Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 42

next year

I don't understand all of the talk about next year. There are some guys saying the clones will conitue to stink, others think the will show huge improvement. I am not really sure what to think other than this:

Basketball is nothing like football: If a couple of the recruits plus Thompson are very good, the team will be very good. If they are not , then the Clones will continue to struggle. It just doesn't take a lot of contributors to change a BB team from bad to good. With a very good point guard the current team would have 4-5 more wins and we would be thinking NCAAs. A good point and another physical post player and this team would be very good. If we had one 5 star guy in FB, you would notice him, but I am not sure that the team would win many more games.

Lets wait and see what happens.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,525
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 64

Re: next year

Next year will answer the questions some have about this team. With that being said, this year we have players that are in positions that are not their strengths because we have who we have. For example, we have one true center(and he just started showing up the beginning of conference play), Cory Johnson, Marsden, and Gray are more suited the the forward/strong forward position but are forced the give Jiri rest putting a forward usually going against the other teams banger post player. You can look at our points in the paint and see that. Next year we get Brackins and Alex Thompson. Watching Thompson in Summer leagues last year, I can tell you he will be a force down low or will compliment the Center in a power forward position. That will be huge improvement.

We really don't have anyone right now who is a true point guard. You can see this by all the turnovers we have. Maybe as the season progresses and the offseason brings Taylor, McIntosh, or Dunson will bring them to that level, or maybe an incoming recruit will take over the position making the other guards more dangerous playing their natural abilitys.

I think the players we have now are making some good strides in improvement for a couple games, then back a few notches in other games. Going through this will strengthen some of their weaknesses and make them better players. I am going to enjoy watching them play hopefully a bunch of games with steady improvement and hope the bad games get fewer and not as extreme as we have seen in the Mizzu game last week.

Addict
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

Let's not forget that GMac is brand new too and it takes a while for players to learn the new coaches system. Gmac's system is also as different from Wayne Morgan's as you get.

Generally I've been pleased with their defensive play, but the offense has what's been hurting us. A year ago we were saying the opposite.

Good points. Next year we have brand new players and it won't take as many of them to impact the team. We need a true point guard and a true center. If we get both of those tools, it could be a fun year.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

I think next year is about Thompson and Garrett. Brakins will definately be a factor, but I don't think we can ask a freshman to come in and bump and grind with Big 12 front court players. Thompson on the otherhand will be a 4th year Jr. with a year of conditioning and experience. No matter how much strength Hubalek adds, I don't think he will ever be a great post player. He has some great offensive moves, but he just doesn't like contact. Has he ever taken a charge? I have lots of confidence in Cory J. however. But the real key has to be the guard play. That is what matters most in college Bball. We need a PG to emerge from Dunson, Garrett, McIntosh or Boozer

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,687
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 100

I just hope Garrett can live up to the hype. If he can be the same type of player Blaylock was his freshmen year I think he'll be alright. I wouldn't mind seeing Dunson add some more ballhandling and passing skills to his skill set either in case Garrett isn't quite up to the job. McIntosh is who he is, and while he might improve his own skills in the offseason, I think he is still too small to really be much of an impact player in the Big 12. That being said I hope he sticks around to be a good reserve off the bench and give our starters a break every once in a while.