Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

71 Impala

So I just bought myself a big tank the other day. The sky is the limit for this car. It's got a 350 holly V-8 engine(60,000 miles on it). Brand new chrome tip exhaust. New radiator, carburetor, battery, brakes, and tires. The interior needs a little help but not bad. I got it for $1,000 even. A steal IMO. I'm already looking ahead to get the inside re-done with leather. Paint job not sure what color yet. Maybe black. And a nice set of wheels on it. So hopefully by next summer I'll have myself a real nice cruiser. Any advice what to do with this car?

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Re: 71 Impala

Do you want it show quality or just nice enough that you'll turn heads as you are cruisin' through town?

Have any rust spots fixed now. It's up to you to decide how much money you want to spend on it (frame-off restoration, or just new paint).

I would do the exterior over the winter and get everything back together by summer next year so you can enjoy it. Then, you can go at the interior as needed or whenever you can get to it.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 15

Here is a money saving tip : paint the car black. Then find an old set of rusty steel wheels. Have them sandblasted and powder coated black. I have seen this on a couple cars, and it looks freakin sweet.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 705
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    Do you want it show quality or just nice enough that you'll turn heads as you are cruisin' through town?

Have any rust spots fixed now. It's up to you to decide how much money you want to spend on it (frame-off restoration, or just new paint).

I would do the exterior over the winter and get everything back together by summer next year so you can enjoy it. Then, you can go at the interior as needed or whenever you can get to it.
    Whats the easiest way to get rid of the rust spots? Because I have 2 spots where there is some rusting. Well I'd like to turn heads but at the same time make sure its got quality.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    Here is a money saving tip : paint the car black. Then find an old set of rusty steel wheels. Have them sandblasted and powder coated black. I have seen this on a couple cars, and it looks freakin sweet.
    Yes there are many things I could do with this car. My family is making fun of it right now but I told them to keep on laughing because next summer they will want rides in it. The wheels is something I'm going to ponder on.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CB21 View Post
    Whats the easiest way to get rid of the rust spots? Because I have 2 spots where there is some rusting. Well I'd like to turn heads but at the same time make sure its got quality.
    It depends on how bad the rust spots are and where they are located. A lot of the time for classic cars you can buy replacement panels or just patches. If you buy a patch, the bad part of the panel will have to be cut out and the new patch welded back in. I would take it to a body shop somewhere and have them take a look at it. (Or post some pics here!) Look around and find a shop that does good work and has a good reputation. Let a pro do this job.

If you haven't already, look around on the internet for classic or muscle car forums (there is probably one specifically for Impalas). There are also many aftermarket vendors that sell replacement parts and other jazzy bling. A lot of them have internet catalogs or they can send one to you in the mail. You should get a bunch of ideas by doing this.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It depends on how bad the rust spots are and where they are located. A lot of the time for classic cars you can buy replacement panels or just patches. If you buy a patch, the bad part of the panel will have to be cut out and the new patch welded back in. I would take it to a body shop somewhere and have them take a look at it. (Or post some pics here!) Look around and find a shop that does good work and has a good reputation. Let a pro do this job.

If you haven't already, look around on the internet for classic or muscle car forums (there is probably one specifically for Impalas). There are also many aftermarket vendors that sell replacement parts and other jazzy bling. A lot of them have internet catalogs or they can send one to you in the mail. You should get a bunch of ideas by doing this.

I will check it out. The rust is right behind both the front tires. I've got some reliable people around here that can do some things for me for reasonable prices. So you think do the interior last?

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good deal, great looking car. 71', 72' 73' full size chevys are my favorite. I am not much of a fan prior to that or after. Per the body, go talk to so body shop guys to get tips, a lot of them do not want to mess with older cars anymore -too thick of steel and a lot of work compared to the plastic of today, but they do love these cars and will give you advice. Also, join the Chevy club. Per the family members making fun of it, ask them what their car payments are per month and then have them ask you what your payment is for that car.

I am personally into Pontiacs and Mopars. I have a 69' Catalina with Bat and bird crap all over it in a barn. The Plymouth Sport Furys of 69' 70' and 71' are awesome.

Your interior should last as long as you take car of it, but the internet is a great resource for parts if needed, you shouldn't have a lot of problems with a mass produced car such as that.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by anticyclonic; 08-23-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I will check it out. The rust is right behind both the front tires. I've got some reliable people around here that can do some things for me for reasonable prices. So you think do the interior last?
    When you are cruisin' around next summer in your new flashy paint-job with good wheels and tires, no one will be looking at your interior when you are on the road.

Now, having said that, it depends on how bad it is and if you can stand it. You wouldn't have to do everything at once either. Replace or fix things when/if you can.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by anticyclonic View Post
    Good deal, great looking car. 71', 72' 73' full size chevys are my favorite. I am not much of a fan prior to that or after. Per the body, go talk to so body shop guys to get tips, a lot of them do not want to mess with older cars anymore -too thick of steel and a lot of work compared to the plastic of today, but they do love these cars and will give you advice. Also, join the Chevy club. Per the family members making fun of it, ask them what their car payments are per month and then have them ask you what your payment is for that car.

I am personally into Pontiacs and Mopars. I have a 69' Catalina with Bat and bird crap all over it in a barn. The Plymouth Sport Furys of 69' 70' and 71' are awesome.

Your interior should last as long as you take car of it, but the internet is a great resource for parts if needed, you shouldn't have a lot of problems with a mass produced car such as that.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
    The insurance part is very true. Real cheap. This is my first time ever owning anything near this. I could see past what it looks like now and know it has potential.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

When you are cruisin' around next summer in your new flashy paint-job with good wheels and tires, no one will be looking at your interior when you are on the road.

Now, having said that, it depends on how bad it is and if you can stand it. You wouldn't have to do everything at once either. Replace or fix things when/if you can.

Thats true. The interior isn't that bad at all. Just has that nice old car smell to it

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thats true. The interior isn't that bad at all. Just has that nice old car smell to it
    My roommate bought a '72 Chevelle a few months ago. My friend from back home has been restoring a '70 Chevelle since high school. Both have that nice old car smell to it (although, the '72 smells a little more strongly than the '70 since the '70 has new upholstery.. ). Both are really fun cars.

I have a '71 Chevy pick-up that I drove in high school. It was restored to a point around 10 years ago, but is starting to fall apart again. Now it sits at home waiting for me to graduate college and make money before I give it some much needed TLC.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

My roommate bought a '72 Chevelle a few months ago. My friend from back home has been restoring a '70 Chevelle since high school. Both have that nice old car smell to it (although, the '72 smells a little more strongly than the '70 since the '70 has new upholstery.. ). Both are really fun cars.

I have a '71 Chevy pick-up that I drove in high school. It was restored to a point around 10 years ago, but is starting to fall apart again. Now it sits at home waiting for me to graduate college and make money before I give it some much needed TLC.
    Well make sure to fix it up at some point. Just cant wait until it's done.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

What is the easiest or best way to get rid of some rust off my car?

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 974
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

Where are the pictures?????

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)