Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Huskies

I'm looking into getting a puppy. I've loved the look of Huskies since I was a child. So I when I decidedthat I was going to get a dog the Husky breed was the one I was imediately drawn to. I found a reputable breeder and gave her a deposit for a puppy from the litter she's going to have next spring. I just want to make sure I am not making a mistake. I love dogs and would never want to get one if I thought I couldn't give it a wonderful environment to live. I'm single and gone for 8 hours during the day. I do have a fenced back yard but it's only about 4 feet tall. I've heard though that if a dog grows up around a fence it's entire life that it won't know the differenceand won't try to jump it, not sure it that's true or not. So my question to the board is do any of you have experience with the breed? Do you believe that breeds definitely have certain inate qualities that they always have? I've heard huskies are hyper. Or do you believe it has more to do with how it's raised.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 36

Re: Huskies

not bonding dogs, to anyonw

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

Got a huskie when I was ~16, lived on a farm. Huskies were bred to run and run and run and RUN. Even on a farm, we could not have her off a leash. Even after getting caught in a trap in a nearby creek (set without the land owner's permission), once her foot recovered, she ran again. She would not, with all the training in the world (!) stay home. She'd bolt - like a lighting strike - and there was nothing you could do to get her to run around. We took her to class after class, and each time were told that was a part of the breed.

This is a running breed. Make sure you have the time to dedicate to the exercise this dog needs.

"It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

Whoops - I meant we could get get her to TURN around...

"It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Yeah I've definitely done the research on the breed and realize how much energy they're suppose to have. And trust me I'd never get a dog if I didn't have the time to deal with it. It's not fair to the dog or myself. I guess that was my question whether or not people thought if the dog got raised differently if it could turn into a decent inside dog with some outdoor exposure or whether that wouldn't work and no matter how the dog was raised it would always want to run.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 34

I have heard that huskies have LOTS of energy. being away 8 hours/day should not be a big deal once potty training is done.

My recommendation is this, when you get your puppy have it be on a 3 day weekend. This will let your dog get accustomed to you and their new home. Get a kennel! Make sure you get your dog used to being in the kennel, this will be their 'safety spot.' You will probably want to come home for a few weeks during lunch to let your dog out of the kennel to go potty. Once the puppy gets a little older they will be able to hold 'it' until you get home.

Exercise is the key! A tired puppy is a happy puppy. My guess is a husky will need a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise/day. Jogging/walking/fetching with the dog is always good.

Treats and praise are also a key during potty training and any other training. Dogs love to be rewarded and like me they love food.
    There are many more items but you will pick up on this with your own dog. (FYI, their teeth fall out just like a child.)

All-Star
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 12

My brother had a Siberian and from that I learned 2 things. Huskies like to run and run and run. And huskies shed like crazy. Dog hair will be everywhere in your house.

"The bass, the rock,
    The mic, the treble,
    I like my coffee black,
    Just like my metal."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 959
    Given: 2,000

There is a jerk in my townhoome community who sticks his Husky in a kennel (much to small for the dog) all day in his garage. The dog is beautiful but it gets out about twice a day to go to the bathroom and spends most of the day in the garage. I have an 8 lb dog that we keep in a kennel that is the same size as the one the Husky is in.

My advice is that if you don't have a ton of time for a Husky, get a smaller, more relaxed breed that can handle being alone for the day and needs less exercise. Trust me, I know it's tough, I love those kinds of dogs as well. But you might end up with an unhappy dog and needing to give them up to someone else in the future.

Recruit
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

They can actually bond more than most people realize. I had one for many years and they will only bond with 1 person. But they are still loners.
    Great dogs and lot of fun. It can be frustrating that sometimes they will disappear for hours on end just running and snooping around. If you have neighbors, best to let them know so as not to cause the dog to get shot.

I am jealous of you. Great choice and good luck!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,226
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 136

I would push you to really think about getting a husky, they're very independent, need lots of exercise and don't like other dogs (animals).

John Walters is my hero

Prospect
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 325
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I would recommend getting a dog based on the dog's behavioral patterns and not solely on its looks. A dog that needs constant human attention and does not receive it will encourage the dog to entertain itself, often by chewing or digging.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4

Agree with the other posters, I had a husky my entire life up until I went to college way back when. They are outside dogs, you really can't pen them up inside, they have unreal energy, are deceptively strong, and can run as long as you let them. I think they are beautiful animals, very friendly from my experience, and my two dogs were unbeleiveable intelligent, just very excitable. The dogs I had literally shed most of the summer, but as they were outside dogs that was fine. I would bet a husky would find a way to get around, over or through a 4 foot fence. If you have any cats they won't be around long.

I actually live in the city now and the big reason I want to move to a more rural area later in life is so I can get another Siberian.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 232

I believe that Huskies actually bite quite a bit, and are not especially good around small children. I think they look great too, but I think you are probably making a mistake. And hair will be everywhere in your house, on your clothing, you name it.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose