Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Why I don't watch NBA games???

Must be just me but has the NBA "Bad Boys" turned you off of the Pro league?
    It seems even my role models from ISU past teams like to get involved in all the off court crap............

"In October Jamaal Tinsley was involved in an incident where Stephen Jackson had fired shots in his defense. Jackson was with some of his teammates including Tinsley, Marquis Daniels, and Jimmie Hunter. Both Tinsley and Jackson had gun permits. Later, a small amount of marijuana was found in Tinsley's car, but it was found in the passenger's seat"

Now this.............................

http://www.topix.net/content/ap/2837...VBCPPTKL87PP67

all alleged of course, I travel all over and over the years have been in alot of major NBA towns. I have bought tickets for Pacers (to see Jamaal play) Hoiberg and even Hornacek when he was at Utah and Suns........no more, the "Bad Boys" have turned this fanatic off...............

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 397

Re: Why I don't watch NBA games???

For me it's the "new" style of play:

No defense.
    1 on 1 offense.
    Games have no meaning until the playoffs.

The one exception is Phoenix. Those guys actually play as a team (but still don't play defense).

Addict
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,306
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 43

You take the good with the bad, but I love the NBA. It's nice to see that much talent and a cleaner game than college. You don't get the excitement or as much joy as you would when ISU does something special, but its close.

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I agree. I was a big NBA fan until the strike back in 1998/1999. I couldn't get over the greed on the part of the players. To hear Latrell Sprewell say that he can't feed his family on $3 million a year.......give me a flippin' break.

Frankly, I think the NBA is just sad. How long is the career of an NBA player? I am not talking about the Iversons, Kobes and Lebrons, I am referring to the Marcus Fizers, Speedy Claxsons and others. Highly touted college players who skip remainig eligibility to "make the big bucks" in the NBA only to be bounced out the league in 3 years. No college degree and a slew of other people dipping into your pocket for money.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The NBA is only slightly more exciting than soccer....

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    For me it's the "new" style of play:

No defense.
    1 on 1 offense.
    Games have no meaning until the playoffs.

The one exception is Phoenix. Those guys actually play as a team (but still don't play defense).
    You are actually quite wrong on this cycloneworld. If you go look at teams pionts per game in the 70's and 80's they scored a lot more points than they score today. I know the Lakers in the 70's averaged 120 + points a game. That is 20 points more a game than the Suns and we think they score a ridiculous amount of points. There was absolutely no D played back in the day.

Also how do games have no meanings until the playoffs? How do you get in the playoffs if the regular season games mean nothing to you? You cant. I will agree that an NBA bball game doesn't start til the second half however

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Cybone View Post
    I agree. I was a big NBA fan until the strike back in 1998/1999. I couldn't get over the greed on the part of the players. To hear Latrell Sprewell say that he can't feed his family on $3 million a year.......give me a flippin' break.

While Latrell was off the wall, the point the players were making was like any other professional league. The players deserve a larger cut of the money than they were receiving compared to the owners - this arguement is constant and many times it is probably true. Owners don't become the millionaires/billionaires they are by throwing money away.

In response to an earlier comment, the NBA has been trying to handcuff defenders in recent years, much the way the NFL has, to promote more scoring. The defenses were MUCH more dominant, and more physical 5-10 seasons ago (see NY/Maimi series). College players get away with a lot more hand checking than the NBA guards could ever imagine.

I will conceed one point - Shaq is a joke of his old self and he is still getting calls while blatantly charging. Scott Pollard got the bad end of 3 horrible calls a few nights ago - must be the blond mohawk and "clean chin goatee" (what the heck is that on his neck anyway?)

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 397

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    You are actually quite wrong on this cycloneworld. If you go look at teams pionts per game in the 70's and 80's they scored a lot more points than they score today. I know the Lakers in the 70's averaged 120 + points a game. That is 20 points more a game than the Suns and we think they score a ridiculous amount of points. There was absolutely no D played back in the day.

Also how do games have no meanings until the playoffs? How do you get in the playoffs if the regular season games mean nothing to you? You cant. I will agree that an NBA bball game doesn't start til the second half however
    Watch an NBA game and tell me the level of defense you see on the court. Maybe the difference between now and then is the quality of players. I think the overall quality of players in the league doesn't even compare to the Jordan days. Athleticism may be up but athleticism doesn't win basketball games...see the US Teams vs. the rest of the world.

Teams with sub-.500 records will be in the playoffs this year. People complain about the # of bowl games in college but the NBA is just as bad. 1/2 of the teams in the league will be in the playoffs this year.

Oh yeah...and the playoffs take 2 months to play.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 144

I haven't watched an NBA game in many years because of all the ego's that are involved in the game. The only games I have watched during that time is the Suns to watch that guard(don't even remember his name, white and shoulder length hair the last time I watched) because it at least appears as if there is a sense of team effort on that team.

I find NBA basketball just a tad bit more interesting then underwater basketweaving on the Discovery channel.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 632
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

I love the NBA. It's not as good as NCAA basketball but it's still enjoyable to watch. The bulls/suns game last night was great!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    Watch an NBA game and tell me the level of defense you see on the court. Maybe the difference between now and then is the quality of players. I think the overall quality of players in the league doesn't even compare to the Jordan days. Athleticism may be up but athleticism doesn't win basketball games...see the US Teams vs. the rest of the world.
    Teams with sub-.500 records will be in the playoffs this year. People complain about the # of bowl games in college but the NBA is just as bad. 1/2 of the teams in the league will be in the playoffs this year.

Oh yeah...and the playoffs take 2 months to play.
    That has a lot more to do with the quality of play out of the rest of the world than it does our players getting worse. The Argentina team that won the last go round has 5 NBA players on the roster.

Too many teams make the playoffs - TRUE
    Too many teams get bowl games - TRUE
    NBA playoff games and college bowl games bring in a TON of cash - TRUE

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acrozier22 View Post
    I love the NBA. It's not as good as NCAA basketball but it's still enjoyable to watch. The bulls/suns game last night was great!
    Did I see Jalen Rose on the suns?!?! They have such a good thing going, I don't know why they'd want to add a bad apple like him - here's to hoping the other players can keep him in line.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 9

I think it says something when the USA "all-star" team gets whooped by international teams.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    I haven't watched an NBA game in many years because of all the ego's that are involved in the game. The only games I have watched during that time is the Suns to watch that guard(don't even remember his name, white and shoulder length hair the last time I watched) because it at least appears as if there is a sense of team effort on that team.

I find NBA basketball just a tad bit more interesting then underwater basketweaving on the Discovery channel.
    I actually watch alot of NBA bball. Watched the Lakers/Cavs game yesterday (by the way anyone who doesn't think Kobe is the best in league doesn't watch anything but Sportscenter, b/c if you watch this game he is on a whole different level than anyone else) and the help defense was very good. Much better than in the 80's. Everytime the Cavs set a screen for Lebron someone was there to pick him up. They absolutely shut him down.

As for the playoffs thing. I am guessing your a huge Jordan guy and has thought the NBA has sucked since he is gone. Well the same amount of teams made in back than as they do know so that point is mute. The NBA has so many good stars in the league right now it is fun to watch. Not just one star who really had nobody else to go up against

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    I think it says something when the USA "all-star" team gets whooped by international teams.
    The NBA is addressing the issue. A lot of the other teams practice together year-round as the "national team" for their country. In the past the US has been able to throw all-stars at it and win, because the other countries were still learning the game (we had a big head start on everybody). The current US team is made up of much younger NBA players and the sign up was (I believe) for a minumum of a 6 year commitment. The addition time together is already reaping benifits - this team looks to again be the favorite in the next olympics.