Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 12,917, Level: 34
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mkcrawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    632
    Points
    12,917
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 51

    O.T. Another DirecTV Question

    I thought I saw a thread on here about DirecTV and there was a posting about how to record one show while watching another on the same TV. I'm sure it was either here or on the DirecTV website...but I'm starting here.

    Appreciate the help.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 93,595, Level: 95
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Posts
    6,203
    Points
    93,595
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

    Re: O.T. Another DirecTV Question

    Well I don't have direct TV but it can't be much different than mine with mediacom. All I do is tell the DVR to record whatever channel I want, then I change the channel to watch something else.

    Or I can tell it to record two things at once and watch something I have already recorded.

    It could be that your DVR is not a dual tuner model, I am not familiar with their different dvrs but if you post a model number I am sure someone will have a answer for you



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 80,935, Level: 88
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,473
    Points
    80,935
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: O.T. Another DirecTV Question

    Just highlight the show you want to record in the program guide, and hit the 'rec" button on the remote.

    Then change the channel to whatever show you want to watch.

    Or you can just be watching the show you want to record, hit the "rec" button and then change the channel to the other show.

    If you hit "Rec" twice, it will record a whole series.

    If you hit it a third time, it will cancel the recording.


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 180,393, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Aclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Posts
    12,890
    Points
    180,393
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 722

    Re: O.T. Another DirecTV Question

    The thread you saw was about DISH, not DirecTV, but I assume that you have the answers you sought.




    Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)


  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 84,629, Level: 90
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 921
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,825
    Points
    84,629
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 185

    Re: O.T. Another DirecTV Question

    Just need a DVR with 2 separate cables running into the back. One for each show you want to watch.

    While were on the subject of DirecTv, has does anyone have one of these?
    DIRECTV - Sat-Go Portable Satellite TV Receiver with 17" LCD Screen - Z11

    Looks ideal for tailgating. We have an extra dish we can use, but that, moving a box and findng a power source looks like too big of a hassle.


    #BEATIOWA

  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 80,935, Level: 88
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,473
    Points
    80,935
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: O.T. Another DirecTV Question

    Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    Just need a DVR with 2 separate cables running into the back. One for each show you want to watch.

    While were on the subject of DirecTv, has does anyone have one of these?
    DIRECTV - Sat-Go Portable Satellite TV Receiver with 17" LCD Screen - Z11

    Looks ideal for tailgating. We have an extra dish we can use, but that, moving a box and findng a power source looks like too big of a hassle.
    Looks pretty slick, though sort of small for tailgating.

    Plus it's pretty spendy.


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 40,417, Level: 62
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,233
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    3GenClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights
    Posts
    2,152
    Points
    40,417
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 158

    Re: O.T. Another DirecTV Question

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Looks pretty slick, though sort of small for tailgating.

    Plus it's pretty spendy.
    Not bad, it's got component-out so you could get a pretty good picture if you connected to a larger monitor/tv. I just want to know what you would have to pay for service, since you would really only use it for tailgating.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 80,935, Level: 88
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,473
    Points
    80,935
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: O.T. Another DirecTV Question

    Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    Not bad, it's got component-out so you could get a pretty good picture if you connected to a larger monitor/tv. I just want to know what you would have to pay for service, since you would really only use it for tailgating.
    5 bucks a month during tailgating season. Then just shut it off the rest of the year.

    That's what I do. I wouldn't go out of my way to tell them that the receiver isn't exclusively for use in your house though...


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 12,917, Level: 34
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    mkcrawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    632
    Points
    12,917
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 51

    Re: O.T. Another DirecTV Question

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Just highlight the show you want to record in the program guide, and hit the 'rec" button on the remote.

    Then change the channel to whatever show you want to watch.

    Or you can just be watching the show you want to record, hit the "rec" button and then change the channel to the other show.

    If you hit "Rec" twice, it will record a whole series.

    If you hit it a third time, it will cancel the recording.
    Tried that, but I get a message on the screen that DirecTV is about to record a program and my options are a) cancel the recording or b) keep recording and switch to that channel. It won't let me just switch to another channel. I thought I read somewhere something about needs another coax cable from my DVR to my TV, but that's what I'm trying to confirm.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 93,595, Level: 95
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cytech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hiawatha, Iowa
    Posts
    6,203
    Points
    93,595
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 7

    Re: O.T. Another DirecTV Question

    You need to select option B. That is just confirming you want to change the channel so keep recording and switch channel means that the program you were watching will continue to record after you change the channel



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 80,935, Level: 88
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,473
    Points
    80,935
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: O.T. Another DirecTV Question

    Quote Originally Posted by mkcrawford View Post
    Tried that, but I get a message on the screen that DirecTV is about to record a program and my options are a) cancel the recording or b) keep recording and switch to that channel. It won't let me just switch to another channel. I thought I read somewhere something about needs another coax cable from my DVR to my TV, but that's what I'm trying to confirm.
    Sounds like you only have one tuner turned on.
    Can you confirm you have two coax cables from the DVR to the satellite dish/multiswitch?

    If you do, then you need to make sure you've enabled both tuners in the menu options. It should only prompt you if you've got two programs recording at once and you want to change to a channel that isn't either of the ones that are being recorded.


    "Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM