Re: Hlas' AP Ballot

Seems fair, a lot of big 10 love though

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I don't think there's any doubt about who the top 4 are, regardless of order.

I don't think he has too much Big Ten love, but he has Penn State and Iowa way too high. Penn State - no quality wins last year and he has them just one spot below USC? Based on the Rose Bowl the gap between USC and Penn State is a lot bigger than one spot. For Iowa, I gather he is claiming Minnesota and South Carolina as quality wins? LOL. Iowa should accomplish something like beating Northwestern before being ranked. But Hlas has to overrate them to pander to his readers. And Illinois should not be on the list at all.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    Penn State - no quality wins last year
    C'mon - it's fine to hate on the Big Ten, but PSU beating Ohio State at Columbus is kind of a "quality win."

Legend
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 174

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    C'mon - it's fine to hate on the Big Ten, but PSU beating Ohio State at Columbus is kind of a "quality win."
    It depends if he is basing it on who he thinks are the most talented teams or who where he thinks they will finish. PSU should finish top 5-10 based the their schedule.
    Oregon State was a pretty good OOC win last year for PSU. I do not think they were a top team last year, but 10-15.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 08-22-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58

Two things...

First he says....

"5. Penn State (tie for 9) If the Nittany Lions get past Akron, Syracuse and Temple to start the season, look out."

Yeah... because we all know that Akron, Syracuse, and Temple is the hardest part of their schedule, right?

Then he says...

"16. Iowa (22) I had Iowa 16th in the final poll of last season. It was 20th. That was too low. Ask Minnesota and South Carolina if you donít believe me.)"

Yeah.. because we all know how powerful Minnesota and South Carolina are! Not. Like someone else said... beat Northwestern and we'll talk.

The Big 10 was extremely weak last year, and Iowa had one good win against a very overrated Penn State team. Good grief.

Thumbs Up

Yes it is, in a way. But Ohio State played 2 top echelon teams last year -- USC and Texas -- and lost to both of them. So beating Ohio State isn't enough for me to see Penn State as the #5 team in the country. Especially when USC is #4. The gap between USC and Penn State is enormous, as we saw in the Rose Bowl.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

Legend
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 174

Yes it is, in a way. But Ohio State played 2 top echelon teams last year -- USC and Texas -- and lost to both of them. So beating Ohio State isn't enough for me to see Penn State as the #5 team in the country. Especially when USC is #4. The gap between USC and Penn State is enormous, as we saw in the Rose Bowl.
    Beating Top 20 team (at least) at one of the toughest home venues in CFB is a quality win, imo. Is it a national championship defining type win? No.

Thumbs Up

I think Penn State is definitely a top 20 team. Top 10 team -- Maybe but I have my doubts. Top 5 team? No way.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

Especially when USC is #4. The gap between USC and Penn State is enormous, as we saw in the Rose Bowl.
    That was last year - USC suffered a big loss in the off-season, and I don't mean Sanchez or their linebackers. It was OC Sarkisian going to Washington.
    Sure, Carroll has lost assistants before, and the train keeps on rolling, but this might be different. Sarkisian had been given the lion's share of responsibility and credit for masterminding and energizing the USC offense, even when Kiffin was there.
    We'll find out in Columbus if he has been replaced.

Last edited by Tornado man; 08-22-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Thumbs Up

That was last year - USC suffered a big loss in the off-season, and I don't mean Sanchez or their linebackers. It was OC Sarkisian going to Washington.
    USC could lost a lot and still be better than Penn State. The two teams weren't competitive. Neither was Ohio State vs. USC. Until either of those Big Ten teams shows otherwise, they should be ranked lower than USC -- a lot lower than one spot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Ok, what happened to the old Monty? I am agreeing with him way too much these days. That's twice in the last month at least. I may need something to stop the pain.

NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 587
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ohio State had Texas beat until the last minute and there was a 4th down play and a missed pick.

Ohio State is good.

The Big Ten plays at USC every year in a bowl game.

Nobody goes accross the country and beats usc

except the one great Texas team

If you have a problem - if no one else can help - and if you can find
    them - maybe you can hire: The A-Team.