Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 23

iTunes - iPod artwork issue

Does anybody else have an issue with iTunes putting the wrong album artwork on the songs on their iPod? I've got a couple: On Stephen Malkmus/Stephen Malkmus, I get some geeky looking gray-hair parted down the middle guy named Paul Stevens, or something like that; and on Marvin Gaye/What's Going On, I get Star Seach's Greatest Hits. Not a big deal. When I think about it at home, I just need to delete the current artwork and have it try to find it again, but it's kind of funny. I was curious if this happened to others, too?

Last edited by flynnhicks03; 08-31-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Mis-spelled Stephen
    I am a patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait...
    http://www.mapcon.com/US-EN/CMMS-Software

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 719
    Given: 2,853

Re: iTunes - iPod artwork issue

Quote Originally Posted by flynnhicks03 View Post
    Does anybody else have an issue with iTunes putting the wrong album artwork on the songs on their iPod? I've got a couple: On Stephen Malkmus/Steven Malkmus, I get some geeky looking gray-hair parted down the middle guy named Paul Stevens, or something like that; and on Marvin Gaye/What's Going On, I get Star Seach's Greatest Hits. Not a big deal. When I think about it at home, I just need to delete the current artwork and have it try to find it again, but it's kind of funny. I was curious if this happened to others, too?
    Did you buy the songs/albums directly from iTunes, or did you do the "search for artwork" thing with a song you've bought elsewhere? If it was the latter, I think iTunes isn't always super-smart about finding the correct album artwork.

In other news, it saddens me that Star Search has a market that will buy its greatest hits.

M 7/09

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    Did you buy the songs/albums directly from iTunes, or did you do the "search for artwork" thing with a song you've bought elsewhere? If it was the latter, I think iTunes isn't always super-smart about finding the correct album artwork.

In other news, it saddens me that Star Search has a market that will buy its greatest hits.
    I did the search for artwork thing. I think it started when I added these songs to my wife's Touch. Up until then, Malkmus and Marvin had the correct artwork, I believe.

I am a patient boy. I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait...
    http://www.mapcon.com/US-EN/CMMS-Software

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by flynnhicks03 View Post
    I did the search for artwork thing. I think it started when I added these songs to my wife's Touch. Up until then, Malkmus and Marvin had the correct artwork, I believe.
    Honestly, I think the Touches themselves have some weird issues with artwork. I pre-ordered mine when they were first released, and I've had to restore it twice because it just randomly deleted all of my artwork.

M 7/09

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 367

You can always go back and fix this yourself. In fact, I generally pick my own album artwork myself (since I'm still a sap that purchases CDs and within 5 minutes of getting home I rip the MP3s). What I'll do is go to Amazon.com, search for the album, copy the artwork for the album on that site, go back into iTunes, select each and every song that belongs to that particular album, go to the file properties, and paste in the album artwork. Seems to work for me.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    You can always go back and fix this yourself. In fact, I generally pick my own album artwork myself (since I'm still a sap that purchases CDs and within 5 minutes of getting home I rip the MP3s). What I'll do is go to Amazon.com, search for the album, copy the artwork for the album on that site, go back into iTunes, select each and every song that belongs to that particular album, go to the file properties, and paste in the album artwork. Seems to work for me.
    This is what I often do, as well - the Touch just seems to glitch on occasion. It may just be mine, or just the really early ones, but artwork can get scrambled.

M 7/09

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 1

This is what I found out works. Do a Google image search of the CD. 98% of the time you can find what you're looking for. If that doesn't work and you have a scanner or one of those all-in-one printers, you can scan the cover of the booklet in and then edit it to fit. In all the years of using Itunes, I've only had to do this about four times.

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,005
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 28

Wait a sec...you telling me if I put an album on my ipod that I didn't buy from itunes I can still search and apply the artwork? For free?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 786
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Wait a sec...you telling me if I put an album on my ipod that I didn't buy from itunes I can still search and apply the artwork? For free?
    Yes, the artwork itself is embedded in the mp3 (or m4a or aac or whatever format) encoding.

In iTunes, right click on the file(s) you want to add the artwork to and click on Edit Info (or similarly named menu item) and you should be able to insert an image you have strored on your computer as the album artwork.

Note that iTunes has a very funny way of managing the file tags and sometimes will and sometimes wont actually write the data back to the file. So if you ever have to uninstall iTunes you might lose any and all formatting you've done to your library.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bader View Post
    Yes, the artwork itself is embedded in the mp3 (or m4a or aac or whatever format) encoding.

In iTunes, right click on the file(s) you want to add the artwork to and click on Edit Info (or similarly named menu item) and you should be able to insert an image you have strored on your computer as the album artwork.

Note that iTunes has a very funny way of managing the file tags and sometimes will and sometimes wont actually write the data back to the file. So if you ever have to uninstall iTunes you might lose any and all formatting you've done to your library.
    You can also usually (note that I said "usually") just right-click in the image window in the lower left (assuming you display cover artwork) and paste. You can also change the names of your albums, etc. It's a myth that iTunes is strict about managing your music.

M 7/09