Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Rhoads comment

  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 78,442, Level: 87
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,407
    Points
    78,442
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

    Rhoads comment

    I read somewhere that CPR stated this team is behind the 1999 team at this point in time. You can either be scared because of the 4-7 reocrd ISU had or you can look at the games and have some hope. (Ok I am drinking the kool-aid)

    Check out the season, Football - Schedule - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

    4 of the 7 losses were by a TD or less. Remember K-State? ISU was up 28-7 at the half and lost 35-28. There were a few games ISU had a shot in last season, maybe ISU gets over the hump this year like the 2000 team did. No I am not going to say a 9-3 season but I could make a case for 7-8 wins.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 86,509, Level: 91
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,092
    Points
    86,509
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    I read somewhere that CPR stated this team is behind the 1999 team at this point in time. You can either be scared because of the 4-7 reocrd ISU had or you can look at the games and have some hope. (Ok I am drinking the kool-aid)

    Check out the season, Football - Schedule - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

    4 of the 7 losses were by a TD or less. Remember K-State? ISU was up 28-7 at the half and lost 35-28. There were a few games ISU had a shot in last season, maybe ISU gets over the hump this year like the 2000 team did. No I am not going to say a 9-3 season but I could make a case for 7-8 wins.
    He did say that, but he also said we are ahead of where we were when McCarney came to town and that's a positive.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 484,095, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,026
    Points
    484,095
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 320
    Given: 97

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Do you expect him to say we're going to a bowl? To me it doesn't say that much one way or another.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 150,836, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    10,519
    Points
    150,836
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 243
    Given: 264

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Do you expect him to say we're going to a bowl? To me it doesn't say that much one way or another.
    ...but Chizik says we will win 9 games this year.



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 88,643, Level: 92
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 707
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Haverhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, KS
    Posts
    4,318
    Points
    88,643
    Level
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 18

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    ...but Chizik says we will win 9 games this year.
    huh?



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 86,509, Level: 91
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,092
    Points
    86,509
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    ...but Chizik says we will win 9 games this year.
    I hope he's right.



  7. #7
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    870
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    ...but Chizik says we will win 9 games this year.
    Are you sure he didn't say "ISU will win nine games this year because the new coach actually brought in good assistant coaches and won't choke coaching on game day."



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 19,058, Level: 42
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bfross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    865
    Points
    19,058
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Quote Originally Posted by hursts View Post
    Are you sure he didn't say "ISU will win nine games this year because the new coach actually brought in good assistant coaches and won't choke coaching on game day."
    No he said if he was still coaching here, ISU would win 9 games.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 92,757, Level: 94
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,575
    Points
    92,757
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 29

    Re: Rhoads comment

    The key is HOW FAR behind 1999? That team was actually decent, but needed to learn how to win. ISU has had success since then. I think that this year's team would pull a couple of those close games out.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 143,290, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CrossCyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    9,383
    Points
    143,290
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Offense should be much better.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 32,010, Level: 55
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,040
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,973
    Points
    32,010
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Coach's say all sorts of things before the season starts to motivate the team or temper expectations...sometimes they mean them, sometimes they don't.

    I remember Tim Floyd walking out of a practice before Dedric and Kelvin's Junior year started, and claiming that "this is the worst team I've ever coached"...that team went to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney and lost to Keith Van Horn, Andre Miller, Michael Doleac and Utah.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 187,363, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,291
    Points
    187,363
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 74

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    ...but Chizik says we will win 9 games this year.
    That was the smartest thing he has said. If the team does win 9 games he can say see I built that team. If the team doesnt win 9 games he can say it is because of poor coaching by the current staff and he would have won 9 games at ISU.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 86,509, Level: 91
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hudson, Iowa
    Posts
    8,092
    Points
    86,509
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone_12 View Post
    Coach's say all sorts of things before the season starts to motivate the team or temper expectations...sometimes they mean them, sometimes they don't.

    I remember Tim Floyd walking out of a practice before Dedric and Kelvin's Junior year started, and claiming that "this is the worst team I've ever coached"...that team went to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney and lost to Keith Van Horn, Andre Miller, Michael Doleac and Utah.
    Respectfully....Tim Floyd is a lot different man than Paul Rhoads.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 32,010, Level: 55
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,040
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,973
    Points
    32,010
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Respectfully....Tim Floyd is a lot different man than Paul Rhoads.
    Point taken.



  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 12,574, Level: 33
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    anticyclonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lake Rathbun
    Posts
    752
    Points
    12,574
    Level
    33
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Rhoads comment

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    The key is HOW FAR behind 1999? That team was actually decent, but needed to learn how to win. ISU has had success since then. I think that this year's team would pull a couple of those close games out.
    Either the 1999 or the 2005 team were the most frustrating teams under McCarney. In 1999, the only two games ISU had no chance in winning was @ Nebraska (who realistically should have played for the NC instead of their 2001 team-the 99' was significantly better) and Oklahoma, who was getting better as the season went and just was flat out better than ISU when they played here, I think ISU lost 31-7. The other 5 conference losses were close. They could have made a bowl in 99', should have won 10 games in 2005.

    I hope this is a much smarter coaching staff than the last two regimes, that will be the key. ISU has many more better skilled players than they did in the early 1990s and ISU would usually win 3-4 games back then, the schedule is not any tougher now so there is no reason they cant win 6 or 7 games unless bad coaching limits them (see 2008).


    Last edited by anticyclonic; 08-26-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM