Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quad Cities

I got a new job in Rock Island and I need to find a place to live. The guys at the office laughed and said dont bother looking in Rock Island or the downtown Davenport area.

So my question to anyone with experience in the QCA is where are the good parts to town to live in, who are good property managers to rent from, etc?

kthxbye :)

Prospect
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Quad Cities

my coworker used to live in some apartments, think it was eagles crest off locust. close to emeis golf course. we work in rock island. it is nice because it is a short trip to 280 and you can get to RI in about 10 min, definitely faster than cutting thru town going on centennial bridge. pretty decent place. can't remember the rent. if looking at the apartment route, i would recommend that route. where at in RI do you work? lotta construction on 92 right now.

Pro
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 717
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 30

There is nice parts in Davenport. They just built new apartments by Menards on 53rd st and Harrison. Also, they built some new one's next to highway 74.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 591
    Given: 148

I would recommend living in Dubuque. Place is freaking awesome, and is no more than 75 minutes from Rock Island. Seriously Dubuque is awesome, just ask anyone who has ever lived there. They will tell you how awesomely awesome it is!

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

There are some nice lofts in downtown Davenport. Bettendorf is mostly nice. LeClaire is a small town fairly close...Same with Port Byron.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

the new ones off of I-74 are low income housing. you don't necessarily have to avoid downtown davenport. there is one brand new loft complex (river walk lofts) and another that is fairly new (crescent lofts). jersey ridge manor 2 is close to the village of east davenport, home to a couple of good bars.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quad Cities have a lot of options. I prefer Iowa side much more than the Illinois side. But I've got some friends that like Illinois better. I think Illinois is cheaper to live in than Iowa.

Bettendorf is probably considered the more "expensive" part of the area. A lot of families live there and then work in one of the other cities. Downtown Davenport is all dependent upon where you live. You can live in Downtown and find a nice place, but wouldn't want to live near downtown. Plenty of apartments to find all over Davenport that are nice. Favorite area to have a few beers is probably the East Village in Davenport. They've got a lot of nice bars there.

I think the most important thing is to find out what you are looking for and then you can narrow it down to good places. There are only a select few areas I wouldn't want to live in the Quad Cities, but I've lived in very shady areas in LA so maybe my perception is a little squeued.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Prospect
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    I would recommend living in Dubuque. Place is freaking awesome, and is no more than 75 minutes from Rock Island. Seriously Dubuque is awesome, just ask anyone who has ever lived there. They will tell you how awesomely awesome it is!
    idk bro. i have alot of friends from dubuque and honestly from what i heard from them it sounds like one of the worst places out there. they are always talking about this elevator and god knows what else. it is pretty aweful.

thanks for your suggestion, but in the end I'm straight.

Prospect
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

thanks for your responese guys

There are a few that Ive been looking at online near Northpark Malll and Cross Creek Apartments near I74.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 527
    Given: 369

And to make that drive on a daily basis is flat out stupid, especially when there are nice places to live that are much closer than that. It's not like the Quad Cities is the sprawling metro area of Chicago where you have to look that far out. If I were the OP I wouldn't look any further out than DeWitt to the north, Aledo (IL) to the south, Cedar County to the west, and Henry County (IL) to the east.

The advice given to you is pretty much true - for the most part I'd avoid much of Rock Island (although that's pretty much overstated, the southern and eastern parts of Rock Island, particularly once you start getting east of 24th Street and south of 18th Avenue, especially around Augustana College, are really nice). In Davenport I'd also avoid anything inside the "box" that is defined by west of Brady St and south of Locust St. I'd also avoid the area immediately surrounding West High School, Americana Park, which is north and east of North High School just off of north Brady Street just south of I-80, and I'd avoid anything at least 5 blocks to either side of Duck Creek Parkway - Duck Creek every so often has a nasty habit of turning into a raging river that floods homes along Duck Creek pretty badly.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    Quad Cities have a lot of options. I prefer Iowa side much more than the Illinois side. But I've got some friends that like Illinois better. I think Illinois is cheaper to live in than Iowa.

Bettendorf is probably considered the more "expensive" part of the area. A lot of families live there and then work in one of the other cities. Downtown Davenport is all dependent upon where you live. You can live in Downtown and find a nice place, but wouldn't want to live near downtown. Plenty of apartments to find all over Davenport that are nice. Favorite area to have a few beers is probably the East Village in Davenport. They've got a lot of nice bars there.

I think the most important thing is to find out what you are looking for and then you can narrow it down to good places. There are only a select few areas I wouldn't want to live in the Quad Cities, but I've lived in very shady areas in LA so maybe my perception is a little squeued.
    I agree with much of this. Bettendorf is sometimes perceived as the "big money" area, but you've really got to be east of Devil's Glen Road to get into that high priced area. Anything west of that, especially as you get closer to Utica Ridge Rd and I-74, is pretty reasonably priced (my sister and brother-in-law live in that area, and they are by no means rich).

I've lived in the Quad Cities community for the majority of my life (25 of my 30 years - excluding Iowa State) - and as CTA said, there are very few places here that I wouldn't live either - the areas I stated above are due to property values and minor criminal activity such as vandalism and breaking and entering. These areas are more prone to criminal activity, but it's not like someone who lives in these areas are murdered every other day.

Personally, I live in Eldridge, a small town a few miles north of Davenport. It's a small, clean, beautiful town where most of my friends lived before I moved there. Also, the North Scott School District is generally viewed in a more favorable light than the Davenport School District is.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 786
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 17

Lies, dbq is a hellhole

jdogg's comments are pretty much spot on.

I grew up in Eldridge ('86-'05 or so) and it is a great community. Both Bettendorf and Pleasant Valley have excellent schools as well if you have kids and they're of school age. I couldn't really tell you about searching for good areas living expenses wise, but there are few areas of the QCA I wouldn't live in, save Davenport past St. Ambrose

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bader View Post
    Lies, dbq is a hellhole

jdogg's comments are pretty much spot on.

I grew up in Eldridge ('86-'05 or so) and it is a great community. Both Bettendorf and Pleasant Valley have excellent schools as well if you have kids and they're of school age. I couldn't really tell you about searching for good areas living expenses wise, but there are few areas of the QCA I wouldn't live in, save Davenport past St. Ambrose
    ...and just south and west of St. Ambrose would put him in that box that I told him to avoid.

Legend
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 591
    Given: 148

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    And to make that drive on a daily basis is flat out stupid, especially when there are nice places to live that are much closer than that. It's not like the Quad Cities is the sprawling metro area of Chicago where you have to look that far out. If I were the OP I wouldn't look any further out than DeWitt to the north, Aledo (IL) to the south, Cedar County to the west, and Henry County (IL) to the east.

The advice given to you is pretty much true - for the most part I'd avoid much of Rock Island (although that's pretty much overstated, the southern and eastern parts of Rock Island, particularly once you start getting east of 24th Street and south of 18th Avenue, especially around Augustana College, are really nice). In Davenport I'd also avoid anything inside the "box" that is defined by west of Brady St and south of Locust St. I'd also avoid the area immediately surrounding West High School, Americana Park, which is north and east of North High School just off of north Brady Street just south of I-80, and I'd avoid anything at least 5 blocks to either side of Duck Creek Parkway - Duck Creek every so often has a nasty habit of turning into a raging river that floods homes along Duck Creek pretty badly.
    Wait, didn't you call em out yesterday for not having "mental imaginary"? Maybe you should look up sarcasm in the dictionary.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Davenport catches a ton of negativity. I'll admit I was ready to move out of there when I did but now that I have left, I kind of miss the place. If you're young, look at some lofts downtown near some night life. I enjoyed the east village, especially The Bier Stube. Ask for bartender Jared and he will take care of you.