Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 19

Big Creek

Went to the lake today....bad idea. The entire lake is covered in blue green algae. May be the worst Ive ever seen it. Any know much about it or if the DNR is ever gonna find a solution to it. Disappointing going to the lake and being affraid to get in the water.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 4

Re: Big Creek

Saylorville last week before the rain had that same problem in the marina. If it wouldn't have stunk so bad I would have just imagined that I was in the Caribbean.

Walk On
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I have done the Big Creek Tri several times and always get a sinus issue afterwards. This year I got it after a practice swim for 4-5 days, 1 week before the Tri, but had less of an issue after the actual event (August 2nd)....swimming just under a mile in that lake. I don't think it will be worth it to do next year. In Big Creek, I used to have sinus symptoms for just one day.
    I haven't had an issue w/ some of the other smaller lakes, Copper Creek or Iowa Games - Don Williams lake.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

The algae is there in response to a flood of nutrients (nitrogen and phosphorus) that wash in. Where from? Everywhere. Lawn fertilizers, geese poop, ag fertilizers, etc. And, Iowa has naturally rich soils. Phosphorus mainly moves when attached to soil particles,so stopping erosion is key here. But, nitrogen can move on its own, so sediment movement is not as important to its transport. Everyone needs to remember they live in a watershed - meaning, what they put on their land/yard/storm sewer is eventually going to reach a waterbody.

Installation of filter strips to allow the water to slow down and drop the sediment load is one way slow he movement of sediment and nutrients to waterways, but there isn't one silver bullet that will fix it. Iowa is a highly modified state, in terms of out natural environment, with something like >96% of the land under private ownership and control. So, just because someone comes up with modifications/ideas on how to clear up our waterbodies, that doesn't mean it will be adopted. Trying to balance the needs and use of all the land in Iowa with our water quality issues is a headache, that I predict, will not be solved in my lifetime.

"It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 905
    Given: 556

Quote Originally Posted by bugs4cy View Post
    The algae is there in response to a flood of nutrients (nitrogen and phosphorus) that wash in. Where from? Everywhere. Lawn fertilizers, geese poop, ag fertilizers, etc. And, Iowa has naturally rich soils. Phosphorus mainly moves when attached to soil particles,so stopping erosion is key here. But, nitrogen can move on its own, so sediment movement is not as important to its transport. Everyone needs to remember they live in a watershed - meaning, what they put on their land/yard/storm sewer is eventually going to reach a waterbody.

Installation of filter strips to allow the water to slow down and drop the sediment load is one way slow he movement of sediment and nutrients to waterways, but there isn't one silver bullet that will fix it. Iowa is a highly modified state, in terms of out natural environment, with something like >96% of the land under private ownership and control. So, just because someone comes up with modifications/ideas on how to clear up our waterbodies, that doesn't mean it will be adopted. Trying to balance the needs and use of all the land in Iowa with our water quality issues is a headache, that I predict, will not be solved in my lifetime.
    Exactly.

The DNR can't find a solution for it because the solution would involve a lot of work and cooperationg from many landowners throughout the watershed. A ton of chemicals (from Ag and other sources) and goose crap washes into the lake. The DNR may be able to do a project here or there in the watershed to help the water quality but that requires both money to pay for the project and land to construct improvements in the watershed (sediment basins, etc).