Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 7

RIP: Chief Illiniwek

University of Illinois has caved in and is putting Chief Illiniwek out to pasture. Tribune article HERE.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: RIP: Chief Illiniwek

It's about time.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think it's terrible. My mom is an Illini alum and is pretty passionate about this tradition. Apparently the native americans have supported this tradition and they don't make a mockery out of it. It's a very serious and honored tradition at Illinois and it's a shame to see it go. What next, are they going to make us rename the Kansas City Chiefs, Washington Redskings, Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians, etc?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 7

I'm with travman, I hope the Illini can find a way to keep their mascot. Having attended a school that was forced to give up a Native American mascot myself, I can say that it is a blow to the school. When something that has been a symbol and a source of identity for a school for this long is taken away by an outside group, it is really hard to replace. A mascot such as the Chief can be trickier than some, and it is important to do it in a respectful manner, but I really hope they manage to keep him in some form.

Not that it would ever happen and it probably isn't the best comparison, but how would everyone here feel if the NCAA determined that Cy is "is humiliating and creates a hostile environment on campus." I know ISU would go on but to lose our identity at the Cyclones is something that would really be a blow to the school. I'm glad that we won't ever find ourselves in the mess that Illinois is in with their mascot and nickname, but I still wish them the best of luck in their fight.

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Where does this end? The state name Illinois is a native american name. Should it be replaced? How about Iowa? Should I be upset that Dallas has the nickname the Cowboys? Will PETA come after the bears, lions, or seahawks? I don't think of teams nicknames as being disrespectful but a source of pride for a group of students and fans.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 91

Yes Sioux City Morningside used to be the Morningside Cheifs and now they are the Mustangs. It was tough and alot of the Alumni were irritated.

Rookie Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Not that it would ever happen and it probably isn't the best comparison, but how would everyone here feel if the NCAA determined that Cy is "is humiliating and creates a hostile environment on campus." I know ISU would go on but to lose our identity at the Cyclones is something that would really be a blow to the school. I'm glad that we won't ever find ourselves in the mess that Illinois is in with their mascot and nickname, but I still wish them the best of luck in their fight.
    I could see it, and it wouldn't surprise me. I am a little surprised that the Hurricanes have never come under fire. Someone has to believe that it is offensive to have a natural disaster as a mascot. Natural disasters cause destruction and death to humans and they should not be glorified by a public institution...Oh no, it has started.
    Go Redbirds/Cardinals. At least Cy could still exist.

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    Where does this end? The state name Illinois is a native american name. Should it be replaced? How about Iowa? Should I be upset that Dallas has the nickname the Cowboys? Will PETA come after the bears, lions, or seahawks? I don't think of teams nicknames as being disrespectful but a source of pride for a group of students and fans.
    The problem is that we live in a society where everyone whines until they get their way. That's why I cannot have a cigarrette in either LA or SF (forget which one has "smoke zones" where that's the only area you can smoke outside). Also, some state passed a law that you can no longer smoke inside YOUR OWN CAR if someone else is a NON SMOKER. I'm sorry, I'm in my private property, (car) so I can smoke if I want you. We also can't drive without wearing a seatbelt. I"m waiting until it's law that I can no longer go hunting/fishing because I could potentially injure myself and/or others (not to mention the animal.) It's just rediculous.
    I realize the thing with smoking, it makes sense to ban smoking indoors, and even within a radius of entryways. But to say I can't smoke outside on public properties is ludicrous. Indoors is fine, outside, you have a greater risk of skin cancer than second-hand smoke related cancer.

::stands down from soapbox:: Sorry for the rant, but that felt good.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Pro
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 626
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

I heard the Weather Channel was starting a petition to ban the Hurricanes and the Cyclones

2009 FLHR - Vivid Black

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Well I'm sure we can rehash the irony that is the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, and not allowing the Illinois mascot to come to Ia City.

As to where does it end, and the pro-team's mentioned above.

I agree, at least to a point. "Redskins" is one that really is a little over the top. In case you don't know (I didn't), it's not a reference to the general color of the skin, but something rather more graphic and gastly.

But the Braves, Chiefs, etc - I don't get that? Mascots are choosen to signify pride and strength. I guess I would look at it as something to be proud of. Is that different than Spartans, Vikings, Roughriders, etc? You don't often hear about the "Fighting Sissy-boys" (somebody send that to Barta when they realize they have a Native American name in Ia City). Where I do understand the issue is when you see people get dressed up in wardrobe and make a$$es out of themselves. I can see where that would bug some thinner skinned folks. Anyway, I'm not part of that culture, so it's not really my place to say whether it's right or wrong, I just don't get it in most cases.

HBO Real Sports had a segment on this topic about a year or so ago. The main protestor was half Native American and an attendee of U of Illinois. She was also railing against some HS near a reservation that was using the mascot Braves. A large number of the students (near half I believe) were Native Americans and barely any had a problem. A couple of older fellas even said, in reference to her, "I don't need somebody to come in here and tell me that I need to be offended".

But I agree with her. As a person of Irish decent and large stature - I'm readily offended by the notion of "Fighting Irish" and feel the New York and San Francisco Giants demean my girth. (<-- For those of you who are sarcasm challenged, this is a joke)

Last edited by DaddyMac; 02-16-2007 at 02:30 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

To me, this is another example of how the minority complains til they get their way. The vast majority of the population would not take offense to Illinois' nickname and mascot, however, the very small percentage of people that decided it was offensive are getting their way.

It's that way with nearly EVERYTHING now. Take for instance Christmas. I took a multicultural education class at ISU a few years ago, and the professor would whine and complain every day about how wrong our country was. He is the same guy that wrote the controversial editorial in the Daily entitled, " T'isn't the Season " In our class and in the article he would complain about how it was so offensive to him that we would put Christmas decorations up around campus, both decorations put up by the university and individuals on campus in their offices, etc. Now I'm pretty sure the majority of people in the U.S. celebrate Christmas. In fact, I don't know a single person that doesn't celebrate. He would argue that even Santa Claus and the secular symbols for christmas were offensive. It wasn't necessarily from a religious standpoint, but rather just a general viewpoint that Christmas was offensive to him and others and that any sort of displays in public (or in people's offices on campus) should be taken down because it imposes on his religious beliefs. Basically what he was saying was that if he doesn't celebrate Christmas, then nobody else should be able to.

This guy would go on to say that he was offended when he received heterosexual wedding invitations. (yes, he was gay) He said if he couldn't get married to his "partner," then he would not recognize a marriage between a man and a woman. He told us he would throw away the wedding invitations he received because it was offensive to him. He subsequently had not been to a wedding in years.

It some states they don't say the Pledge of Allegiance in school because a handful of people find it offensive. Some groups want to take "In God we trust" off of our money cause they don't believe in God. And to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if that happened in the next couple years too.

The United States is so tolerant of other cultures in the U.S. When's the last time you opened the newspaper and read about some minority group(and I don't mean just ethnic minorities) getting their rights, customs and traditions stripped away from them. Instead the vast majority of the population is being constantly regulated as to what we can and cannot do. There probably isn't a single thing in the world that everyone likes and agrees with. People are going to take offense and have a difference of opinion about everything...and that is fine. That's what makes the U.S. so wonderful. You can come here and choose to believe and do as you want.

I'm a very tolerant person in general, but it is this type of attitude that has reshaped our society in the last couple years, and in my opinion, for the worse. We cater to the small percentage of people that have these different beliefs and feelings. The main thing is that you can't please all the people all the time. Nobody is ever going to be completely happy or satisfied. So where do you draw the line?

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I had Professor Blumenfeild too, htown!! Small world er.. campus.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    STOP IT!

You just tried to apply logic to liberals! Stop that nonsene now, there is no room for logic in a PC battle.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

That's just crazy.

Bill Mahrer had a great quote in one of his standup routines.

"Don't become so tolerant that you tolerate intolerance."

Sounds like what that prof expects. I'm sure that guy is tenured and untouchable too.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

It's ridiculous! From what I've read and heard in the past, the Illiniwek tribe had no problem with this mascot and wanted it kept. So, it was basically the PC and holier than thou crowd in the NCAA that said he still has to go. I think it's just one more step in the weeniefication of the country.