Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: RIP: Chief Illiniwek

By all means, no. That's not what I'm saying. It's a difficult point to try and type and get across. It just seems that this is one of those issues where those who are supposed to be offended - aren't the ones who are offended. And those who are offended - have no business being offended.

I know a number of gay couples who are offended (for lack of a better term) by peoples actions and speak. And just about every vile word that comes out of Steve Deace's racist mouth. So I have a reason to be offended. I don't know a single Native American who says - man, that Kansas City Chiefs thing keeps me up and night. No instead I see alot of "White guilt" telling Native Americans they should be offended.

I'm sure there are people who are, and have reason, to be offended. But I again, I don't see them the mics of these things to often. And this isn't 1890's wild west and Native American extermination, or 1860's slavery, so "come on" yourself. Here's the reson why this doesn't have much legs for be Hotdon. Do you know why there aren't that many Native Americans interested in this issue? They don't care. They have real problems. Why aren't these people protesting the squalor that is the Native American reservations? The XX times higher incidences of alcoholism, the X times higher rate of suicide. The disgrace that is their educational system and opportunities? No, it's far sexier to take on the NCAA or NFL - that get's names in the paper.

I'm on both sides of this issue. I can see why "Redskins", in particular is offenseive and deplorable. I'm just waiting for anything resembling a sizable number of Native Americans to say as much, and not just a college "current affairs" class, the ACLU, or some such org. I've given examples of what I've seen on this issue, what the people AFFECTED have to say. What I found particularly funny, was that when the numbers stacked up against the protestors (Native American to Native American), one protestor (Billy Mills, the US Gold Medal distance runner) said that the other side won't tell you the truth, they're being "polite". That their side, is the only true side. So in this protest - at least Billy's, the truth is whatever he says it is, despite the numbers.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 02-17-2007 at 08:55 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 28

The Seminole Tribe supports Florida State.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 282
    Given: 185

The Chippewa tribe supports Central Michigan

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Maybe everyone eventually will be a Coyote, BlueJay, Cardinal, Hawk, Dolphin, Jay Hawk, etc.
    Dolphins have feelings too man!!!

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 110

I think its a bunch of crap. People in Urbana don't sit around and say "how can we **** off native americans today...." No, its tradition...people need to get their heads out of their @$$'s and realize that not everyone is out to be disrespectful. Technically, anything these days are politically incorrect......anyone who has suffered loss in a tornado could claim the cyclones are disrespectful.....grow up.

Remember that stressed spelled backwards is desserts!

"The New England Patriots: As annoying as the Yankess, just with 23 fewer titles."

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

Native Americans view Eagle feathers as sacred, much like Christians view the cross as sacred. You'd probably be pretty p*ssed off if someone adorned themselves with a cross or dragged a cross across the basketball floor as a way to fire up the crowd.

And if you've got an opinion, it doesn't mean you're being politically correct. It means you, personally, don't approve. You're being politically correct when you bow to pressure to alter your opinion from someone else.

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Does touchdown Jesus offend anyone?

Last edited by chadm; 02-17-2007 at 11:52 AM.
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post

I know a number of gay couples who are offended (for lack of a better term) by peoples actions and speak. And just about every vile word that comes out of Steve Deace's racist mouth.
    Since when did hatred of gays become racist? I despise this about Deace too, but it is not racists. He is a homophobe, not a racist. Well at least not that I have heard.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mjones34 View Post
    I think its a bunch of crap. People in Urbana don't sit around and say "how can we **** off native americans today...." No, its tradition...people need to get their heads out of their @$$'s and realize that not everyone is out to be disrespectful. Technically, anything these days are politically incorrect......anyone who has suffered loss in a tornado could claim the cyclones are disrespectful.....grow up.

No it is just a bunch of whiney snobs that sit around wondering what they can ***** and whine about next. This just happends to be a the whiney topic of the moment.

How about that guy in west des moines that is whining about garbage cans outside peoples houses. Wow I wish I had that kinda time on my hands. I mean to spend time worrying about where people put their trash can... People just have too much free time. Get a hobby and stop bothering me.

Last edited by brianhos; 02-17-2007 at 12:04 PM.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

You're right - improper term, my bad.

I like his new angle on homo-sexuality, that it's not choice, but rather just an unhealthy lifestyle. That the incidents of AIDS and anal-cancer is so much higher.

How ironic. I find it funny that a guy who is so morbidly obese will talk about unhealthy lifestyles. He's probably in a category due to his lifestyle that puts him at risk of umpteen heath issues that'll kill him by 40.

Of course then he gets on his pulpit and preaches about "a good church and salvation". Just about puked.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 02-17-2007 at 11:54 AM.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

My high school had a cross in it's school logo, and that logo was on the basketball court.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Brianhos: It sounds like you've been listening to too much "paranoid conservative" media, spouting "whiney liberal" all over the place. How about instead of identifying these people who, as Cartman would say, "have sand in their vaginas" not as a political area, but for what they really are, Idiots.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    Brianhos: It sounds like you've been listening to too much "paranoid conservative" media, spouting "whiney liberal" all over the place. How about instead of identifying these people who, as Cartman would say, "have sand in their vaginas" not as a political area, but for what they really are, Idiots.
    Whiney sand in their vaginas idiots it is.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    My high school had a cross in it's school logo, and that logo was on the basketball court.
    I hear ya, i just doubt you decorated your mascot with a cross. If an all Native American school decided to incorporate elements of their religon into their school symbol, everyone would be fine with that as well, i assume.

My perspective on this issue has really changed over the last five years. Five years ago, i'd have agreed that the hoopla around Illinewek (or more at home here, the North Dakota Fightin' Sioux) was overblown. But now, in the summer, i live in a community in Northern Minnesota that is about 50% Native American, and have observed and even partaken in their spiritual activities. I don't think all Native Americans are as upset as the vocal minority, but i do think that it doesn't sit well with a lot of Native Americans. Especially younger ones, who are more exposed to popular culture than the previous generation of Native Americans.

And i can honestly say that i wouldn't want elements of my Christian background integrated into the mascots. The religous artifacts of Native Americans, in many cases, pre-dates Christianity.

I try not be to in-your-face about this issue, but i believe that many people's perspective would change if they didn't live in a society that has essentially no Native American population.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ce1 View Post
    I hear ya, i just doubt you decorated your mascot with a cross. If an all Native American school decided to incorporate elements of their religon into their school symbol, everyone would be fine with that as well, i assume.

My perspective on this issue has really changed over the last five years. Five years ago, i'd have agreed that the hoopla around Illinewek (or more at home here, the North Dakota Fightin' Sioux) was overblown. But now, in the summer, i live in a community in Northern Minnesota that is about 50% Native American, and have observed and even partaken in their spiritual activities. I don't think all Native Americans are as upset as the vocal minority, but i do think that it doesn't sit well with a lot of Native Americans. Especially younger ones, who are more exposed to popular culture than the previous generation of Native Americans.

And i can honestly say that i wouldn't want elements of my Christian background integrated into the mascots. The religous artifacts of Native Americans, in many cases, pre-dates Christianity.

I try not be to in-your-face about this issue, but i believe that many people's perspective would change if they didn't live in a society that has essentially no Native American population.
    Interesting take. thank you for your unique and enlightened perspective. I generally think all of this "offensive issues" talk, usually led by people having no vested interest is so overblown... but you have a good point.