What KXNO slot does a better job when discussing ISU athletics?

View Poll Results: Who does a better job when reporting/discussing ISU athletics?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cotlar & Company

31 32.29%
  • Jon Miller

40 41.67%
  • Marty & Miller

25 26.04%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 356

What KXNO slot does a better job when discussing ISU athletics?

An interesting poll and discussion.

I'm not asking you to vote on frequency of ISU discussions. I'm asking you to vote on the quality of discussion and how ISU is portrayed when discussed by any of the KXNO time slots.

Who does a better job?

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: What KXNO slot does a better job when discussing ISU athletics?

God strike me dead, but I guess I'd have to say M&M.

Can you add a "none of the above"

As much as they'll drive you nutz, and as much as I feverously disagree with them, they probably have the best discussions.

I haven't been able to listen to Cotlar much lately, but he has had more and better interviews (John Walters, Eric Heft, usually the head or asst coach from fb or bb during the season). I don't think they don't discuss much beyond the interview, or discuss it very well.

Miller does alright, but usually his discussions seem to have an "how it affects Iowa" angle - ala the ticket issue.

To be fair, I don't get to listen to Cotlar or Miller near as much as I get to listen to M&M. So I'm sure that skews my opinion.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 02-14-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 398
    Given: 457

Cotler takes a break from over glorifying the Missouri Valley conference every once in a while to discuss ISU.

M@M do a good job when it's a relavent subject but they won't break down the recruiting class like Deace used to.

I have to say John Miller tries to cover ISU. In all honest it would be like one of us trying to break down something Iowa Hawkeye's do. We would try but it would probably not come off as well since we hate the hawks. I give him props for trying though.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 356

I think Jon Miller gives us better quality than the other two. The ISU-Iowa single game ticket discussions hasn't helped how ISU fans perceive him - yet I still think he's better. It would be a tougher call for me though if Marty and Miller was just Ken Miller. I really enjoy Ken but Marty - notsomuch. I haven't tuned them in and actually listened for a while now.

Looks up info before he spouts off, tries to look at the facts, conducts good interviews, etc.

Yeah, he's a Hawk and some days I wanna smack him with his microphone - but most of the time he's enjoyable to listen to and informative.

If ISU fans had a clone of Jon Miller but instead on the ISU side, I'm guessing almost all of us would be thrilled.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 02-14-2007 at 10:30 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 20

I don't have as much to go on because the only way I can listen is via streaming, and even then only stream when I know an ISU interview is on. That said, I think Jon does the best at asking questions with substance. He doesn't take shots once the interview is over and the 'subject' is off the air. Seems like those M & M clowns do that a lot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

It seems like both the Cotlar and Marty & Miller shows like to talk Missouri Valley basketball. That is fine and dandy, except I personally don't care!

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I'm with you Daddy, it's M&M. They have more depth to their discussions and more insight as well. Frankly, I don't mind them upsetting ISU fans once in awhile either.

Jon's problem is well-trod turf around here: he's a hawk, he likes hawktalk, he knows hawks inside and out, and his callers run about 95 to 5% hawkeye to clone. He tries, however, and I appreciate his emphasizing wrestling.

I don't listen to Larry much anymore. He's not a solid interviewer. Pretty bland interviews, imo.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 142

Up until the whole ISU-EIU ticket sales issue came up, I would have said Jon Miller since he at least appears objective when talking ISU and altered his Homerism at least on the show.

Then ISU got smart and decides to not sell individual tickets to the ISU-EIU game and Jon Miller absolutely destroys all the credibility I was giving him before. Now he has a huge hill to climb again. I would have picked Jon prior to this because his main topics of discussion are ISU and EIU where M&M talk about everything from Hockey to Nascaar(tries anyway) to baseball. Kinda like the supermall of sports talk radio. Cotlar & Co is a smaller version of this so I kind of lump them together.

I will have to ponder this and vote at a later time...

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 668
    Given: 388

I think it's Cotlar for the sole reason that he never really has an opinion about Iowa State (or anything for that matter). He is the most unbiased. He regularly has coaches, Walters, Paul Clark, etc on and when he talks to them, it's good back and forth discussion. M&M is pretty good too but the quality of discussion is not so good as Marty doesn't watch the games so he can't talk about them in an educated manner.

Jon Miller tries it but it just doesn't work for me.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

I picked Cotlar because I don't get a chance to hear Jon at work and M&M are way more pro-Hawkeye than anything. I don't really "expect" any of them to make it an effort every day to devote X ammount of time to ISU especially since KXNO is no longer the ISU flagship station. I would like to hear more but I don't think we are "entitled" to have them talk more about ISU than anything else.

Rookie
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

While I thought he beat the UI football ticket thing long after it had stopped breathing, I do think Miller is the best of a dismal lot. He has a passion for sports that the others lack. Sure he's a hawk homer, but he doesn't try to hide it and is even able to work around it when talking ISU (the ticket thing being the exception). He generally knows what he's talking about. Even though he's a hawk fan and big 11 mouthpiece, he seems to have a slightly better sense of reality than most of them demonstrate.

I bleed Cardinal & Gold

Speechless
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,125
    Given: 1,017

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    I think it's Cotlar for the sole reason that he never really has an opinion about Iowa State (or anything for that matter). He is the most unbiased. He regularly has coaches, Walters, Paul Clark, etc on and when he talks to them, it's good back and forth discussion. M&M is pretty good too but the quality of discussion is not so good as Marty doesn't watch the games so he can't talk about them in an educated manner.

Jon Miller tries it but it just doesn't work for me.
    You're right now that I think about it. Cotlar rarely has an opinion about anything, unless he goes off on a rant about something completely off the wall. I like the unbiased interviews on Cotlar, but Jon Miller does a better job than either of the other shows in breaking things down a little further.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 644

Sorry boys but I can't bring myself to vote for a Squawkeye. Too many drubbings in football at JTS for me ever to vote for a squawk.

Cotlar used to do all right but since he became of shill for Drake basketball he goes days upon days without mentioning ISU.

So it will have to be Marty and Miller. Although I can't stand Marty Tyrell. I wish KXNO would just drop Marty and I'll do the show with Ken Miller!

Rookie
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

That poll is not even fair. You lost me on that poll with the word quality. That and KXNO in the same sentence makes me laugh out loud!

Cotlar is all about medocrity. He is out. JonDMiller mentions Iowa State the most and pays us the most lip service. Then turns around and trashes everything Iowa State at the next turn. Can't vote for that idiot. M&M are just idiots.

Sigh. Can I vote for PTI? Best thing I have ever done is get a car stereo that allows me to plug in an iPod. Then I can download a Podcast of PTI and listen to it and Mike&Mike highlights on the drive to and from work. I stopped listening to KXNO last October...

Walk On
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 589
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think Jon Miller does the best job. Even though he is a Hawkeye guy, he is unbiased and makes the best points. I like Larry Cottlar a lot, but lately his shows have all been about UNI and Drake, along with some other junk thrown in there. Marty and Miller get hard to listen to sometimes. They are so negetive all the time and act like jerks to too many of their callers. I don't like that one of them is out on the east coast. It seems like they don't have much of a connection to Iowa sports in general, except for now, when all they talk about is stuff at Wells Fargo Arena.