Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 19,268, Level: 42
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bfross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    868
    Points
    19,268
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

    Scheme against our opponent

    Do some research on NDSU. How do you think we are going to exploit them to get the advantage? I don't assume we will come up with anything earth-shaking that NDSU coaches won't already have thought of (so don't worry about showing our hand). I figured this would be an interesting discussion if we get some good football minds chiming in (I don't have one). What kind of wrinkles or looks will we throw at them in the three phases? Do we have a play that we can continue to use to get big chunks of yardage? Who is the defensive line going to pick on to get to the QB?



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 84,696, Level: 90
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,832
    Points
    84,696
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 193

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    If our O or D is gonna try to pick on someone, i might think that it would be were one of the many starters were suspended this past year. There were a handful of them, if I remember correctly, dont know if they were all starters or not though.


    #BEATIOWA

  3. #3
    Recruit
    Points: 4,572, Level: 19
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    99
    Points
    4,572
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    If our O or D is gonna try to pick on someone, i might think that it would be were one of the many starters were suspended this past year. There were a handful of them, if I remember correctly, dont know if they were all starters or not though.
    There is only one starter that will not be playing for NDSU at the ISU game. He is a DE and arguably the best one we have. That could hurt a bit as NDSU is not real deep in that position. Other than that the D-line is experienced and very good. LB this year have some experience, but are a question mark. The secondary has quite a few fast and talented guys returning and is looking real good.
    NDSU's offensive line is big, experienced and well conditioned - averging over 310 lb and 6'5" tall. Likely as good as a mid level FBS team. The runningbacks have some experience as one of them had several nice runs agains the gophers a couple years ago. The TE position is solid and also returns a guy that had a TD catch against Minnesota. There is a redshirt TE that is 6'7" and making some noise. The QB is the same inconsistent guy from last year and here is where the suspensions might hurt. The next in line QB will have to sit out the ISU game and he has looked very good in practice. WR is questionable and some JUCO transfers might help if they can get up to speed soon enough.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 443,759, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,931
    Points
    443,759
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 193
    Given: 25

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    Their defensive front is going to be sucking wind by halftime if we can sustain a few drives. If we can go 3-4 wide and make their linebackers run around the field chasing backs/slot receivers we should wear them down in a no-huddle. Moving our offense laterally with running plays as well should wear them down.

    Defensively, varying coverages and blitzing packages will be huge. Our front 4 last year were terrible getting pressure and our linebackers and defensive backs got eaten alive by it. Defensive line needs to either get pressure and collapse the pocket (their quarterback from watching film looks like he panics and makes too fast of judgments) or get their hands up and cut off short passing lanes. And for God's sake, if they catch the ball, wrap up and finish! Don't just lay the wood to the guy and hope he falls down.


    Last edited by IcSyU; 08-20-2009 at 12:06 PM.

  5. #5
    Recruit
    Points: 4,572, Level: 19
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    99
    Points
    4,572
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Their defensive front is going to be sucking wind by halftime if we can sustain a few drives. If we can go 3-4 wide and make their linebackers run around the field chasing backs/slot receivers we should wear them down in a no-huddle. Moving our offense laterally with running plays as well should wear them down.

    Defensively, varying coverages and blitzing packages will be huge. Our front 4 last year were terrible getting pressure and our linebackers and defensive backs got eaten alive by it. Defensive line needs to either get pressure and collapse the pocket (their quarterback from watching film looks like he panics and makes too fast of judgments) or get their hands up and cut off short passing lanes. And for God's sake, if they catch the ball, wrap up and finish! Don't just lay the wood to the guy and hope he falls down.
    Have to agree with your summary.........I am sure the NDSU defense is doing everything they can to prepare for the no huddle spread. I also think our starting and back up linebackers are quick enough and fast enough, but they may be a bit undersized. Could be interesting if ISU decides to run more. Actually I think NDSU's secondary might be good enough to minimize the passing game and get a pick or two.
    As for NDSU's offense I am most worried about a one dimensional game where we can run with occasional success, but due to problems passing ISU can stack the line and cause problems all game. This was NDSU's #1 problem last year. Unless the coaches and QB can come up with something to improve the medium to long passing game this will continue to be a problem in 2009.



  6. #6
    Swarm & Punish
    Points: 288,929, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    keepngoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    20,087
    Points
    288,929
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 580
    Given: 1,144

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    I would like to see a fast paced Offense from our no huddle... and still have another gear to go for the following week.

    -keep


    The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

    May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,013, Level: 77
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,237
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    3,920
    Points
    62,013
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 42

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBison View Post
    Have to agree with your summary.........I am sure the NDSU defense is doing everything they can to prepare for the no huddle spread. I also think our starting and back up linebackers are quick enough and fast enough, but they may be a bit undersized. Could be interesting if ISU decides to run more. Actually I think NDSU's secondary might be good enough to minimize the passing game and get a pick or two.
    As for NDSU's offense I am most worried about a one dimensional game where we can run with occasional success, but due to problems passing ISU can stack the line and cause problems all game. This was NDSU's #1 problem last year. Unless the coaches and QB can come up with something to improve the medium to long passing game this will continue to be a problem in 2009.
    Only one player on NDSU's current team had a pick last season and that was a whopping 2. Looking at the stats it appears that NDSU's secondary lacks play makers and starting experience. They lost their two best DBs to graduation and the rest appear to just be warm bodies except for maybe Cyrus Lemon. I think ISU's wideouts are going to be too much for NDSU to handle.


    I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 343,221, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    16,745
    Points
    343,221
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,471
    Given: 3,081

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    Quote Originally Posted by cycloneG View Post
    Only one player on NDSU's current team had a pick last season and that was a whopping 2. Looking at the stats it appears that NDSU's secondary lacks play makers and starting experience. They lost their two best DBs to graduation and the rest appear to just be warm bodies except for maybe Cyrus Lemon. I think ISU's wideouts are going to be too much for NDSU to handle.

    WOAH!!!! Facts and statistics have no place here! The Bison fans have told us that their corners are fast (most corners in the big 12 are slow right?). No way they can't handle our stable of Big 12 receivers. No way!



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 20,470, Level: 43
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,074
    Points
    20,470
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    BigBison is correct, they do have a good sized and fairly experienced O-line. I see our Inside DL being neutralized, not getting into the backfield much but at the sametime not letting much of a running game through. I think our ends will be able to bring the pressure and fluster the lackluster QB.

    I don't see as much pressure in the NDSU backfield as we gave SDSU last year, but I would expect constant disruption from the ends and hurried plays.

    Our DBs have much more experience and I would venture to guess much more playmaking ability than NDSU's corp of new receivers. I don't foresee much production here for the Water Buffalos.

    On offense I think zone-read off-tackle runs will exploit their youth at OLB and DEs. If our experienced Oline doesn't dominate the trenches from snap 1, that will be a very bad oman for the 2009 football season. If there is much pressure from the ends I'll be surprised.

    Therefore, I see Arnaud having the time to pick apart a mediocre dbackfield and flats. It appears that they do have good athletes at DB but I think our WRs will "outrun" and "outathlete" them. (I've said it once, I'll say it agian, there's a reason D1 and D1AA are not the same thing)

    It'll be a hard fought battle, where NDSU has nothing to lose, but I think we overpower them and in the end win by at least 2-3 TDs.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 254,394, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,733
    Points
    254,394
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 0

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    Honestly we should be stacking the line and run blitzing constantly IMO. If our corners can't go one on one with their receivers we are probably going to lose a lot of games this year.




  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 52,469, Level: 70
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Niceville, FL
    Posts
    2,279
    Points
    52,469
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 13

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBison View Post
    There is only one starter that will not be playing for NDSU at the ISU game. He is a DE and arguably the best one we have. That could hurt a bit as NDSU is not real deep in that position. Other than that the D-line is experienced and very good. LB this year have some experience, but are a question mark. The secondary has quite a few fast and talented guys returning and is looking real good.
    NDSU's offensive line is big, experienced and well conditioned - averging over 310 lb and 6'5" tall. Likely as good as a mid level FBS team. The runningbacks have some experience as one of them had several nice runs agains the gophers a couple years ago. The TE position is solid and also returns a guy that had a TD catch against Minnesota. There is a redshirt TE that is 6'7" and making some noise. The QB is the same inconsistent guy from last year and here is where the suspensions might hurt. The next in line QB will have to sit out the ISU game and he has looked very good in practice. WR is questionable and some JUCO transfers might help if they can get up to speed soon enough.

    The way you speak of the entire team, we were to think they are a BCS National Championship contender! Is there anybody on the team, except for the QB, that is not "real good", "solid", "experienced", etc...?



  12. #12
    Recruit
    Points: 4,572, Level: 19
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    99
    Points
    4,572
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    The way you speak of the entire team, we were to think they are a BCS National Championship contender! Is there anybody on the team, except for the QB, that is not "real good", "solid", "experienced", etc...?
    I did say the LB's were questionable. These were overall position marks not specifics. Thought you might appreciate the info, but of course you had to go on the attack. Take it as you want.....remember the competition for the entire year is predominately FCS so of course ISU is superior in every position without a doubt.



  13. #13
    Recruit
    Points: 4,572, Level: 19
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    99
    Points
    4,572
    Level
    19
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Honestly we should be stacking the line and run blitzing constantly IMO. If our corners can't go one on one with their receivers we are probably going to lose a lot of games this year.
    That is what i would do if I was facing the Bison. The passing game is going to be average at best.......especially at the start of this season.



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 96,305, Level: 96
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 745
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,200
    Points
    96,305
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 0

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    Our problem in the past, if we can't get a pass rush, we make an average quarterback look like an allstar. That can be a problem in this game. Our DL is unproven, and the Bison have a good OL, so potential problems there. We should be fine on offense, but I expect a lot of blitzes to counter our spread, and we'll see how AA reacts under pressure.
    I too think ISU can run, and that may be a strength for us. If we can pressure the QB, we should be ok in the game. If not, anything can happen. We will soon see.



  15. #15
    Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,794
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Scheme against our opponent

    Quote Originally Posted by bfross View Post
    Do some research on NDSU. How do you think we are going to exploit them to get the advantage?
    We don't have to scheme or exploit them to get an advantage. Our advantage is that we are a Big XII team and they are a FCS team that just finished in 5th place in the Missouri Valley Conference. We line up, keep it simple and play straightforward football, and kick their butts.


    Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

    My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM