Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 12

I don't understand the reasoning!

I know this has been discussed before but I still do not understand the reasoning behind how a judge/prosecutor determines what kind of sentence they will go after for a particular person/crime. For example: Michael Vick gets 23 months in jail for being the leader of a dog fighting ring and Paxico Burress gets 2 years in jail for a weapons charge. Both of these people, in which I do not condone what they did, did not hurt a human being. Now Donte Stallworth gets only 30 days in jail for pleading guilty to vehicular manslaughter and is let go early due to good behavior.

What I want to know is how did two people get 23-24 months in jail when no human being was harmed but a person dies and the sentence is 30 days? Do these sentences really fit the crimes? I don't think so!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 34

Re: I don't understand the reasoning!

Plax was facing a mandatory 4 years. I'm guessing they split the difference for the plea bargain.

Stallworth was in a situation where if he goes to trial, he probably wins. The vehicular manslaughter laws in Florida say that you have to prove that the death was a direct result of the driver being drunk. Because the victim illegally walked out in front of the car coupled with the witnesses account, they had no case.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 28

Vick didn't go to jail for dogfighting. He went for running a gambling ring that crossed state lines making it a federal crime, requiring harsher penalties.

Plax's problem is the NYC gun laws are extremely strict, if he'd done it in Dallas for example he'd probably have gotten a fine at the most.

Vick and Plax were made examples of, because they're famous and high profile cases like theirs make people aware of the crimes.

Stallworth got lucky, considering his crime. The only excuse I could make for him would be his crime wasn't premeditated and it could happen to anyone. What if you had a few drinks at dinner, drove home and a guy walked out into the street from behind another car and you killed him? Are you a danger to society? Drinking and driving is irresponsible, but most people who drink on a regular basis can function at a high level and still fail a breath test.

That being said I don't think any of them should be allowed to play in the NFL anymore. I'd get fired from my job for committing a felony or drunk driving.

"You have great authority in your quotes, if you ascribe them to someone else."

-Some Guy

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

There have been cases where guys have sat in prison for 20+ years just to have DNA prove them innocent. There are hundreds of cases that point out the inequality of our current justice system.

If the Vick/Burress/Stallworth cases are your first eye opener into our justice system then frankly, you haven't been paying attention.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by superdorf View Post
    There have been cases where guys have sat in prison for 20+ years just to have DNA prove them innocent. There are hundreds of cases that point out the inequality of our current justice system.

If the Vick/Burress/Stallworth cases are your first eye opener into our justice system then frankly, you haven't been paying attention.

I have been paying attention but of course the other cases you are talking about do not get the press that the Vick, Burress, Stallworth cases got. So, unless you want me to go into every problem case in the entire judicial system, which is in the tens of thousands, then I will leave it to these distinct three that everybody on this site knows about.