Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 335,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,730
    Points
    335,044
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    The NFL just does it the right way

    CNN SI link

    That's a link to 11 of the biggest cheating controversies in sports history. Notice one thing...

    No NFL.

    Year after year with the MLB steroid issues, the NBA brawls and now the NASCAR scandal - the NFL manages to stay out of the cheating spotlight. The league is not void of fault and problems - however - the NFL seems to have far less than about any other professional sport.

    Hopefully Roger can continue the integrity the founders established and Paul has maintained.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 22,441, Level: 45
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    EggMcClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,374
    Points
    22,441
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    Except for the time that the entire Carolina Panther offensive line was receiving steroids a week before the Super Bowl or Lyle Alzado or Shawne Merriman. I never understood why they got a comparitively free pass on the steroids issue.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 335,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,730
    Points
    335,044
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    Quote Originally Posted by EggMcClone View Post
    Except for the time that the entire Carolina Panther offensive line was receiving steroids a week before the Super Bowl or Lyle Alzado or Shawne Merriman. I never understood why they got a comparitively free pass on the steroids issue.
    They don't get a free pass. However, they are recognized for actually dealing with it. Up until recently, the MLB just ignored 'roids. And even still, some of the worst offenders have avoided consequences from the league.

    The NFL has a strict policy that is uniformly enforced.



  4. #4
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 227,197, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,206
    Points
    227,197
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 425
    Given: 336

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    Great link, and good point about the NFL


    @RandomGeoFacts

  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 15,796, Level: 38
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kgreeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,233
    Points
    15,796
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    I don't think Floyd Landis should have made that list. I tend to believe him that he was clean. The French doping agence went after him because he is an american and they never got Lance.

    He was tested 7 times clean, Dirty on number 8, clean on nine and 10. All taken during the race. Does anybody think he only took something 1 day in the middle of the race? And the French doping agence will not let any outside sources test it. Why? If their test are true, a 3rd party would prove it.

    I fell bad for the guy.




    "I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 47,968, Level: 67
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    sodakjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    2,799
    Points
    47,968
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    CNN SI linkThat's a link to 11 of the biggest cheating controversies in sports history.
    I can't believe they let Gaylord Perry off with a side mention on #11...


    Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

    And thank you Stumpy for this:

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 92,208, Level: 94
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Posts
    6,187
    Points
    92,208
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    Quote Originally Posted by kgreeny View Post
    I don't think Floyd Landis should have made that list. I tend to believe him that he was clean. The French doping agence went after him because he is an american and they never got Lance.

    He was tested 7 times clean, Dirty on number 8, clean on nine and 10. All taken during the race. Does anybody think he only took something 1 day in the middle of the race? And the French doping agence will not let any outside sources test it. Why? If their test are true, a 3rd party would prove it.

    I fell bad for the guy.
    Did they actually still take the tour from him yet. Or is it still being investigated



  8. #8
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    229
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    I believe it is still being investigated. I know he just recently said he will not race in this years Tour.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 47,968, Level: 67
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    sodakjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    2,799
    Points
    47,968
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    Quote Originally Posted by kgreeny View Post
    I don't think Floyd Landis should have made that list. I tend to believe him that he was clean. The French doping agence went after him because he is an american and they never got Lance.

    He was tested 7 times clean, Dirty on number 8, clean on nine and 10. All taken during the race. Does anybody think he only took something 1 day in the middle of the race? And the French doping agence will not let any outside sources test it. Why? If their test are true, a 3rd party would prove it.

    I fell bad for the guy.
    The one test he failed was for the day when he regained the lead, winning Stage 17 and blowing away everyone. According to the WADA, the molecules in the test were shown to be synthetic. Sorry, but as much as the WADA hates Americans, Lance Armstrong in particular, WADA never came up with a positive test on him. But they came up with one on Floyd. Cycling is the worst sport when it comes to doping, and I honestly have a hard time dismissing allegations when it comes to this sport.


    Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

    And thank you Stumpy for this:

  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 15,796, Level: 38
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kgreeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,233
    Points
    15,796
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    WOW do the French hate us




    "I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 17,339, Level: 40
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,165
    Points
    17,339
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    I know the NFL has a steriods testing program, but I have to question it's effectiveness.
    Only a tiny fraction of one precent of NFL players flunk the steroids test, yet by looking at them most seem to be chemically enhanced. Certainly more so than the average baseball player.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 15,796, Level: 38
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    kgreeny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,233
    Points
    15,796
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    The one test he failed was for the day when he regained the lead, winning Stage 17 and blowing away everyone. According to the WADA, the molecules in the test were shown to be synthetic. Sorry, but as much as the WADA hates Americans, Lance Armstrong in particular, WADA never came up with a positive test on him. But they came up with one on Floyd. Cycling is the worst sport when it comes to doping, and I honestly have a hard time dismissing allegations when it comes to this sport.
    The way all synthetics work, they are not instant. Taking something one day and having it change only that performance is silly. Plus they had 3 samples on that day and only one of the three was positive.




    "I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 253,093, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,554
    Points
    253,093
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 0

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    The NFL has a strict policy that is uniformly enforced.
    I don't believe it's that strict. How many games did Merriman miss this year? Four? And he still made the pro bowl? boo-freakin'-hoo.

    And I actually think the NBA handles it the best and I fully believe they have the best management of all the professional sports. They never get caught with cheating stuff, as the brawls have nothing to do with cheating and stuff like that happens in baseball every year but it gets totally glossed over.




  14. #14
    Rookie Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    jparker22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    481
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    The NFL is very strict....IF you get caught with banned substances in your system. The normal testing protocal is that you come in as a rookie, get tested sometime during your first year, usually during pre-season camps, then you know your test date for life. July 23rd the first year, well then the closest working day to July 23rd next year is your test day. I am not saying that everybody cheats in the NFL but that sure does leave alot of time to get your drug on if you want to. Now if you are so dumb as to get caught at some point all bets are off, you are now subject to random tests at the leagues discretion.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 335,044, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,730
    Points
    335,044
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: The NFL just does it the right way

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    I don't believe it's that strict. How many games did Merriman miss this year? Four? And he still made the pro bowl? boo-freakin'-hoo.
    Two things there...

    1. The voters put him in the Pro Bowl.
    2. The NFL should adopt a rule that if you are suspended for x number of games or more, you are not allowed in the Pro Bowl for that season. I think 4 would be the perfect number for that rule.

    Quote Originally Posted by jparker22 View Post
    The NFL is very strict....IF you get caught with banned substances in your system. The normal testing protocal is that you come in as a rookie, get tested sometime during your first year, usually during pre-season camps, then you know your test date for life. July 23rd the first year, well then the closest working day to July 23rd next year is your test day. I am not saying that everybody cheats in the NFL but that sure does leave alot of time to get your drug on if you want to. Now if you are so dumb as to get caught at some point all bets are off, you are now subject to random tests at the leagues discretion.
    Exactly. I'm not up-to-speed on the exact rules yet this seems to be dead-on with what I've read. It's difficult to have more strict policy.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM