Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 3

ARTICLE I got from an NDSU fan.....

Got this article about NDSU from a one of their fans i work with (engineer) who thought this might get me worried about Thursday....writer is from a a Bison Blog hangout...

NDSU football: Bison hope to fatten up on Big 12 upset
    Perhaps the Division I Football Championship Subdivision needs a mascot. How about an underdog?

By: Jeff Kolpack <http://www.inforum.com/event/author/name/Jeff%2DKolpack/> , INFORUM
    Perhaps the Division I Football Championship Subdivision needs a mascot. How about an underdog?
    It’s still commonly known as Division I-AA, especially this week when the following mantra is shouted nationwide: Let the upsets begin.
    North Dakota State’s chance comes Thursday when the Bison open their season at Iowa State. For administrators, it’s a buy game and in this case, the Bison are receiving a $300,000 pay day for playing the Big 12 Conference program.
    And if you hit the right slot machine, you can get the money and a whole lot more. FCS NDSU is 3-2 in games against Division I Football Bowl Subdivision games, a striking and impressive winning record.
    “The first thing you need is the belief that you can go play with them,” said South Dakota State head coach John Stiegelmeier.
    Check that off with the Bison, who have beaten the University of Minnesota, Ball State and Central Michigan since moving to Division I. Losses were to the Gophers and Wyoming, but both were by a combined four points.
    It’s an exercise in good scheduling. The Bison caught the Gophers in a toilet bowl year, got Central Michigan to overlook them and played Ball State when the Cardinals were in a coaching transition.
    They also got Wyoming when it was obvious the Cowboys were in the last year of head coach Joe Glenn’s tenure. The 16-13 loss in Laramie, Wyo., was a game the Bison had chances to win.
    NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor says he likes to schedule FBS teams from the Midwest “because we look and play a lot more like some of these teams than others.”
    In other words, the Bison are staying away from Florida, USC or Virginia Tech for their guarantee game. NDSU will be at Kansas in 2010 and back to Minnesota in 2011.
    “The longer you’re able to hang around in games like that, the more the pressure builds on the other team,” said Dave Coulson of The Sports Network. “We’ve seen that in the past in some of the games North Dakota State has played, where that kind of pressure starts to mount.”
    Two keys for the Bison to hang with Iowa State on Thursday: NDSU needs to keep it close in the first half and it needs to limit its turnovers. Last year, the Jackrabbits had six turnovers – five of them interceptions — in a 44-17 loss at Iowa State.
    “If (NDSU) can play physical football, that can equalize a lot of things,” Stiegelmeier said.
    The signature FCS win is Appalachian State’s upset over nationally-ranked Michigan two years ago. Second place belongs to The Citadel, which upset Arkansas in 1992, a game that cost the Razorbacks head coach his job the following day.
    Both Appalachian State and The Citadel were top ranked in their division those years. The Bison did not even get into the FCS top 25 coaches poll this month. But the Bison are also playing a program that has struggled in recent years in the Big 12.
    In July, Coulson said he and Bison head coach Craig Bohl had a conversation about the FCS vs. FBS games during the Missouri Valley Football Conference media day. The biggest problem, Bohl told Coulson, is the 22 extra scholarships by FBS teams.
    It makes a difference in the second half, Coulson said.
    Teams start to wear out,” Coulson said. “The (FCS) teams that do win, most of the times it’s hanging on at the end of games.”

By the way, this is exactly what i predicted would be the outcome on Thursday, close for a while and then second half isu pulling away with our huge offensive line against the depth of the defensive front of NDSU!!!!

Last edited by KMAC_ATTACK; 08-31-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 17

Re: Something I got from an NDSU fan.....

I thought this was going to be a thread about STDs.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,359
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 67

Re: Something I got from an NDSU fan.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocks View Post
    I thought this was going to be a thread about STDs.
    Beat me to it! Good work

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,212
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: ARTICLE I got from an NDSU fan.....

fixed it for ya cyrocks....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 186

Quote Originally Posted by FromISUADPresser
    ISU vs. MVC: The Cyclones are 13-1-1 in season opening games against teams currently in the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Nine of those wins are over Northern Iowa, while two came against South Dakota State. The only Iowa State loss to a Missouri Valley team in a season opener was in 1994, a 28-14 defeat at the hands of Northern Iowa.
    ISU has been pretty bad, but only lost once

North Dakota State completed its first season in the Missouri Valley Conference in 2008, going 6-5 overall and 4-4 in league play ... NDSU started the 2008 season ranked second and spent two weeks ranked No. 1 in the FCS Division before their skid... Bison head coach Craig Bohl spent 11 seasons as an assistant at Nebraska, winning the national title in 1995 and 1997 ... in both of NDSU’s last two seasons in the Great West Conference (D-2), the team went 10-1 and claimed the league title.

John Walters is my hero

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,064
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    fixed it for ya cyrocks....
    Had to give you a little jab, KMAC_ATTACK.

And I really should have thanked you for posting the article. It was a good read.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Rest assured cyclone fans....everyone up in Fargo is down on this years team. Here is todays latest quote from the head coah Craig Bohl along with a Q & A session with a local sports writer (Jeff Kolpack).

"with so much ambiguity with this team, this could be a long one (year)"

NDSU Football Insider Preview

Recently I got a chance to talk with NDSU Beat Writer Jeff Kolpack of The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead about his take on the Bison this season. His comments on various topics are below. You can find his blog here.
    Recent Program History:
    They were really good in '06 and '07 going 10-1 both years. Last year was supposed to be their year. They had 8 guys from that team that got pro looks of some-sort, I think 3 or 4 are still in NFL camps, one guy got drafted, and they went 6-5 last year. So that was a huge, huge letdown last year. Last year was their first year eligible for the playoffs in FCS. Everybody in Fargo was thinking last year was going to be the year and it turned out to be a big disappointment.
    Strengths:
    I'd say the offensive line, and on defense, Gratzek and Fairbairn in the middle. Other than that, it's a pretty new team.
    Question marks:
    A lot of question marks at Linebacker, Defensive Backfield, Receiver, Quarterback's unproven for the most part (Mertens).
    Season expectations:
    I look at this team as 6-5 would be a really good year. They're not nearly as talented as they were last year....
    Of the teams the last four years, this is the worst.
    (Thoughts on the ISU game after the jump)

Bison fan's thoughts about the game against Iowa State:
    This Division I stuff is still pretty new, so it's a pretty big deal, I think around here. As far as the game, I don't think anybody has any expectations like they did the previous years. I think if they somehow make a game of it, it would be considered a moral victory of sorts. I don't think anybody has any illusions that they are going to go in there and do what they did to the Gophers; this team just isn't as talented as the '07 team.
    What to look for from the Bison Offense:
    They gotta try to run the ball. The only way for a I-AA to stay with a I-A is you gotta somehow be physical with them, so I'm sure they'll try to run it. Especially because the passing game is, shall we say, "not very good right now". Nobody knows what to expect with the passing game. If I were Iowa State, if I could throw 38 people in the box on the line of scrimmage I would do that.
    What do look for from the Bison Defense:
    They play the Tampa 2 for the most part... I think the defense will be decent, pretty good. Arnaud looks like the kind of guy who could slice up this defense up pretty good. As far as the other games, I think the defense will do pretty well, but against Iowa State, I don't know. I see the Cyclones having a pretty good day against this team right now.
    Playmakers to watch for (besides guys already mentioned):
    Pashall is pretty good (the running back). He's a Senior. He's got a lot of talent, and is good enough to play in a major conference.
    Impact of the suspensions:
    It'll be huge. Shamen Washington is one of the top returners in the country, in I-AA. This guy has got "All-American" all over him. That's huge. He's their gamechanger. To not have him in this kind of game will be huge.
    Garret Johnson, starting defensive end I think is a very good player, that will hurt a lot not having him. The other guy is a backup quarterback so that will be irrelevant.
    Iowa State game prediction:
    I would say 2 years ago, I'd see the Bison being favored, last year I see it as an even game, and this year I see Iowa State winning by 2 or 3 touchdowns, minimum.
    Thanks again to Jeff Kolpack for giving his thoughts on the Bison!

Edit: The above article was taken from this link:

http://www.clonechronicles.com/2009/...nsider-preview

Last edited by coachdags; 08-31-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

that was the worst article i have ever read. it said nothing about how to upset us except saying "if ndsu keeps the game close by the second half they have a shot at winning"..... no shi*

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 857
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by MJ50311 View Post
    Rest assured cyclone fans....everyone up in Fargo is down on this years team. Here is todays latest quote from the head coah Craig Bohl along with a Q & A session with a local sports writer (Jeff Kolpack).

Recently I got a chance to talk with NDSU Beat Writer Jeff Kolpack of The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead about his take on the Bison this season. His comments on various topics are below. You can find his blog here.
    Recent Program History:
    They were really good in '06 and '07 going 10-1 both years. Last year was supposed to be their year. They had 8 guys from that team that got pro looks of some-sort, I think 3 or 4 are still in NFL camps, one guy got drafted, and they went 6-5 last year. So that was a huge, huge letdown last year. Last year was their first year eligible for the playoffs in FCS. Everybody in Fargo was thinking last year was going to be the year and it turned out to be a big disappointment.
    Strengths:
    I'd say the offensive line, and on defense, Gratzek and Fairbairn in the middle. Other than that, it's a pretty new team.
    Question marks:
    A lot of question marks at Linebacker, Defensive Backfield, Receiver, Quarterback's unproven for the most part (Mertens).
    Season expectations:
    I look at this team as 6-5 would be a really good year. They're not nearly as talented as they were last year....

This Division I stuff is still pretty new, so it's a pretty big deal, I think around here. As far as the game, I don't think anybody has any expectations like they did the previous years. I think if they somehow make a game of it, it would be considered a moral victory of sorts. I don't think anybody has any illusions that they are going to go in there and do what they did to the Gophers; this team just isn't as talented as the '07 team.
    They gotta try to run the ball. The only way for a I-AA to stay with a I-A is you gotta somehow be physical with them, so I'm sure they'll try to run it. Especially because the passing game is, shall we say, "not very good right now". Nobody knows what to expect with the passing game. If I were Iowa State, if I could throw 38 people in the box on the line of scrimmage I would do that.
    They play the Tampa 2 for the most part... I think the defense will be decent, pretty good. Arnaud looks like the kind of guy who could slice up this defense up pretty good. As far as the other games, I think the defense will do pretty well, but against Iowa State, I don't know. I see the Cyclones having a pretty good day against this team right now.
    Pashall is pretty good (the running back). He's a Senior. He's got a lot of talent, and is good enough to play in a major conference.
    It'll be huge. Shamen Washington is one of the top returners in the country, in I-AA. This guy has got "All-American" all over him. That's huge. He's their gamechanger. To not have him in this kind of game will be huge.
    Garret Johnson, starting defensive end I think is a very good player, that will hurt a lot not having him. The other guy is a backup quarterback so that will be irrelevant.
    I would say 2 years ago, I'd see the Bison being favored, last year I see it as an even game, and this year I see Iowa State winning by 2 or 3 touchdowns, minimum.
    This is the first realistic assessment of the game I've seen from anyone remotely connected to that program. I've said all along, their only chance is to run the ball and if they can't pass, it's going to be very difficult to run.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 55

Isn't 1/4 of the team suspended for getting busted driving drunk?

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MJ50311 View Post

Recent Program History:
    Strengths:
    Question marks:
    Season expectations:

how is Daniel Eaves doing at safety position for you guys? is he going to start?

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,212
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by WBfaceofisu4022 View Post
    how is Daniel Eaves doing at safety position for you guys? is he going to start?

Eaves gets first shot at free safety
    The free safety position was virtually worry-free for the Bison since Nick Schommer's freshman year when he took it over. Schommer is now with the Tennessee Titans. His replacement, sophomore Daniel Eaves, has done some nice things this fall. Certainly, we'll have to wait until game day, but Eaves has been manning the spot like he knows what he's doing.

Other stuff from today:

So far, nobody has been ruled out of the Iowa State opener on Sept. 3 because injury other than the ACL to true freshman tight end Kevin Vaadeland, who probably would have redshirted anyway.
    Freshman linebacker Eddie Beson continued individual workouts on the sideline in an effort to get back in pads. He missed last year with an ACL and had another procedure done over the summer.
    The defense had one of its best surges of fall camp with three interceptions in a short period of time by Freddie Banks, Josh Gatlin and Eaves. “I thought the secondary was really moving around well,” said head coach Craig Bohl.
    Quarterback Dante Perez, who sprained his ankle earlier this week, is expected to return to practice on Monday. Bohl said Perez is still in the mix, “but we’re getting to the point where we’ll be needing to name a starter.”
    It may not be until early next week for the starter to be named, but there can't be much doubt that Nick Mertens is the guy. He looked sharp for the most part on Thursday.
    Watching true freshman Justin Juckem work out on the sideline (minor injury) - this guy looks like he's already been through NDSU's strength and conditioning program for two years.
    Thursday was the last of the two-a-day practices. NDSU’s practice/scrimmage on Saturday will be closed to the media and public.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 441
    Given: 115

Couldn't have said it better myself. NDSU is NOT the world beater the fans seem to think they are. This just proves that this season could be even worse than the previous. All of you folks who think that this game could be a close one, you should really rethink your perspective. I expect this game to get ugly for the Bison, quick, fast and in a hurry.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by skelly View Post
    Nice one Skelly....according to this study/survey the odds are a few of the players are going to have an alcohol related problem

How Loaded Is Your State? Who Drinks The Most Beer.....

Analysis

Lets now look at these 14 states with the highest consumption of beer. 5 of them could be classified a upper midwest, somewhat rural states:
    • North Dakota 41.7
    • Montana 41.5
    • South Dakota 39.0
    • Wisconsin 38.2
    • Nebraska 36.6

Rookie
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by skelly View Post
    Which weekend were they hanging out in iowa city?

Cyclone State Now & Forever