Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Recruit
    Points: 4,745, Level: 20
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    stormchaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    97
    Points
    4,745
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    Just rented a 3 disc sander and getting ready to start working on my wood floors. Any tips from some past experiences?



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 61,702, Level: 77
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,548
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    CycoCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    4,567
    Points
    61,702
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 75

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    did you get varying levels of grit paper?

    Do a quick once over with the lowest grit (usually like an 80), then go back over with like a 120 to smooth it out.


    John Walters is my hero

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 728,133, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,077
    Points
    728,133
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,083
    Given: 575

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    1. Don't use a 3 disc sander
    2. Do not skip more than one grit sequence, because sandpaper that is more than 2 grits above will not remove your previous marks.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 728,133, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,077
    Points
    728,133
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,083
    Given: 575

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    Serious question though......are you stripping down to raw wood, or just recoating? If you are just recoating, your 3 disc (I'm assuming it's a buffer) should work ok. I wouldn't start more aggressive than 100# though. If you're stripping down to raw wood, that's really not the machine that you want to use (walk behind 8" floor/belt sander).



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 63,400, Level: 78
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,450
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isubeatle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,309
    Points
    63,400
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 23

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    for my house i just stripped the old finish off with a stripper chemical, stained, and put a few coats of lacquer on top.



  6. #6
    Recruit
    Points: 4,745, Level: 20
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    stormchaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    97
    Points
    4,745
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    It is a buffer style sander, and has a recommended 3 different grit progression.
    The floors varying levels of old finish still on. My goal is to get them looking equal and either add a stain and sealer or just a sealer if it has some finish still in it. Am I on the right track?



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 36,387, Level: 58
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,436
    Points
    36,387
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    If I was to try and remove fridge roller dents from a wood floor would I have to sand them out too or is there a way to 'pull' them up?

    Only a small hijack ;)


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 728,133, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,077
    Points
    728,133
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,083
    Given: 575

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    Quote Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
    It is a buffer style sander, and has a recommended 3 different grit progression.
    The floors varying levels of old finish still on. My goal is to get them looking equal and either add a stain and sealer or just a sealer if it has some finish still in it. Am I on the right track?
    You're going to have to buff the crap out of it to get all of the finish off, which is especially necessary if you're going to stain it- stain won't absorb into the wood where there's still old finish. The other problem with staining is that, in buffing it aggressively, you're likely to leave circular sanding marks that the stain will accentuate.

    If you're going to use that buffer, I would recommend going with a natural color (seal only), assuming that your old floor is not stained. The most common problem in sanding with that machine is not getting the old finish off, and not noticing until you've already coated the floor. If the floor is a honey color now, and you are using an oil base finish/seal, this will be less noticeable, but it still has the potential to show up.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 728,133, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,077
    Points
    728,133
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,083
    Given: 575

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    If I was to try and remove fridge roller dents from a wood floor would I have to sand them out too or is there a way to 'pull' them up?

    Only a small hijack ;)
    Depends how deep they are. Sometimes it just scuffs the finish, sometimes it's into the wood. I've heard of people steaming them out with a damp rag and an iron, but I have not tried that personally, so I don't know if that would work or not.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 36,387, Level: 58
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,436
    Points
    36,387
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Depends how deep they are. Sometimes it just scuffs the finish, sometimes it's into the wood. I've heard of people steaming them out with a damp rag and an iron, but I have not tried that personally, so I don't know if that would work or not.
    They are definitely more than scuffs. Maybe 1/10" deep. I have heard the iron trick once too. May have to at least try that. Also have to figure out how to get the damn fridge out to clean behind without doing this again!


    Nothing to see here mods. Keep moving.

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 728,133, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,077
    Points
    728,133
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,083
    Given: 575

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    They are definitely more than scuffs. Maybe 1/10" deep. I have heard the iron trick once too. May have to at least try that. Also have to figure out how to get the damn fridge out to clean behind without doing this again!
    They make fridge kits that are essentially hard plastic strips for your fridge to sit on, and an extra set to put down when rolling it out. If you're interested in knowing where, send me a PM (trying to avoid shameless self promotion of my business).



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 31,634, Level: 54
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Apollo Beach, Florida
    Posts
    1,667
    Points
    31,634
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    Hire somebody to do it. It is a difficult job that is easy to make and error with. Do not use a sander that rotates. Use a belt sander - a rotating sander will put a circular grain on your floor. Good luck with it.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 71,595, Level: 83
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,555
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyfan964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 blocks from the Jack
    Posts
    4,516
    Points
    71,595
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 97

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    They are definitely more than scuffs. Maybe 1/10" deep. I have heard the iron trick once too. May have to at least try that. Also have to figure out how to get the damn fridge out to clean behind without doing this again!
    Here's a trick I use. Don't clean behind your fridge.


    Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

    -acgclone

  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,287, Level: 63
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 663
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,666
    Points
    42,287
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    Quote Originally Posted by swammi View Post
    Hire somebody to do it. It is a difficult job that is easy to make and error with. Do not use a sander that rotates. Use a belt sander - a rotating sander will put a circular grain on your floor. Good luck with it.
    I once installed a recycled hard wood floor and used a rotating sander to take it down to bare wood. The finished product turned out fine and I don't recall a problem with the grain. The biggest challenge was the corners that were not accessible to the machine that I used. Ended up needing a number of hours with a hand sander to complete the job.

    The biggest issue was trying to control the dust - it ended up all over the house.

    The next time around I went with a professional to sand and 3 coat a 250 sq ft room for $400. I do most of my own repair work, but this is one situation where hiring out is the only way to go. He brought in state-of-the-art equipment and did a beautiful job without any dust escaping the room.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 728,133, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    47,077
    Points
    728,133
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,083
    Given: 575

    Re: Refinishing Hard Wood Floors

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I once installed a recycled hard wood floor and used a rotating sander to take it down to bare wood. The finished product turned out fine and I don't recall a problem with the grain. The biggest challenge was the corners that were not accessible to the machine that I used. Ended up needing a number of hours with a hand sander to complete the job.

    The biggest issue was trying to control the dust - it ended up all over the house.

    The next time around I went with a professional to sand and 3 coat a 250 sq ft room for $400. I do most of my own repair work, but this is one situation where hiring out is the only way to go. He brought in state-of-the-art equipment and did a beautiful job without any dust escaping the room.
    True, it certainly can be done. I've seen some really beautiful floors done by customers. I've also seen some that were not. Reminds me of a guy I knew who put off the sanding on their newly bought house to go pheasant hunting. He finally went to do it the weekend before they moved in, and failed to get all of the finish off. His floor turned out with big blotches of orange all over the place, but they had to move in on it because they were out of time.

    The better dust control systems out there now are amazing. Our company has a gas powered, truck mounted vacuum that hooks to every machine, and takes virtually all of the dust outside. Our guys actually come home now looking as clean as when they leave in the morning. That can be worth the price right there.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM