
    Points
    22,696
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoClone View Post
    As a Cyclone fan, I'll always expect the best.

    As a Cyclone fan, I'll always know when it seems like it can't get any worse, it actually can.
    That is stinkin thinkin. Do you think the returning players on defense were that bad last year? I don't.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 13,644, Level: 35
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,011
    Points
    13,644
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    That is stinkin thinkin. Do you think the returning players on defense were that bad last year? I don't.
    Don't confuse knowing it could always be worse with expecting worse. I have very high expectations of this team, as I do with every team, and I've never been more excited about Cyclone Football now that Chizik is on board.



  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 49,236, Level: 68
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    4,008
    Points
    49,236
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 188

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    How can next years team disappoint?


    Win less than four games is the only way this team can disappoint!


    Go Clones BEAT Kansas State!!!



  10. #10
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,819
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    Quote Originally Posted by mkadl View Post
    That is stinkin thinkin. Do you think the returning players on defense were that bad last year? I don't.
    If we play good fundementally sound football (block and tackle) then I will be happy. If we look organized on the field, then I will be happy. If the team doesn't quit on the coaching staff, no matter what happens, then I will be happy. If the coaches appear to make adjustments during the game, then I will be happy. Those factors were missing over the past few years, and if we can show improvement in those areas, that will show progress.

    Now in terms of your "stinkin thinkin" comment.....I have asked many different people many different times on this site, just how long have you been a Cyclone fan???

    I hate to say it like this, but I have been set up many times by the athletic teams from this university, only to have my heart broken. I am not just talking about the poorly coached McCarney football team of the past few years (two years when the other schools in the North tried their hardest to let us win the division). But there were Johnny Orr basketball teams that started the season 16-2, only to see the leader of the team, Gary Thompkins, contract mono, and they end up 20-12. The scar tissue builds up after a while, you know what I am saying???

    That is why I liken being an Iowa State fan to being a Cub fan. You don't choose to root for a team that NEVER wins meaningful games (NL Wildcard=the Independence Bowl), but once you become addicted, you can't get away from it.

    I would love to be able to distance myself from the pain, but I am a passionate fan. I am what I am, I will continue to come back for more. I get to the point where I say that I am done, the Kansas State game this year in football comes to mind, but the next weekend, I was ready for the trip the JTS for the KU game.


    Jeffrey A Crawford

  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 9,716, Level: 29
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    DevilDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cedar Falls
    Posts
    414
    Points
    9,716
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    The only thing that would really disappoint me is if they play to lose with the lead. I want at least moderate to aggressive play calling so we keep our foot on the pedal. Also if our o-line play doesnt improve by leaps and bounds it never will.


    Cyclone State Now & Forever

  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 22,696, Level: 46
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mkadl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cornfield
    Posts
    999
    Points
    22,696
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    If we play good fundementally sound football (block and tackle) then I will be happy. If we look organized on the field, then I will be happy. If the team doesn't quit on the coaching staff, no matter what happens, then I will be happy. If the coaches appear to make adjustments during the game, then I will be happy. Those factors were missing over the past few years, and if we can show improvement in those areas, that will show progress.

    Now in terms of your "stinkin thinkin" comment.....I have asked many different people many different times on this site, just how long have you been a Cyclone fan???

    I hate to say it like this, but I have been set up many times by the athletic teams from this university, only to have my heart broken. I am not just talking about the poorly coached McCarney football team of the past few years (two years when the other schools in the North tried their hardest to let us win the division). But there were Johnny Orr basketball teams that started the season 16-2, only to see the leader of the team, Gary Thompkins, contract mono, and they end up 20-12. The scar tissue builds up after a while, you know what I am saying???

    That is why I liken being an Iowa State fan to being a Cub fan. You don't choose to root for a team that NEVER wins meaningful games (NL Wildcard=the Independence Bowl), but once you become addicted, you can't get away from it.

    I would love to be able to distance myself from the pain, but I am a passionate fan. I am what I am, I will continue to come back for more. I get to the point where I say that I am done, the Kansas State game this year in football comes to mind, but the next weekend, I was ready for the trip the JTS for the KU game.
    My first ISU athletic event was in 1968. I believe it was Kansas at Clyde Williams. I saw Chris Taylor wrestle twice in person. I remember stop-pop-jumper-goooood, Barry Stevens. Jeff Branstetter in bball, and Alan Patten in football. I have seen a few seasons that looked like bloopers. But until typical ISU fan can get the other D-1 football program in the state out of their minds, focus on being a full time ISU fan instead of 1/2 of the time ISU fan and a hater of another school the other half. ISU has to come first and have the expectations for great things to happen. If great thing do not happen then heads should roll. Mediocre won't cut it any more. I don't want to wait until Texas and Oklahoma rotate off our schedule to hope for a good season. Everyone in the south plays them every year. I am 47 years old and don't want to see the same dog and pony show we had with BVD. (Except the Tim Floyd yeasr) Peace and go STATE



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 38,785, Level: 60
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,384
    Points
    38,785
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 45

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Still lose your best 2 of your 3 best defensive players
    every one we lose was one of the best, thats why they were starting. moorhead, curvey, tyrone, jackson...they were all the best we had



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 38,785, Level: 60
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    dinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,384
    Points
    38,785
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 45

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Flynn was MIA for much of the last third of the season. He is a big loss, but I think Sumrall will do a fine job in his place. With Franklin, Sumrall, and Blythe in there....its still going to be a great combo of receivers to contend with.

    Most important thing is getting Meyer some time to actually get clean passes off.
    i agree totally. i believe our receiving corps could once again be tops in the big 12. you mention rj, todd b. and wallace franklin...dont forget houston jones, messiah, montgomery, hamilton.



  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 16,934, Level: 39
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    MaxPower57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    924
    Points
    16,934
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: How can next years team disappoint?

    ...and milan moses



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM