Just back from Hilton.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Just back from Hilton.

Fun game to be at. A few observations of my own.

1) Nice to see the team not fold down the stretch. They had plenty of opportunity - and I really thought they were going to, but they pulled it out.

2) The refs absolutely S-U-C-K-E-D! Especially down the stretch. Can anybody tell me how that charge underneath wasn't called at about the 5:00 mark? Sorry, I didn't pay attention to OU names, but it was the inside player. Just leveled Jiri, I think. Next time down the court, they DID call the foul on another OU player for the forearm push off, but the same ref (who had the angle and should've made the call) blew it once again and the far side ref blew the whistle. Compound that with Jiri getting gang-ra#*# under the basket with 1:00 to go, only to be called out of bounds. Frankly it's amazing Jiri did as well as he did since #30 never let go of his arm once the whole game. And how about the 4 minute timeout so the OU player can fix his nosebleed?

3) I'll get rung up for this - but why do the students have so many seats? For one game a year, maybe two if Iowa is on the schedule? Were there even 500 there tonight? Overall attendance was rather disappointing. But when you have enrollment of 25K and a couple thousand live across the street, and you only pull in 500 to (maybe) 1000??? Kudos to those who did cross Lincoln Way and brave the cold.

4) Came by some good tickets and was fortunate enough to sit behind Gary Thompson. Really fun watching him watch a game. I have to say, if Jiri continues those loft passes from down low, out to the top of the key over a defender, I think Gary will be making some phone calls ....

5) Shot clock - fix the damn thing. I've heard about this for weeks now. Even JP made mention of it on the coaches show TWO weeks ago. Annoying and potentially could've killed momentum a number of times. ISU is an engineering school for Jimminy's sake. Get a grad student on the job!

Good win Clones. Looking forward to CU next Wednesday!

Last edited by DaddyMac; 02-14-2007 at 12:01 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 746
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 162

Re: Just back from Hilton.

Are you telling me all non-student season ticket holders were at the game? I am a student and haven't missed a home game this year, including the games over the Break. I know of several students that have tests tomorrow and chose to study instead of go to the game. I also know that for some that live on campus, Hilton is just across the street, but, students also live on the other side of campus or off campus. It takes about 20 minutes to walk across campus and could take even longer for off-campus students depending on where they live. When it's 5 degrees out and windy, a 20 minute walk through snow drifts is enough to make SOME students stay indoors especially when many are just bandwagon fands and expected a loss tonight.

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,364
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Fun game to be at. A few observations of my own.
    3) I'll get rung up for this - but why do the students have so many seats? For one game a year, maybe two if Iowa is on the schedule? Were there even 500 there tonight? Overall attendance was rather disappointing. But when you have enrollment of 25K and a couple thousand live across the street, and you only pull in 500 to (maybe) 1000??? Kudos to those who did cross Lincoln Way and brave the cold.

5) Shot clock - fix the damn thing. I've heard about this for weeks now. Even JP made mention of it on the coaches show TWO weeks ago. Annoying and potentially could've killed momentum a number of times. ISU is an engineering school for Jimminy's sake. Get a grad student on the job!
    First, can people PLEASE stop complaining about student attendance? There were a whole lot of empty seats in the NCC areas as well, not to mention the fact that on weekday nights attendance is always bad for both students and regular season ticket holders. The bottom line on attendance is if the team is good, students show up. The bad weather is sometimes a factor, but usually the statement is like this: "Well, it's not worth going out in the cold to watch a crappy team." When the team is fighting to get into the NCAAs and not struggling to stay above .500, students will show up.

The shot clock-totally agree. Also, can we get a buzzer that people can actually hear? The current shot clock buzzer sounds like that cheap thing you find in the game Taboo. A buzzer should BUZZ, or SIREN, or something LOUD

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 3

PATHETIC is the only way to describe the students!!! Thanks for coming to those that were there, but they def. dont need that many seats. The new wave students dont seem to know much about basketball, esp. ISU basketball. While sitting in Cyclone Alley tonight (just graduated, still make it to some games), I heard the dumbest comments EVER at a basketball game.

The refs were terrible; I thought Jiri and Longar were gonna throw down for a while there.

Finally, CONGRATS to the team.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

No, but I guess I'd feel safe in saying that far more non-student ticket holders were there than student holders. Which is a shame because the arguement that is made by students to get those seats is that college and college activities is for the students. The point is the student body is given, quite literally, hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of seats. And they were maybe a third full tonight - just parquet. Upper level was empty.

This is a relatively new setup. When I was in school you had students spread all over the place and you could be in the upper corners row 17. I don't think students today realize how good they got it. And what else, I don't think they should bank on keeping it with such poor turnouts. There are plenty of people who will pony up far more than the students will for those seats. At some time, and that time will come sooner than later, JP will realize that selling seats for a larger profit, and probably a better turnout, will be better than handing them to the student body for a lesser amount, and having them empty. Maybe JP should up the price for the students, make them a little more valuable. I know I didn't have to really consider going or not going up to Ames from Des Moines, when I took into account I had $75 worth of tickets that would go to waste.

I don't fault kids who got tests or whatever. But that's the exception, not the norm. I really doubt that cold weather has effected the bar scene much. I know it never did in the past.

Unfortunately, you hit the nail on the head.

"when many are just bandwagon fands and expected a loss tonight."

And that's not limited to the students either. I guess I just don't understand it. Seems like these last few games have had less than disappointing student turnouts. We lived for home basketball games during the Johnny years. And I'm not sure those teams were all that much better than this one. Certainly as frustrating.

But I do appreciate and credit those who did show. I'm sure the kids who are there every game feel like they're getting slammed as part of the whole. That's certainly not my intention. I imagine that of the 500 or so that were there tonight, 90% are there every game. They should be commended and not feel like these complaints are directed at them.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 02-14-2007 at 12:55 AM.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I'll agree with the comments regarding the students as soon as the thousands of other fans make 10% the noise the students do.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 885
    Given: 624

And the shot clock! These have been around for years. These should run perfectly. Or they need a built in backup system. Yes, it would not stop running once it started. I must have seen shot clock problems about a hundred times on TV games - if cars were this dependable, we would not drive as much.

As far as student attendance goes, only two games left. I think the next big crowd may be the Texas Tech game to see Bobby in action.

Whomever guarded Neal probably secretly won the game tonight.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

I understand some students missing a game because it's just one of those weeks with tons of work, but I've never missed a game because of studying. The only one I missed was Savannah State and it was because my final exam started at the same time as tip off.

It's not that big of a deal to still go to the game. You know what days the games and tests are well in advance. Just study for it as if the test was the day before and be ready for it. Then, all you need is a little review when you get back after the game and you're good to go.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

I noticed the overall attendance before I noticed the student attendance, frankly. The normal seating was as spotty as I've ever seen it.

It'll get better in time. Once the teams improve, so will the attendance.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,247
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 80

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    No, but I guess I'd feel safe in saying that far more non-student ticket holders were there than student holders. Which is a shame because the arguement that is made by students to get those seats is that college and college activities is for the students. The point is the student body is given, quite literally, hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of seats. And they were maybe a third full tonight - just parquet. Upper level was empty.

This is a relatively new setup. When I was in school you had students spread all over the place and you could be in the upper corners row 17. I don't think students today realize how good they got it. And what else, I don't think they should bank on keeping it with such poor turnouts. There are plenty of people who will pony up far more than the students will for those seats. At some time, and that time will come sooner than later, JP will realize that selling seats for a larger profit, and probably a better turnout, will be better than handing them to the student body for a lesser amount, and having them empty. Maybe JP should up the price for the students, make them a little more valuable. I know I didn't have to really consider going or not going up to Ames from Des Moines, when I took into account I had $75 worth of tickets that would go to waste.

I don't fault kids who got tests or whatever. But that's the exception, not the norm. I really doubt that cold weather has effected the bar scene much. I know it never did in the past.

