Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 0

Internet Car Purchase

I just bought a car using the internet and a few phone calls. I take delivery tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous that something will fall through. They even gave me a price for my trade without seeing it. I've never driven the car I bought but I've driven the same model elsewhere. It is new so I don't expect any surprises.

Anyone else done this before? Did you negotiate the trade as well? Did the dealership stand by what they quoted for the trade?

I hope this all works out.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 10

Re: Internet Car Purchase

I would think it depends on the internet sight you bought the car on. I bought a car on eBay in 2005 and b/c it was eBay, they guarantee that the car seller disclose all items on the car and if you go to pick it up and things are different than what was disclosed, you can pull out of the deal without problem. Now, other than that, I don't know.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

Sold a Cherokee via eBay last year, but not purchased a vehicle online.

The whole thing was a little surreal. Purchaser barely spoke English. Missed two appointments to pick up the Jeep. He was from Chicago. His name was Jesus ... nope, not HayZeus, but he pronounced it GeeSus. Told him he had to pay in cash but he showed up with a cashier's check. When he did show up to pay and drive it away, he said he had never been this far west, it was like a cowboy movie out here on the range, and he was wondering if he'd see any buffalo along the road. He told us the Jeep would be in Mexico before Christmas...

When I left a comment about the purchaser basically disregarding everyting we agreed to on eBay, I was soundly heckled by other people. I don't think I've bough anything from eBay since.

It was one of those experiences where when it was finally all over, you just thought to yourself, "Wow, did all that just happen or am I dreaming?"

"It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 325

I've done this 3 times and 2 times I had a trade. Never had any issues. All 3 were new cars. I always negotiate the trade before I agree to go and see the car. I honestly tell them the condition and insist on an OTD price.

What are you buying and where?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 45

My sister did that a couple of years ago and ended up finding out the car was a Katrina flood victim.

edit---she bought off ebay, not a dealer website.

Last edited by dosry5; 08-21-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post

Dosry, You know what? I think I'll agree with you :)

Quote Originally Posted by bos
    You sir are a legend.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Is it new?

Curious to hear how it goes for you. I was thinking of doing the same thing down the road when we replace my wife's car. UPromise has a car purchase site and the model we were looking at was offered about $1500 less than the local dealer would do.

It would be new - so I'm not that worried about the quality of the car. Not sure what we would do about a trade. I'd prefer to sell it myself, but not sure it's worth the hassle.

As for their standing by it. I think, for the most part, dealers will look at the book value and not deviate much. When we bought my wife's last car on trade - the salesman barely looked at it. In fact, I don't think he did until after the deal was done and he went out to get the VIN. Just gave him the make/model/yr and he pulled it up.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 13

I bought a C36 AMG off of Ebay about a year ago. I flew out to California and drove it home. The seller had good feedback, but the whole process was still a bit nerve racking. But everything worked out like it was supposed to, and it's a great car.

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 595
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I had this great idea a few weeks back to start a national car inspection service based off of internet car purchases...then I found out one already exists...I still think my concept is better, but there are only so many hours in the day. I was gonna call it 'TrustMyMonkey.com'

'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

Legend
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 325

Here is my normal procedure.

#1 Go and drive all the cars that I'm interested in but promise myself that I won't buy anything.

#2 Do a ton of research on the model that I like. Is there known problems with the car, what are the best deals people are getting, etc

#3 Go to all the dealer web sites and see if they have the make, model, package, color, etc that I want.

#4 Come up with an educated guess of the best price for that particular model. Come up with what I think trade in value should be on my trade in.

#5 Email the furthest dealership and saying something like this.

" I wanted to check with your dealership before I made a purchase from my local dealer. My local dealer has a 2010 **** ****(include package and color here) with an MSRP of 21,999 and I'm trading in a 2005 Honda Accord. He is offering me an OTD price of $8,450 after trade in before TTL. I noticed that you had the same model. Can you beat the price? I usually include pictures and condition of the trade in.

#6 I usually get back a response that they can beat that price by a few hundred.

#7 I then send that salesman's response to another dealership to see if they can beat the price. I wipe out my previous message and just include the salesman's response. This lets the salespeople know that you are serious and are actually working with another dealership.

I usually do this until someone says they can't beat the deal and then buy it from that dealership. You'd be surprised how much difference there is between some dealerships. I had a dealer in KC that offered me a $2,000 better deal on a $20,000 car than what the local Honda dealer was offering me. Usually it's just a few hundred and then it mostly comes down to who treated me better.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,026
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 63

Had a roommate buy a BMW (birthday present to himself) on eBay. The car was in Houston (we lived in Ames at the time). He hired a company for something like $100 to do a scouting report on it, they came back with a 50 page report that was very thorough about the condition of the car. It mentioned a couple scratches on the paint that are totally unnoticeable unless you wax it good and look really close. He flew down to get it, drove it back. I believe it was from a dealership. He seemed to think the whole thing went pretty well, but would highly recommend getting a 3rd party assessment of the vehicle.

Legend
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 987

If you've got the cash to buy a car straight up than buying directly from the factory is the best way to go. You never give the salesman a chance to get their grubby hands on it.

Here are some great resources:

Real, Actual New Car Prices Paid | Includes Rebates and Incentives | Real Car Tips

Fighting Chance New Car Buying Guide - Buy or lease a new car with our car buying guide. Get new car invoice prices for most all vehicles. Buying or leasing a car? Don't do it without this car buying and leasing guide.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post

#1 Go and drive all the cars that I'm interested in but promise myself that I won't buy anything.

#2 Do a ton of research on the model that I like. Is there known problems with the car, what are the best deals people are getting, etc

#3 Go to all the dealer web sites and see if they have the make, model, package, color, etc that I want.

#4 Come up with an educated guess of the best price for that particular model. Come up with what I think trade in value should be on my trade in.

" I wanted to check with your dealership before I made a purchase from my local dealer. My local dealer has a 2010 **** ****(include package and color here) with an MSRP of 21,999 and I'm trading in a 2005 Honda Accord. He is offering me an OTD price of $8,450 after trade in before TTL. I noticed that you had the same model. Can you beat the price? I usually include pictures and condition of the trade in.

#6 I usually get back a response that they can beat that price by a few hundred.

#7 I then send that salesman's response to another dealership to see if they can beat the price. I wipe out my previous message and just include the salesman's response. This lets the salespeople know that you are serious and are actually working with another dealership.

I usually do this until someone says they can't beat the deal and then buy it from that dealership. You'd be surprised how much difference there is between some dealerships. I had a dealer in KC that offered me a $2,000 better deal on a $20,000 car than what the local Honda dealer was offering me. Usually it's just a few hundred and then it mostly comes down to who treated me better.
    That's some good info in there.

One thing I like to do in my research is use Edmunds.com. I've found them to be about the best for info. Alot of reviews, consumer ratings from people who already have that model. And their price building has been dead on from what I've looked at. Will give you retail price for options and what invoice is for those as well. Then will give you a "what other's are paying" to give a clue as to what you may expect for a purchase cost. Will also have alerts as to factory programs or special financing.

Rookie
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 640
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by bugs4cy View Post
    Told him he had to pay in cash but he showed up with a cashier's check.
    The cashier's check would have ended the deal for me. It looks real until a couple of weeks later your bank calls and you find out it was fake. Even the bank teller thought it was real.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,166
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Almost the same process I used except I didn't disclose the other bids to the dealers. I just asked for quotes and the best quote, I took and then negotiated further over the phone. I set the price I wanted after trade and before TTL just like you said. I told him that I don't care how you get there between the trade and the car price. He got there.

I think I got a good deal. I'm also getting in on 0% financing since it is a 2009 model year.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,166
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've done this 3 times and 2 times I had a trade. Never had any issues. All 3 were new cars. I always negotiate the trade before I agree to go and see the car. I honestly tell them the condition and insist on an OTD price.

What are you buying and where?
    I am buying a 2009 WRX Premium from McLaughin Motors in Moline, IL. I bought the sedan version in silver with the SPT Catback Exhaust system. It is a big improvement on ride, quality, comfort, and performance over my 2004.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.