Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 23

History of the ISU MBB Student Section

I was talking to a kid today who said that the entire lower south side of Hilton was for students. I had heard much differently and am curious if anyone can recall to 15-20-30 years ago. Where was the (if there was a) student section at Hilton Coliseum and how many students were in it compared to today's Cyclone Alley?

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,054
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 7

Re: History of the ISU MBB Student Section

Late 90's I had a few of my tickets behind the hoops and then placed nicely in the Bob Uecker seats after that.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

In the mid 90s you had multiple student sections. One great, one good, and one or two bad ones. You would get tickets that moved you around between the sections. Of course when I was in school, you had a lottery for tickets and basically had to be a junior or senior to even get them.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 6

Early 80's it was all festival seating, on the north side of the parquet, balcony if you were late or didn't have someone save you seats.

I am not aware of students ever being on the south side of the parquet

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Back in the mid 80s (83-87) there was no student section.

Your seats rotated between four locations as I recall...arena circle (mostly endzone), parquet, balcony sideline, balcony endzone. If there were 16 home games you would sit in each seat 4 times. You sat mixed in with the non-student ticketholders.

In retrospect, I believe this method of seating (along with the exciting BB team that JO put on the floor) was what allowed us to give birth to what would later be named "Hilton Magic" during this timeframe. Often, the students in each section would strongly encourage the older ticketholders to get into the game when our Cyclones needed a boost.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    Back in the mid 80s (83-87) there was no student section.

Your seats rotated between four locations as I recall...arena circle (mostly endzone), parquet, balcony sideline, balcony endzone. If there were 16 home games you would sit in each seat 4 times. You sat mixed in with the non-student ticketholders.

In retrospect, I believe this method of seating (along with the exciting BB team that JO put on the floor) was what allowed us to give birth to what would later be named "Hilton Magic" during this timeframe. Often, the students in each section would strongly encourage the older ticketholders to get into the game when our Cyclones needed a boost.
    There were seasons in there with rotating tickets, but I had them in 85-86 and 86-87 and I know in at least one of them we had fixed seats in the last rows of the balcony behind one of the baskets.

I don't know whether it would be better or worse today, but having the students spread around helped back then IMO. Encouraged other people to get up and quit sitting on their hands.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Ah the good days before cyclone (PC) alley.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 254

early 2000s just behind the visitor's bench - oh the trash we talked! and we said it LOUD!

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 4

When Hilton opened, and at least up until '83 when I left Iowa, the student sections were in the parquet on the North side, and then up into the balcony. The seats in the arena circle, both North and South sides were general public season ticket-holders and donors. The South side parquet was also season-ticket holders and donors. The arena circle seats on the end were general admission and were used for the band also. The balcony on the South side was mostly reserved seats, sold either as a season ticket, or as a single-game seat. The East and West end balcony sections were usually general admission, but could also be sold as reserved seats for bigger games.

IIRC, at some point the student section in the North parquet was cut down to like 2 sections, and the other seats were then sold as season tickets. This was a few years after opening.

I have no idea what happened after '83.

Addict
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,332
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 155

We had the rotating seating sections like BrianHos said. You got to choose which games you had the better sections i believe. A couple in the parquet behind the benches and the rest were up in the upper level. I loved the parquet seats. We were always able to get good seats for Kansas or Texas Tech. I remember riding the hell outta Tony Battie after Cato whooped him all game long.

#BEATIOWA

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 66
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'll chime in here since this is in my wheelhouse. Agreed on the rotating seats. I was at Iowa State from '81 - '85. I am thinking the rotating seating began with the '83-84 season or the '84-'85 season. All the kool-aid resin has made things a little hazy, but I do remember the rotating seating. Prior to that if I recall correctly, was first come first serve in the sections mentioned previously. Everyone wanted down by Johnny and this allowed everyone a chance. As to how it compares to today's student sections, I think there were more student sections and were filled fairly consistently. This sounds like angry old man, but I think there were more students at those games. The balcony endzone sections were the only bare spots when they did exist.

Best games best seat combo was in the third row parquet behind Johnny for the first win over Iowa in double overtime. The noise was not just deafening, but you could feel the noise pounding on your chest raining down from the balcony. Had similar seats for the Indiana game when 'nice haircut boy' killed us from the top of the key all night off of screens and an Oklahoma game where Wayman Tisdale's 'Charles Barkley badonka donk(sp LOL)' was a load down low. However, Barry countered him almost shot for shot from the deep baseline. You would think 'NO BARRY, DON'T....NICE SHOT'. Seeing Johnny chew on the refs (and Barry ) was priceless. Rest in peace Barry and Wayman, your talent entertained and thrilled all.

And as long as we're walking down memory lane, I always like to resurrect the memory of the Jeff Hornacek almost 3/4 court behind the back pass to Ron Virgil? (not completely sure if he was the recipient, but that is who I have pictured).

Ok, enough memory lane...cue Barbara Streisand.....

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73

Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    I was talking to a kid today who said that the entire lower south side of Hilton was for students.
    It is...for volleyball. South arena circle.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 944
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

It is as mentioned. Student section stadium seating in the parquet and the ends. Group tickets sold for the 82-83 season. by the 86-87 season I was lucky to get tickets in the top row on the end. I remember Bubbles sitting behind the Missouri bench the year after Steve Stipanovich accidentally shot himself. Bubbles had a machine gun and had both Steve and Norm Stewart turned around yelling and pointing fingers at him during the game.

Are you out there Bubbles?

Recruit
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

....at ISU from '84 to '88 and the gentleman that discussed the 4 rotating seats did a good job, with the exception of the students being intermingled with general ticketholders. NOT TRUE.

The students had 2 sections of the parquet, behind the visitors bench, and half of the entire balcony, going from the east end around to the north and all the way to the west end. I've always said upwards of 5,000 student season ticketholders. It had to be the record. There were 70 guys on my dorm floor and 25 or 30 had season tickets. Gotta remember, the product was hot and there was no playstation, internet or texting.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

In the late 90's it was what are now sections 110 and 111 plus the sections right behind the hoop in 142, 101, and 102 I believe. Upper levl was from 207 all the way over to 216 which was basically the entire north part of the upper deck. Sadly the student attendance now compared to when I was there (98-02) pales in comparison because you could not even get a decent upper level seat during the 99-00 season without showing up nearly an hour before tip off.

Go Cubs Go!