Unfortunately, you hit the nail on the head.

"when many are just bandwagon fands and expected a loss tonight."

And that's not limited to the students either. I guess I just don't understand it. Seems like these last few games have had less than disappointing student turnouts. We lived for home basketball games during the Johnny years. And I'm not sure those teams were all that much better than this one. Certainly as frustrating.

But I do appreciate and credit those who did show. I'm sure the kids who are there every game feel like they're getting slammed as part of the whole. That's certainly not my intention. I imagine that of the 500 or so that were there tonight, 90% are there every game. They should be commended and not feel like these complaints are directed at them.
    What are you talking about DaddyMac? You completely contradict yourself. Don't hate on students. During the Orr era, students had it much better. There were rotating seats that included center parquet AND arena circle seats, in addition to the existing behind the basket seats, and center court balcony seats. This bashing is getting old on both sides.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Weekdays are always bad, plus a lot of students may have tests. For as bad as the weather was and how the team has been playing and it being a weekday it was a good crowd and great game to watch.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Who's hating on students?

Sure they included all those areas - maybe. It was hit and miss how good your rotation was. But the other part of that rotation was being in the rafters for some games as well. And I'm pretty sure that's what I said

"When I was in school you had students spread all over the place and you could be in the upper corners row 17."

There wasn't much of a section was my point, and the game in, game out seating wasn't (what I would consider) as nice. You might luck out and get mid court parquet for KU. You just as easily might have balcony corner row 17 as I said (which of course was my draw)

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

You're not wrong at all. We had our choice of parquet seats. We sat in our ticketed seat for the first half. Durig halftime, the three of us went over to a friend of my father-in-laws and decided to sit with he and his wife for the seond half. Wasn't much trouble. There were - I don't know how many empty seats to the one side them, and 4 empties to the other side.

Effectively they shared the entire row with two other people. And these were about row 14 parquet midcourt seats. That situation was hardly the exception as well.

Which does lead me to another beef - or more of baffle.

We're up 4 with 1:00 as I recall. Pretty sure that OU has the ball in addition. And the number of people leaving was mind-boggling. Not leaving in droves, mind you - that didn't happen until :30. I can't figure out why people leave when it was only a 2 possession game with :30 to play?

What really killed me was the couple of people that passed by us on their way out at the minute mark, coming up from arena circle. What's the rush to get out of there? Especially when the game is so in doubt still? I mean, really! If I had paid that kind of money, for those seats.... I'd be sticking around to watch them sweep the floors and fix the scoreboard.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 02-14-2007 at 01:40 AM.

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 65

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    There were rotating seats that included center parquet AND arena circle seats
    One season, 92 or 93, we had seats two rows behind the ISU bench against KU and for some non-conference game, we also had seats maybe 8 or 9 rows up behind the visitor bench for a couple of games. Those seats made the nose bleed seats for the rest of the season worth it. In retrospect, while I hated the nose bleed seats at times, the rotation of seats throughout the season was a nice idea.

Walk On
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Fun game to see in person tonight. Despite the numbers(9000-10000?), the crowd was quite lively and loud, even while much of the game we had a double digit lead. And despite the spotty officiating during the 2nd half, we pulled out the game. Oklahoma was definitely more physical in the 2nd half, pressing most of the time--good practice for us as KSU will try to out-physical us again this weekend.

As a basketball fan, I am baffled by people who do come to the game and leave with 50 seconds left and a sure win not in hand(I wouldn't leave even if it was a sure win, but I'll let that part slide). If the fans don't care who wins, why do they come to the game? Don't care, if that's what they want to do--just baffling to me. Just like the majority of people who have coat in hand as the game ends and are racing for the exits--the band hasn't even finished the final fight song(the team hasn't even made it to the locker room yet) and the building is 3/4's empty. These people and I are at the game for different reasons, but we can still all have a good time.

Good game, worth the 4 hours round trip. Looking forward to the Tech game.