Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Overcoming recruiting hurdles

I know some of these kids we recruit have egos and ISU isn't exactly prestigious. How much do you think we have to overcome the "embarrassment factor" when recruiting kids? Some kids simply don't want to play for a "lowly" school like ISU and I wonder how often we lose out on kids due to prestige, or lack thereof.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Overcoming recruiting hurdles

First off they have to like the coaches.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Legend
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 840

Not much more than any other non-USC, OU, UT, tOSU, etc.

Starter
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 575
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Since this is a free site, it is likely that this is where prospective recruits come to learn more about ISU and its fan base. The negative posts on here, and this is a perfect example, make me cringe and do nothing to help our cause. What is the point of this thread? The negativity around here is getting to be unbearable. Maybe I am paranoid, because the number of these types of posts are almost suspicious.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StPaulCyclone View Post
    Since this is a free site, it is likely that this is where prospective recruits come to learn more about ISU and its fan base. The negative posts on here, and this is a perfect example, make me cringe and do nothing to help our cause. What is the point of this thread? The negativity around here is getting to be unbearable. Maybe I am paranoid, because the number of these types of posts are almost suspicious.
    Tell me about it

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 390

Any kid who would be "embarassed" to get a free education at a great university while playing football for a Big 12 school that has won plenty of games this decade is a D-Bag.

Now, it will always be tough to beat out schools like Texas and Oklahoma for kids, but Iowa State is a great school with a good football program that can compete with anybody!

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 730

I have to consider this a remarkably...ignorant post. The "prestigious" schools would be (in no particular order) Florida, FSU, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and a handful of others.

Just how many players do you think that they can sign a year???? Do you think that all players go to those schools?!!!

Last edited by Aclone; 08-17-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 445

I have a feeling that things like starting and playing time would be something we could offer that some of the higher universities couldn't always give.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Actually, the answer to you question is that you recruits kids that want to be at ISU. We are doing that. You go after the top tier kids who are looking at schools like Rice, Boise State etc and you get the cream of the crop. Athletic and SMART. They will overcome some of the speed or size issues that keep them from being recruited by Oklahoma, and they make up for it with their game smarts. Frankly, Iowa has done a nice job with that, and Rhoads understands the game.

Starter
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 6

We keep hearing about an NCAA playoff - so we can be like the NFL. Why don't we go one step further and have an NCAA draft? (Half-serious). I am so sick of seeing USC, Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida in the top 5 every year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by hoosman View Post
    We keep hearing about an NCAA playoff - so we can be like the NFL. Why don't we go one step further and have an NCAA draft? (Half-serious). I am so sick of seeing USC, Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida in the top 5 every year.
    Take the half serious out and this was a funny quote. You really think it's fair to tell a kid he has to go to school in Oregon when he is from Florida? Or what if the kid is an business wiz and he gets drafted by a school with a crappy business program? Did smebody tell you where you had to go to school? I see where you were tying to go but you can't tell a kid where he has to get is education from.

Starter
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by StPaulCyclone View Post
    The whole Mike Marry thing got me thinking about this. I don't know if he decided to accept the gray shirt simply because of prestige, but I don't doubt it helped keep him at Ole Miss.

I live in CR and know many Clones who are afraid to fly their colors in the belly of the beast (that is unless we win, of course). I was also down in Alabama for work in the last couple weeks and a lot of Auburn fans are afraid to fly their colors with the Crimson Tide running things. Hell, even Bofelli said the very same sentiment.

I think some of the posts that people have submitted that point to other reasons commits can come to ISU are good ones, but I read a lot of the updates with recruits. Many of them say the same thing; they are happy they got an ISU offer, but they often are waiting for other offers. They seem to consider us as a fallback. I'd like this to change immediately for a lot of kids, but wonder if anyone has any insight as to how big a challenge it is for our coaches to overcome. Perhaps it is simply an incorrect presumption on my part.

Winning cures all ills.

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 902
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 79

The coaches should be able to sell the vision. Ron Zook is not a great coach, but he's a great recruiter. What Zook sold to the recruits was the playing time and a chance to make history.

I think ISU can sell the same thing: recruits can have a plenty of playing time if they can prove themselves. Also, if they go to let's say OU, Texas, etc they might not be the starter or they will be a part-timer.

One more thing ISU can sell is the chance to make history. For example, no one invite, let's say, EIU team that won capital one bowl several years ago down the road as the fans expected the team to go to new year's bowl every year. While on the other hand, I have a strong feeling that in 2025, the team that went to INsight.com bowl will be honored. If one team can make it 9 wins or 10 wins, the team will be forever remembered. I am not saying that we tell the recruit that the bar is lower than let's say EIU, but this is the chance to make history

Third, if a player is successful in a "bad" team, that could indicate the player is very good. We need to use this lack of respect as a leverage. Remember Troy Davis ? Another example is TTU QBs: no matter how impressive their statistics are, experts will always doubt them as product of a "system".

Finally, having Wally Burnham as a DC really helps: he teaches fundamentals. We want in the long term that Cyclones will produce NFL draftees and players. I think that's the goal of the most players: to play in the NFL. What does NFL look for: fundamentally sound players. If we can have the coaches also have the vision that not only we need to win, but we should be able to elevate our players to the next level, it'll be a good selling point. This is what EIU sells: their players are drafted regularly

I know this is a long process and it's not easy. Agreed that winning will cure everything, but we can copy Illinois' blueprint in recruiting players.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 995
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

I don't think this is a shabby post. Its tough when I see a kid commit to a school when they would play right away for ISU. Marry comes to mind when I think about this---he would rather go to another school without the guarantee of a scholarship than come to a school that would allow him to play right away and with one of his friends from his high school (LJ).

Thumbs Up

Winning is a major key in getting top tier recruits. Then again tradition, coaches, academics, and the depth chart also play a role. Iowa State has the academics and depth chart card going for us right now but things will pick up when we start winning. As for ego maniacs go...I dont want any on this team. Do I want our players to be confident? Absolutely! Do I want our players to think that theyre better than the other guys? Of course! I want a team with swagger! But ego maniacs bring the impression that they are above the law and all human beings. Thats not what a football TEAM is made of.