Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

SEC Coach Ranking Tidbit

Previous Next 11. Gene Chizik, Auburn Tigers

Slide 3 of 14

While many Auburn fans will have a public outcry over Gene Chizik being named next to last, the fact is his record as a college head coach is simply terrible at this point.

Chizik accepted the head coaching position for the Iowa State Cyclones in 2006. In his two seasons there, Chizik's teams were often outmanned and outcoached, which led to a 519 overall record.

Chizik was attempting to rebuild the Iowa State program through recruiting, but his classes were ranked lower than the previous three under former Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney.

Chizik has been surrounded with a solid staff at Auburn and the level of talent available to recruit will be much improved.

Only time will tell if the issues at Iowa State were a result of where he coached or a result of the caliber of coach he is. As for now, his record is simply too bad to list him any higher than 11th.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 19

Re: SEC Coach Ranking Tidbit

Anyone with half a brain knows 5-19 is meaningless because it happened at ISU. No one can win at ISU, ever, no matter what. Va-gene-a gets a 2 year pass and will be whippin' SEC opponents for years to come. End of discussion.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cyeah View Post
    Previous Next 11. Gene Chizik, Auburn Tigers

Chizik was attempting to rebuild the Iowa State program through recruiting, but his classes were ranked lower than the previous three under former Iowa State head coach Dan McCarney.

Coach Rhoads and his staff definitely have their work cut out for them. I think they will succeed this year by capitalizing on their strength (offense) and rotating guys on defense to keep them fresh and in attack mode. I think they can and will gamble a lot on defense as the coaches trust the secondary more than they do the front seven.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 32

I hate bleacher report...it's just one notch above message boards. I've written a few ISU articles out there.

John Walters is my hero

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ribsnwhiskey View Post
    Anyone with half a brain knows 5-19 is meaningless because it happened at ISU. No one can win at ISU, ever, no matter what. Va-gene-a gets a 2 year pass and will be whippin' SEC opponents for years to come. End of discussion.
    Wait, what? who are you, and why are you posting here if this is all you have to say? The only thing I can think is that maybe you forgot the sarcasm pirate

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I agree with you..why - he hired a much better staff, has a boat load of recruiting money, he has Scott Fountain who will recruit full time there instead of coaching. That school is a premier football school and fanbase are rabid....if he can find a way to beat ol boy up the road i think his name is Nick Saban, Ol Geno will find an easy life at Auburn.....In order to play his form of defense you need the type of athletes you can recruit to Auburn and Texas.....they will overcome some mistakes....

I made mention of this in another recruiting thread....

Under both coaches, the one problem ISU had was that too many of the better recruits did not make it to school. They either transferred or went the Juco route....and then signed with someone else.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    I agree with you..why - he hired a much better staff, has a boat load of recruiting money, he has Scott Fountain who will recruit full time there instead of coaching. That school is a premier football school and fanbase are rabid....if he can find a way to beat ol boy up the road i think his name is Nick Saban, Ol Geno will find an easy life at Auburn.....In order to play his form of defense you need the type of athletes you can recruit to Auburn and Texas.....they will overcome some mistakes....
    I disagree. Auburn is NOT that great of a football school and the SEC is very, very stacked. I think Chiz will be around 2-3 years before he gets run. Even with the improved staff (a very improved staff over what he put together at ISU) he will be outcoached in almost every conference game.

Rookie
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I disagree. Auburn is NOT that great of a football school and the SEC is very, very stacked. I think Chiz will be around 2-3 years before he gets run. Even with the improved staff (a very improved staff over what he put together at ISU) he will be outcoached in almost every conference game.
    NOT a great football school? Auburn was the last SEC team to go undefeated.....

I think Chizik learned what not do to while here at ISU, which I think may predicate success at Auburn, that and his surrounding coaching staff rivals any coaching staff.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Everyone mentions such an improved coaching staff and always mentions Gus Malzahn first. Malzahn was coaching high school football about five years ago. I will take Tom Herman and Wally Burnham over Gus Malzahn and Ted Roof any day.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Billups06 View Post
    NOT a great football school? Auburn was the last SEC team to go undefeated.....

I think Chizik learned what not do to while here at ISU, which I think may predicate success at Auburn, that and his surrounding coaching staff rivals any coaching staff.
    Yeah, NOT a great football school. Yes they were undefeated one year.

However, they are weak sauce in teh SEC AND in their own state. I follow the SEC (LSU Fan) and that conference is the toughest to move ahead in. There are way better coaches in that conference that Chiz thinks and he is going to get his arse handed to him time and again.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

put the glue down......its not for sniffing

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

auburn is genes last h.c. job. want to make sure im quoted as saying this.