Thread: Royals Fans

All-Star
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Royals Fans

I know there's a lot of cyclone fans who live in the KC area or have ties to it, so some of you care about this. How much longer does GM Dayton Moore have to turn the team around? A month ago I was defending him, but that was before we were five games out of fourth place. At the beginning of the season I had playoff hopes for the first time in a long time as did many other Royals fans, and we were in first at the end of April. But now look where we are. The only good things he's done as GM were signing Greinke to a 5(?) year deal, and finding Soria, but he hasn't made one good trade since he's been here, and we're back to where we were before he got here.

How much time does he have to turn the team around before KC needs to find a new GM?

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 9

Re: Royals Fans

The problem with KC is that they ALWAYS drop their best players because of $$$$! They are and always will be a small market team that is not willing to spend the money to get the players to turn that around. The shame is that Kaufman Stadium is a beautiful stadium and when KC was winning, the stadium was full and alive and there were some nights that people were turned away b/c the game was sold-out. Now, with KC back to their losing ways, I can go to the stadium the day of the game and buy a ticket directly behind a dugout or home plate with no problem.

The team must be willing to spend the $$ on big-name free agent players, or at least keep the players that are good and re-sign them to be able to be competitve.

So, the answer to your questions is: I don't know, it is really up to the owner to fork over $$ to be good.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89

The problem isn't that they don't spend money. The A's and Twins don't spend money either.

The problem is they waste money on guys they shouldn't be signing, like Guillen, Jacobs, Crisp, etc. They just need better management all around at this point.

Very disappointing year for Royals fans, mostly because I thought we could play .500 baseball.

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 517
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    The problem isn't that they don't spend money. The A's and Twins don't spend money either.

The problem is they waste money on guys they shouldn't be signing, like Guillen, Jacobs, Crisp, etc. They just need better management all around at this point.

Very disappointing year for Royals fans, mostly because I thought we could play .500 baseball.
    This is a fact. The Royals' team payroll is over 81 million acccording to ESPN which is 15 out of 30 teams. Minnesota (67m) is 23rd and Oakland (56m) is 27th.

It doesn't look like a spending issue.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

Just look at their payroll:

Kansas City Royals Salaries - MLB Baseball - ESPN

1. Jose Guillen - $12M .317 OBP/.371 SLG on DL since July 23rd
    2. Gil Meche - $11.4M 5-9/4.62 ERA just came off the DL
    3. Coco Crisp - $6.1M .336 OBP/.378 SLG out for the season
    4. Kyle Farnsworth - $4.3M 1-4/4.24 ERA on DL since June 25th
    5. Ron Mahay - $4M 1-1/4.61 ERA

Two of their top five paid players are RP (neither of which are very good). They traded an excellent AND cheap RP in Ramon Ramirez ($0.4M 6-3/2.29 ERA with Boston this year) for Crisp, who is expensive and now out for the season with shoulder surgery. Guillen is trouble in the club house, a chronic under-achiever, and now could be out 10 weeks from a knee strain he suffered while putting on his shin guard.

Doesn't exactly look like a recipe for success.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

injuries haven't helped the Royals any this year and all it's done is expose just how much of a mess the farm system is. Oh and trading for Jacobs has been a complete disaster.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 267

Quote Originally Posted by RayShimley View Post
    Just look at their payroll:

Kansas City Royals Salaries - MLB Baseball - ESPN

1. Jose Guillen - $12M .317 OBP/.371 SLG on DL since July 23rd
    2. Gil Meche - $11.4M 5-9/4.62 ERA just came off the DL
    3. Coco Crisp - $6.1M .336 OBP/.378 SLG out for the season
    4. Kyle Farnsworth - $4.3M 1-4/4.24 ERA on DL since June 25th
    5. Ron Mahay - $4M 1-1/4.61 ERA

Two of their top five paid players are RP (neither of which are very good). They traded an excellent AND cheap RP in Ramon Ramirez ($0.4M 6-3/2.29 ERA with Boston this year) for Crisp, who is expensive and now out for the season with shoulder surgery. Guillen is trouble in the club house, a chronic under-achiever, and now could be out 10 weeks from a knee strain he suffered while putting on his shin guard.

Doesn't exactly look like a recipe for success.

Maybe they need to build better talent through their farm system....

Coco Crisp and Kyle Farnsworth were definite bad deals. Kyle cannot even get the ball over the plate.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 432
    Given: 218

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post

Exactly! When you have low payroll you can't have management throwing away money... and you can't have a management that doesn't even attempt to understand statistics and use them to evaluate players!

Moore traded 2 prospects for the worst defensive shortstop in baseball who is under contract for years and owed millions. His moves at the major league level have been embrassingly bad. Personally I would like to see him gone after this year, but I bet he will be back for at least a couple more.

Just think about how bad the Royals are this year.... then realize they have been this bad with above average starting pitching. Heck, they have the AL ERA leader on staff, and they have a losing record when he starts! That is amazingly bad.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think they are trying to win, but the offseason deals they just did were huge busts! They dealt good middle relief to upgrade bats, and it just hasn't worked out. If they just would have kept their stable of guys, they would probably be a much better team this year. That, and they have not been a healthy team much of the year. Gordon, Aviles, Guillen and Crisp were supposed to be four of the top five or six guys in their lineup, and have been out all or much of the year...

Walk On
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think it is too hard to make a decision either way on Moore as he has drafted high school players in the first round the last couple years and they obviously take longer to develop than college players.

If Moustakas and Hosmer dont end up in the majors within a couple years then I know Moore has failed but at the same time I am not sure if he should be allowed to stick around that long based on the arguments above on the money wasted on the veteran players he has signed the last couple years.

I did like the Crisp signing though and he was playing well before he hurt his shoulder and seemed to be a good leader in the clubhouse. However Jacobs is getting paid too much and Guillen is a cancer if the team isnt winning (which is all the damn time). Dont even get me started on Farnsworth though...

Thumbs Up

I think that Moore will have next season and that might be it for him. People like to talk about $$ but, as some of you have pointed out, the Royals have spent a lot of money this season. In the past, that certainly was not the case. It is up to Moore to start spending that money wisely. Thus far, he hasn't done a very good job of that.

In his defense I will say this, in order to get a player to come to a smaller market, losing team like the Royals he has had to overpay players. We've seen that recently with guys like Guillen and Meche.

We Royals fans have been extremely patient with Moore and the organization but, that's been wearing thin lately. The team had been progressing steadily during his tenure but have regressed this season. Especially after that 18-11 start most fans seemed to be expecting (like myself) at least a .500 season. They are now 25 games under. That is unacceptable. I talk to a lot more angry fans now than the apathy that was so common in recent years.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think he has a couple more years. They just need to stop signing players that EVERYONE else says doesn't has what is takes, but somehow the Royals see some potential. For instance, Guillen, Davies, Betancourt, and Farsnworth. Also, they shouldn't invest so much money in players that are past their prime like Guillen.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 19

Royals > Cubs