Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254
    Given: 0

Very interesting new videos up on cyclones.com

Had a scrimmage again today it sounds like. The offense did very well... and the defense not so much.

Wally Burnham sounds VERY concerned at this point about the defense. Said that Frere, Alburtis, and James Smith are banged up... but nothing serious. Said the defense is a major concern right now and they will only be installing about 3/4ths of what they planned on because it's just not sinking in basically? Doesn't sound too promising.

Herman seemed pretty excited about how the offense is looking. As far as depth chart moves, he said that Money is in the top 3 or 4 right now because he catches everything thrown at him and is much more physical than they thought he would be. Mentioned also that a couple young RBs have moved up the depth chart, but not to number one so he wasn't going to mention any names. Said that some guys just think they can show up and don't have to work.... and that if they don't want to work they will move on without them because we have enough guys that do want to do the work. My guess is that both Beau and James White have moved up and that Bo Williams is probably in the big doghouse? Just a guess.

Some very interesting points. Doesn't sound good for the defense right now though. Hopefully it's because they are missing so many starters that are dinged up?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 4

Re: Very interesting new videos up on cyclones.com

Bo just isn't suited for this offense, can't catch or block. He is at best #4 on the depth chart right now.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 59

I was really hoping that defense would have stepped it up by now. This is concerning.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    I was really hoping that defense would have stepped it up by now. This is concerning.
    I really thought that our D couldn't go downhill anymore then it has been/is. I guess I'm wrong.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

My first thoughts were Bo as well

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 254

Quote Originally Posted by CyForPresident View Post
    Bo just isn't suited for this offense, can't catch or block. He is at best #4 on the depth chart right now.
    Agreed. I haven't heard any negative things about Schwartz so far, but Herman was pretty ticked off about one of the RBs it sounded like to me? He also said a couple young RBs have moved up.

You are right though, Bo Williams is probably not suited at all for this offense. Struggles with catching the ball and pass protecting. Not a good combination for the spread. Poor guy came here because Florida was going to the spread... and now this. However, it doesn't sound like he's been trying too hard either? He could easily be #5 right now behind ARob, Schwartz, Beau, and James White? I thought James White looked VERY quick and agile in some of the practice videos.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,817
    Given: 1,527

Haven't watched the video yet, but isn't a coach supposed to sound concerned as opposed to just assuming that everything's going to be fine?

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Had a scrimmage again today it sounds like. The offense did very well... and the defense not so much.

Wally Burnham sounds VERY concerned at this point about the defense. Said that Frere, Alburtis, and James Smith are banged up... but nothing serious. Said the defense is a major concern right now and they will only be installing about 3/4ths of what they planned on because it's just not sinking in basically? Doesn't sound too promising.

Herman seemed pretty excited about how the offense is looking. As far as depth chart moves, he said that Money is in the top 3 or 4 right now because he catches everything thrown at him and is much more physical than they thought he would be. Mentioned also that a couple young RBs have moved up the depth chart, but not to number one so he wasn't going to mention any names. Said that some guys just think they can show up and don't have to work.... and that if they don't want to work they will move on without them because we have enough guys that do want to do the work. My guess is that both Beau and James White have moved up and that Bo Williams is probably in the big doghouse? Just a guess.

Some very interesting points. Doesn't sound good for the defense right now though. Hopefully it's because they are missing so many starters that are dinged up?

I wouldn't be overly concerned about this. It was just a few days ago that the roles were reversed - Herman was discouraged and Wally was feeling pretty upbeat. You might say that this is a good sign. The offense is having its moments and the defense is too. Today just happened to be the offense's day.

The important thing is that that Coach Rhoads says he's feeling pretty good about where the team is right now.

Starter
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 155

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonestate View Post
    I wouldn't be overly concerned about this. It was just a few days ago that the roles were reversed - Herman was discouraged and Wally was feeling pretty upbeat. You might say that this is a good sign. The offense is having its moments and the defense is too. Today just happened to be the offense's day.

The important thing is that that Coach Rhoads says he's feeling pretty good about where the team is right now.
    I agree. Plus, Wally is not used to having this bad of a defense. He knows what good looks like, and he knows we have a ways to go. But if we can just improve to the 50th worst defense in the country that would be a major improvement!

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91

Quote Originally Posted by Stewo View Post
    Remember that Coach Wally didn't experience what we experienced last year. Perhaps he's disappointed compared to what he's used to at S. Florida and we're ahead of what we were last year. We won't know until September.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Agreed. I haven't heard any negative things about Schwartz so far, but Herman was pretty ticked off about one of the RBs it sounded like to me? He also said a couple young RBs have moved up.

You are right though, Bo Williams is probably not suited at all for this offense. Struggles with catching the ball and pass protecting. Not a good combination for the spread. Poor guy came here because Florida was going to the spread... and now this. However, it doesn't sound like he's been trying too hard either? He could easily be #5 right now behind ARob, Schwartz, Beau, and James White? I thought James White looked VERY quick and agile in some of the practice videos.
    I'd be very careful about tossing out names of guys that you think aren't working hard. Unless you've been there and watched it with your own eyes, it just seems like a pretty careless and unfactualized(is that even a word?) comments. I watched the videos and didn't see Herman call anyone out by name or position so I'd say just be careful unless you've got some footage or facts to back it up. I'd hate to run down a kid that is busting his but in practice because I drew the wrong conclusions from an interview that may or may not even be shown in it's entirety. Not trying to be rude or a downer just wanting to make sure we're not running down kids for no reason.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneroyce View Post
    I agree. Plus, Wally is not used to having this bad of a defense. He knows what good looks like, and he knows we have a ways to go. But if we can just improve to the 50th worst defense in the country that would be a major improvement!
    that would be awesome. that would make us like the 2nd or 3rd best defense in the Big 12.

Rookie
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 11

If you listen to CPR when asked about Burnham's concerns on defense today he didn't seem as concerned. Herman was the same way, hedged about the offense's performance, and CPR was way more enthused about the O side of the ball than Herman. I think it's just coordinators trying to keep the players working hard more than anything.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 588
    Given: 324

No need for anybody to get too worked up about one scrimmage. Besides, we all know that we have work to do and some issues.

Nice to hear that Reynolds is looking great. Soaring right up the depth chart, usually when JC transfers do that immediately they have great careers with Iowa State (Dobbins, Seneca, Lloyd).

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 28

When we have all our 1's available on D, we are serviceable. Today, not all the 1's were available. Our depth on D is a major problem.