Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,335
    Given: 935

Finally some love...

At least someone FINALLY has some appreciation for what Chizik was able to do in 2 months...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...2.blitz/2.html

Yeah, they had our class rated #11, but that's to be expected. But read the content, and it's nothing but respect for Chizik (unlike, ahem, cough, cough, the sporting news)

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Finally some love...

Just e-mailed it to Tom Dienhart........not that it makes any differnce to him or me that his blog sucks with sour grapes...........he won't let go of the Kelly thing.........he still thinks D-Mac was the best we will ever get at ISU.

Does anyone know if he and D-Mac were tight? He comes across as a D-Mac Homer............

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Exclamation Re: Finally some love...

Quote Originally Posted by loboclone View Post
    he won't let go of the Kelly thing
    Don't get me wrong, as I'm entirely on the Chizik bandwagon, but I really liked the prospect of Brian Kelly as the ISU football coach. The guy built programs and won big everywhere he went, plus he was an offensive innovator. I'm unarguably in the minority on this, but Brian Kelly was my preferred candidate (and Dinehart's as well). The only negative(s) that I saw were lack of a high profile name and questionable "recruiting base"; the man can definitely coach! We're all "fat and happy" now because we landed a big name with ties to fertile recruiting states, but only time will tell if JP made the correct decision. In the interim, Mark Dinehart has a right to his opposing opinion. JOMHO...

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Addict
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,344
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by iccyfan View Post
    Don't get me wrong, as I'm entirely on the Chizik bandwagon, but I really liked the prospect of Brian Kelly as the ISU football coach. The guy built programs and won big everywhere he went, plus he was an offensive innovator. I'm unarguably in the minority on this, but Brian Kelly was my preferred candidate (and Dinehart's as well). The only negative(s) that I saw were lack of a high profile name and questionable "recruiting base"; the man can definitely coach! We're all "fat and happy" now because we landed a big name with ties to fertile recruiting states, but only time will tell if JP made the correct decision. In the interim, Mark Dinehart has a right to his opposing opinion. JOMHO...
    Offensively there was no doubt that Brian Kelly had credibility, but his lack of Division I experience turned me away.

Besides, there was no way Pollard could have made a controversial hire like Brian Kelly after firing a coach with such strong emotional ties to the program/school/fans/etc as Dan McCarney. Pollard needed a name like Chizik and he got him.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    Offensively there was no doubt that Brian Kelly had credibility, but his lack of Division I experience turned me away.

Besides, there was no way Pollard could have made a controversial hire like Brian Kelly after firing a coach with such strong emotional ties to the program/school/fans/etc as Dan McCarney. Pollard needed a name like Chizik and he got him.
    Didn't McCarney resign???

Actually, JP needed to hire someone the exact opposite of McCarney, a winner. Kelly would have fit that bill, because he was a winner at every stop.

Plus he had more Division 1 coaching experience than McCarney had or Chizik has.

I am happy with Chizik, but to slam on Brian Kelly is extremely unfair, and short sighted.

Last edited by darts180; 02-15-2007 at 03:52 PM.
    Jeffrey A Crawford

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 670
    Given: 390

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    Plus he had more Division 1 coaching experience than McCarney had or Chizik has.

I am happy with Chizik, but to slam on Brian Kelly is extremely unfair, and short sighted.
    Actually Kelly only had 3 years of D1 experience. So make had him by a long ways in experience. Kelly's Div. 1 record? 19-16...not overly impressive. Granted Central Michigan wasn't that good when he took over.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Actually Kelly only had 3 years of D1 experience. So make had him by a long ways in experience. Kelly's Div. 1 record? 19-16...not overly impressive. Granted Central Michigan wasn't that good when he took over.
    How many years of Division 1 head coaching experience did Dan McCarney and Gene Chizik have before they took the job???? Hell, how much head coaching experience at any level did either one of them have???? I will answer that for you, they had the same amount as you and I do NONE.

Jeffrey A Crawford

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 93
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Wink Re: Finally some love...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    Brother, I don't care where he coached if he can run up statistics like those that follow and win a pair of National Titles. Jim Tressel won a pair of Division II titles at Youngstown State before OSU saw fit to hire him!

http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-...y_brian00.html

"Kelly arrived at Central Michigan after winning back-to-back NCAA Division II national titles at Grand Valley State. The Lakers were 41-2 in Kelly's final three seasons, at one point winning 32 consecutive games. Grand Valley State went 14-0 in 2002 en route to its first national title and was 14-1 in 2003 when it claimed its second crown. Kelly was named the AFCA Division II Coach of the Year after both of those seasons.

His 2001 national runner-up squad set 77 NCAA, GLIAC, and school records, including setting the all-time Division II scoring record by averaging 58.4 points per game. The 2001 team also became the first Division II unit in 53 years to average more than 600 yards per game in total offense (600.8).

Grand Valley followed up its record-shattering 2001 season by averaging 497.5 yards and 47.0 points during its undefeated 2002 national championship run. The 2003 team, meanwhile, was more noted for its defense. The Lakers defeated North Dakota, 10-3, in the 2003 national title game."

Again, I'm happy with the Head Coach that ISU hired, but I don't think Mark Dinehart should be criticized for opining that Brian Kelly would have been a good hire for ISU. He would have been and I know I'll be watching the Cincinnati Bearcats with interest...

To protect my hard-earned rep points, let it be known that I've increased my National Cyclone Club contribution and renewed my FIVE season football tickets. Nobody wants Gene Chizik to do a great job more than me (well, maybe Pollard)! Go Cyclones!!!

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Again, I'm happy with the Head Coach that ISU hired, but I don't think Mark Dinehart should be criticized for opining that Brian Kelly would have been a good hire for ISU. He would have been
    Kelly would have/could have been a good hire for ISU, as the same with Chizik. We ended up with the coach that was at the top of both Pollard's and Dr. Geoffrey's lists. The problem with Dinehart is that he continually bashes ISU and Chizik because we didn't go with Kelly like he thought we would. If he wouldn't p!ss and moan about Chizik and his "poor" recruiting this season, he wouldn't irk so many people. But he does that, and it irritates people.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,097
    Given: 924

Idont' care what people think of him as long as we get wins next year!!

@RandomGeoFacts

Speechless
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 613

I think it is very obvious that Chizik could recruit Texas, Flordia and deep south better with his staff than Brian Kelly who would be recruiting more Illinois and Ohio and Michigan players. To get kids to come to Ames, usually you recruit best areas fo good player who can return home to play. Kragthorpe was equal to brian Kelly. Both may be better coiaches - time will tell. Yet the recruiting Texas and Florida is what we need first.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by darts180 View Post
    Being DC at Auburn and Texas with a National Championship not to mention 2 years under Mac Brown is a little bit more experience than head coach of Central Michigan, in my opinion.

Thanks for giving me negative feedback for expressing my opinion though...

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

To protect my hard-earned rep points, let it be known that I've increased my National Cyclone Club contribution and renewed my FIVE season football tickets. Nobody wants Gene Chizik to do a great job more than me (well, maybe Pollard)! Go Cyclones!!!
    Don't worry iccyfan -- I don't really care about the whole rep points thing, but I would never give anyone negative feedback for presenting their opinion in at least a half way respectable way.

darts180 on the otherhand, he'll give you negative rep if you even mention the name of that last coach who was here for 12 years. I think his name was McCarney. Opps, here comes another negative feedback my way.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I think the biggest knock on Kelly was his reputation for recruiting trash.
    Lots of discipline/law troubles etc.... Cincy must have decided they survived Huggy Bear they will survive with him. I really think we got the right guy and the Gophers got our second best choice in Brewster..
    Kelly will win at Cincy right away and make us look bad in the short run.
    But, he is a guy that will bounce around quite often and I think Chizik is more likely to stay for a longer run.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,285
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 79

Quote Originally Posted by unibob00 View Post
    I think the biggest knock on Kelly was his reputation for recruiting trash.
    Lots of discipline/law troubles etc.... Cincy must have decided they survived Huggy Bear they will survive with him. I really think we got the right guy and the Gophers got our second best choice in Brewster..
    Kelly will win at Cincy right away and make us look bad in the short run.
    But, he is a guy that will bounce around quite often and I think Chizik is more likely to stay for a longer run.
    Speaking of trash, Kelly thinks he's in Boulder. Glad JP is our guy. Kelly must have 'coached' under Barnett & Neuheisel.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2773717