Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 2

What makes us think we will be any better....(ITS LONG)

I've heard this a hundred times from my friends (hawk fans) And for the record, i think we will....but what most people in the football knowledge say ISU umm 10 game losing streak, coach left them high and dry and they hire another guy with no head coaching experience, this team is going to be really bad again.... But, those people are the ones that only know ISU from picking up the newspaper and seeing they lost this game or that game....Those of us football fans that cheer for ISU, look a little deeper especially at our own team to evaluate successes and failures. For us, to think that 7-5 is a potential record with a shot at a bowl is not unrealistic....

Lets evaluate last season:

SDSU - Convincing win, 44-17, a lot of offense and the team left points on the field.
    Kent St - 48-28, another convincing win, but holes beginning to show on defense.
    Iowa - crushing defeat 17-5 on a sloppy, nasty day. conditions negated any speed differences for both teams, but our defense as a whole played very well. This game was far closer then the 12 point margin with ISU holding every offensive stat except rushing and only lost that by 45 yards to what would become the Doak Walker Award winning running back. Iowas offense did little in the passing game only completing 9 passes all day. Three plays i remember this game by - Phatom helmet to helmet contact, Brodell slipping every would be tackler for isu for a back breaking special teams TD and the overall inept ability of our offensive coaching staff to get a play called in critical situations to either get a td or a first down.....too many delay of game penalties.
    UNLV - First half hangover from iowa....lose this heartbreaker 34-31, but the team rebounded like few ISU teams in history. They fell behind early by a large margin 21-0, only to fight their way back and tie the game with 3 seconds left to force overtime. In the overtime, our offense lacked the spark and UNLV hit pay dirt....crushing defeat that could have gone either way.
    Kansas - went from jumping around the living room yelling "Thats what i'm talkin about" with glory to kicking the dog!!!! ISU had KU on the ropes and couldnt deliver a knockout punch. Instead we allowed KU to dominate the third quarter and ultimately win by 2 points. Another victory in our grasp and we let it slip away...
    Baylor - Total domination...Loss 38-10, lost every phase of this game.....team had no fight and may be reeling from UNLV and KU losses....different mindset if this team comes into this game 4-1 or even 5-0.... instead this team looked ill prepared and not ready to fight for that road win.
    Nebraska - 35-7, you want to talk about a ill prepared team....this was one of the worst games i've ever seen played by one team...we had nothing - nothing to stop Nebraska - they kept running the same play over and over.....3 wr set, play action, swift crossing at 10 yards and two outer wr going deep. Swift would be open and get the ball for easy 15 yards whenever they wanted it....this team just is not ready to play......
    Texas A&M - 49-35 they came out ready to play....but at this point in the season the generic defense were playing is not working, its failing badly and nobody knows how to fix it....we give up a whoppin 509 yards of total offense.....but incredibly, we actually compiled 574 yards of offense....but still come up on the losing end of things. The teams looks disjointed....the offense is performing, but inconsistently and it seems any time they turn it over or have another brain fart the other team scores right away!!!! Not functioning as a team.
    Oklahoma St - 59-17, now i see why they're ranked 8th.....
    Colorado - 28-24, our coaches once again put our team in a position to fail. You have to have a run/pass option at this point. Considering we were at the one, if the qb comes down the line and sees the lb and safety closing on him and the rb, he has to have an out....well he didnt and pitched to arob who got jacked up for a 2 yard loss and the ballgame.....another one slips through our fingers.....
    Missouri - another flat game against one of the nations best players spells our fate....52-20, never in it, and again mental make up of the team looks bad....
    Kansas State - What a promising loss 38-30....on the road, this team really looked to have some fight in them....but still came up short...outgaining KSU by nearly 200 yards and compiling one of the greatest offensive games in ISU history with 626 yards of offense....we have three turnovers, they have none...ball game.....

This team played good enough offensively to win 7-8 games last year....obviously with blowouts to Baylor, Nebby, Okie st, Missouri we did not play well enough in any of those games to have a shot......

But in the other 6 losses, this team found a way to lose either offensively, defensively or special teams. This team gave up a whoppin 2.5 passing touchdowns a game....with 7 games of 3 or more.....

Our offense was terrible in the red zone - 108th......check out this stat we made it to the opponents red zone 52 times and only had 26 touchdowns - conversely Rice made it to their opponents red zone 57 times and scored 46 touchdowns....you do the math...for us though, our td percentage was 50% and this is even more incredible....out of the 52 times in the red zone, we didnt score any points 15 times......thats crazy.....

The reason for my record prediction of 7-5 is very layered.
    1. Better prepared, imo our offensive and defensive staffs are far superior in raw coaching ability to the departed staffs. Out of the two staffs the only two that i thought were better with Chizik were Fountain and Rodgers at TE and WR. Main reason for Fountain was his recruiting was off the charts, i think Messingham is a very good TE coach. With Rodgers, i just thought he was a very very good coach and it shows now that he's coaching in Denver with the misfit Brandon Marshall....
    2. Offensive production in the red zone will be improved.
    3. Defensive fundamentals - Coach Burnham is looking for discipline and fundamentals, you give him that and you will be a player.
    4. Biggest area for improvement is defensively, and i think with Burnham and his ability to game plan, Bray and Burnham coaching the line, one of the premier linebacker coaches in the nation in Burnham running the middle and Coach Ash running the secondary are defense will be prepared and improved. We will not be a top 30 defense like Coach had at South Florida, but a jump into the 60-70 would not be unrealistic. This defense has talent - the secondary is deep and very talented.
    5. I love our corners....i think with a year under Johnsons belt and Banks out there trying to prove he can play at the next level, these guys will be exactly what Burnham wants out of his corners, guys that can man the islands and that allows him to bring pressure from different schemes with the CB man to man.
    6. Big twelve north has had a huge turnover in qb's....only experienced guy back is Reesing and KU will be tough. But, this team has shown they can compete with KU, can they do it down in Lawrence with KU playing for potentially a North title, we will see....
    7. Special teams will not give up 3 returns for touchdowns as they did a year ago. I think with Coach Rhoads giving them emphasis, it will help their overall production and it is an important aspect of the game....

Thats it, thats my rant on why this team will be better.....

Time will tell.....7-5 is very realistic even for a team that has a 10 game losing streak and a 17 game road losing streak.....streaks are meant to be broken.....so we can eclipse several in one year, Gotta start with NDSU.....

Last edited by KMAC_ATTACK; 08-28-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 50

Re: What makes us think we will be any better....(ITS LONG)

Last year, IMO, was a fluke with a fluke of a head coach. Things will be different this season.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 11

Didn't someone else start a thread like this earlier?

For the doom and gloomers...ISU won't be any better.

For the average fan...ISU will be a little bit better.

For the kool-aid drinkers (myself included)...ISU will have a winning record.

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Kent St was far from a convincing win. That game was close well into the 4th quarter

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

As a team we only scored on 71% of our red zone visits. 15 times we failed to score at all. Our opponents converted 86% (38-44) of the time, and scored touchdowns 77% of the time (34-44). The only had to settle for 3 points four times all season once inside the 20.

In those close games, we were:
    Iowa (0-3): 2 FG, 1 TD and an 2 pt conversion from a tie (figuring we wouldn't have gotten the safety)
    UNLV (2-2)
    Kansas (4-5): 1 More FG Wins it
    A&M (6-8)
    CU (4-5)
    KSU (3-5)

Prospect
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrocks View Post
    Didn't someone else start a thread like this earlier?

For the doom and gloomers...ISU won't be any better.

For the average fan...ISU will be a little bit better.

For the kool-aid drinkers (myself included)...ISU will have a winning record.
    My belief is that in two years the one thing that Chizik managed to do for the team was destroy the spirit of ISU Football. Regardless of team talent or recruiting the team that was left by Chizik psychologically was not the team he inherited from DMac. I think what is inspiring the fan base this year is the idea that CPR has the ability to bring the cyclone spirit back to this team. Deep down inside I don't think anyone is expecting the clones to go undefeated and win the NC this year or next but for me at least it is that feeling now with CPR that it is POSSIBLE within the next few years to be accomplishing great things. Believe it is that more than anything else that is bringing out the kool-aid drinkers

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 42

I really think it is POSSIBLE we go to the Big 12 Championship this year. I say this because I don't see a breakaway team in the North. Yes, Kansas had Todd Reesing but do you think they improved as much as we did over the offseason? We were whalloping them in the first have this year. As far as Missouri and Kansas, who really knows. Both will have first year starters at QB and lost one of their big skill position players as well. I really do not think it is a severe long shot for ISU or Baylor to somehow, through tiebreakers, make it to the Championship game. Then we're just one fluke away from a BCS Bowl. I can't believe I just said that. Just look at our schedule. Tell me it is impossible for us to go 4-1 in the Big 12 North and 5-2 in the Big 12 overall. If we can do that, and we get lucky, it COULD happen. I am in no way predicting it will. I am just saying that it is possible.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,323
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 42

We will know were things stand by the end of the second game. If ISU can beat NDSU convincingly and either beat or at least come close to beating Iowa, then the team might make some noise in the Big 12. At this point noone has a clue how good most teams are because all they can look at is what they have been doing against themselves. I do agree that the core coaches under CPR look better than GC. Bolt had to be the worst DC in the country, so I for one am expecting improvement just from the coaches.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I'll second your 7-5!!! Again this will happen only with good smart coaching and no significant injuries. One or more of our opponents will be better this year than projected, and another one or two will disappoint their fans and be worse. ISU could pick off a close game and probably lose another they thought they should have (at least on paper). For them to get a bowl win and finish 8-5 would be a good way to end the decade. We have too many good athletes to be 2-10 again, just coach them!

You know, if Rhodes wins 8 games in his first year there would be a good chance he would be Big XII coach of the year, that is if Stoops or Brown don't win the NC.

Last edited by anticyclonic; 08-28-2009 at 07:20 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

1) We have a much improved coaching staff - I think
    2) New players to bolster LB, DB and receivers
    3) Limitless supply of high test Kool-Aid and an insatiable appetite for same

Legend
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 514

Quote Originally Posted by Minnyclone View Post
    My belief is that in two years the one thing that Chizik managed to do for the team was destroy the spirit of ISU Football.
    Horse hockey. After the final game of the season, long before Chizik left, departing R.J. Sumrall said that this year's team would get nine wins. Nine. Does that sound like a destroyed spirit?

I would feel better about this team had, say, Taylor Martin qualified, simply because we have less margin for error/injuries. However, here are the reasons that I see imnprovement this season.

1. Improved DB's.
    Lots of people complained about the line last season, but that wasn't entirely justified when the pass was often off in a couple of seconds long before any lineman even has a chance to get to the quarterback. And all too often, receivers (or running backs) would simply sidestep a certain departed player, and run on downfield for massive gains (see A&M).

Well, in the first instance, the corners will be much improved. Lj was playing the position last season aftre only a handful of plays on defense in high school, and Kennard Banks was injured, then lugging around a huge cast. Ash also appears to be a more than competent coach.

In the second place, David Sims looks like he could be an excellent replacement at the position, and he and James Smith, with some help from Allen Bell, should form a solid duo--which is a vast improvement over last season.

2. The defensive line should be improved, most notably the pass rush.
    Chris Lyle has rush end to himself, and looks like a beast. Given health, Austin Alburts should finally be able to come through, and Nate frere kicked it up in the middle of the season. Plus, there are a number of other options inside. On the strongside, I think that Rashawn is strong and athletic enough to be solid against the run, and hopefully he'll have some speed advantage against slower right tackles. Plus, decent depth could go at least one deep across the front, more at tackle.

3. The offensive line has experience.
    They struggled last season, up and down due to injuries and inexperience, but that would apear to have allowed for some depth to develop--and all of the starters have starts under their belt. Unlike a year ago. Assuming they gelled late, and can recapture that elusive quality of cohesion, this could be a relative strangth.

4. Kickers
    Last season, Grant Mahoney was the best placekicker that we have had in ages. as a true freshman. That problem was a major contributing facter to a previous coach losing his job. One way or another, it'll only be better in '09.

5. Linebackers
    Four seniors, and newcomers across the board. You can't underestimate senior leadership. Plus, these guys can all run. I think that it will help these guys a great deal if less stress is placed on them than the massive failures of the unit immediately behind them created last season.

6. Mike Brandtner
    Another senior, and a dang good punter. For that matter, the only facet of special teams I think needs to be drastically improved is in punt returns, because aside from a simgle opponenent's return, the coverage units were pretty decent a year ago.

7. A plethora of skill position talent.
    Okay, so maybe we have nothing on OU or UT in a normal year dor one of those teams. But Austen Arnaud, Darious Darks, Alexander Robinson, Sed Johnson, Money Reynolds, Collin Franklin, Derrick Catlett, Bo Williams, Marquis Qamilton, etcetera, etcetera, et al, represent a whale of a lot of talent for Iowa State. When have we ever had the equivalent of two four star receivers before? Back to the days of Ike Harris and Luther Blue? Williams was another four star, and Arnaud only just missed. Oh yeah, and Franklin looks an awful like like he might play for pay. And that doesn't even mention all of the younger guys. So yes, I think that there is a bunchlot of talent--and a coach(es) who can take advantage of it. Assuming, of course, that #3 above comes through.

Seven. That seems like a good number to me...I'll leave it at that.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Pro
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 6

[QUOTE=anticyclonic;1213143

You know, if Rhodes wins 8 games in his first year there would be a good chance he would be Big XII coach of the year, that is if Stoops or Brown don't win the NC.[/QUOTE]

If Rhoads wins 8 games this year he IS the Big 12 coach of the year regardless if Stoops wins the NC and cures cancer. In fact, an 8 win ISU team prolly earns Rhoads national coach of the year honors. ISU has the longest road losing streak in the nation and didn't win a single conference game last year. If Rhoads gets 8 wins I say we rename the stadium.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 16

You make it seem like our freshman from last year won't get any better this year. The defense can't go anywhere but up. I believe there are plenty of reasons to believe we will be better this year. Whether it happens is a completely different story.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Man some folks have been drinking some kool aid. This thread gets wilder the longer it gets.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,207
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Man some folks have been drinking some kool aid. This thread gets wilder the longer it gets.

I agree! At least they are willing to put their pride out on a limb here....I have no idea how we will do. All I know is I will be at every game with my family rain or shine(Note: Rain..my family will not be in-tow...buddies will) However,, without drinking the cool aid, there is no way our game day preparation and game time decisions are any worse...I can't see it, not way. Based on games we should of one(Yes I know that sound suckeyeish), we will be better. PR is the real deal and it may not happen pretty this year, however, I think each year we will be better. Within 2-4 years, teams will not want to play us...us being ISU!

Go state!

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!