Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School Supplies

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

School Supplies

My daughter starts kindergarten this year. For the first time, I'm looking at the gigantic list of supplies we're supposed to send with her. Anybody have any suggestions on where the cheapest place is to get all this stuff? Any suggestions on what to buy or not buy?

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 68

Re: School Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    My daughter starts kindergarten this year. For the first time, I'm looking at the gigantic list of supplies we're supposed to send with her. Anybody have any suggestions on where the cheapest place is to get all this stuff? Any suggestions on what to buy or not buy?
    Won't help you this year, but you can keep the lists of school supplies for future years of all grades...most of the time these don't change much from year to year. Staples and places like that will often have crazy back to school sales earlier in the summer, so you can get much of what you need very cheap then and fill in with the rest when the official list comes out. Other than that check adds for k-mart, wal-mart, target and compare prices...good luck!

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490

Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    These supply lists have gotten WAY out of hand IMO. On my 4th grade daughter's list this year was 2 boxes of dry erase markers and 2 packages of post-it note pads. Kids never use these things in elementary school. These are teacher supplies... not student supplies.

And of course... I can't wait for the school fundraisers that my kids will be bringing home once a month to sell candy and magazines for the school. My property taxes already went up again this year, so I don't think I'll be sending any of these fundraisers back. They got enough of my money.

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    These supply lists have gotten WAY out of hand IMO. On my 4th grade daughter's list this year was 2 boxes of dry erase markers and 2 packages of post-it note pads. Kids never use these things in elementary school. These are teacher supplies... not student supplies.

And of course... I can't wait for the school fundraisers that my kids will be bringing home once a month to sell candy and magazines for the school. My property taxes already went up again this year, so I don't think I'll be sending any of these fundraisers back. They got enough of my money.
    That's the spirit! I know when my son's teacher asks for help for supplies to teach my son I'll tell her where she can stick it! Either that or I'll help out since she's the one teaching my son, I haven't decided yet.

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490

Quote Originally Posted by richey24 View Post
    That's the spirit! I know when my son's teacher asks for help for supplies to teach my son I'll tell her where she can stick it! Either that or I'll help out since she's the one teaching my son, I haven't decided yet.
    Teachers should be provided these things from the school. If the teacher has a problem with their supplies, they should complain to the principal.

And why do my kids have to run around the neighborhood on a monthly basis and be door-to-door salesmen to raise money for the school?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

Teachers should be provided these things from the school. If the teacher has a problem with their supplies, they should complain to the principal.

And why do my kids have to run around the neighborhood on a monthly basis and be door-to-door salesmen to raise money for the school?
    No one is forcing them to do it. I sold crap for school from 5th to my senior year of high school because I went to a private school. No one forced me to sell anything.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Hopefully there's a way to track who the cheap parents are that won't help out the teachers or the school so their kids can get a lesser education, seems only fair. It'd be hard since some legitimately can't afford it, but for those that can and choose not to there should be some kind of consequence.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 2

Teachers generally buy a lot of this stuff out of their pocket. I'm happy to help them out. We're lucky that our school doesn't do magazine/candy fundraisers. They have one fundraiser a year, which is a school carnival, and we have no problem dropping $40 on that, since it saves the headache of selling crap.

We get the Sunday circulars and cross-check them with the school supply lists, and go to where the best deals are. We start early, and pick and choose the best places for the best deals. Here in the Twin Cities, we have a lot of options, but most places have Target, Walgreens, an office store, etc. to compare and choose.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by richey24 View Post
    Hopefully there's a way to track who the cheap parents are that won't help out the teachers or the school so their kids can get a lesser education, seems only fair.
    That's not the point.

The point is, if it costs x number of dollars to run a school, and the taxpayers are paying x number of dollars, the school should be operable without levying an additional tax on every student that walks in the door.

I don't have a problem paying taxes - especially ones I know about. I do have a problem paying hidden taxes for things that I should already be paying for.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when its good, its the best." - woot.com

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    That's not the point.

The point is, if it costs x number of dollars to run a school, and the taxpayers are paying x number of dollars, the school should be operable without levying an additional tax on every student that walks in the door.

I don't have a problem paying taxes - especially ones I know about. I do have a problem paying hidden taxes for things that I should already be paying for.
    Then they need to raise taxes because there are a lot of schools running on a budget not large enough to be a suitable educational environment.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

In an ideal world, that would be the case. The reality is that teachers ended up having to pay for supplies (sometimes) out of their own pocket.

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 68

I am a teacher and get a flat amount of money to buy school supplies each year that doesn't begin to cover it. The school decides what is put in the school supplies list for the kids each year and bottom line is that there are a lot of things that we need but we can't possibly buy with the amount we are given...

Also, there are kids every year that come without ANY school supplies and have a rough home life. I get extra supplies beforehand for these situations so that the student doesn't get singled out as not being able to afford school supplies. The amount of money that teachers spend out of pocket for things that they need but aren't provided for them is crazy. If you're able to get the supplies on the list at least this helps some, but I understand that not everybody can afford everything also.

As for the fundraisers, I hate them probably as much or more than you do. I think that a lot of times the school doesn't know when to say no to a good cause, but it always turns into a competition with the classes and they end up bringing in good money for good causes. I am kind of torn because I think that we do far too many of them, but on the other hand there are good causes that benefit and many students are taught a lot about generosity in the process. I had a student last year that caused a lot of problems early on in the year. Towards the end of the year we had a fundraiser for juvenile diabetes, and after hearing the talk about it he brought $100 of his birthday money in and donated it to the cause. After calling his parents and telling them we thought it was too much, they insisted that he really wanted to help out and had been excited to use his own money towards it. That to me made the hassle of all the fundraisers worth it...

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Then they need to raise taxes because there are a lot of schools running on a budget not large enough to be a suitable educational environment.
    Well then they need to either cut their budget, or raise taxes.

Plain and simple. And if the taxpayers say no to taxes, there is only one other option.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when its good, its the best." - woot.com

Pro Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I can't complain too much about my kid's school supplies. It looks like it's all stuff she'll use; there's just a lot of it. Although I wonder why I have to buy glue sticks instead of a glue bottle, and why I have to send a pair of scissors (the schools always provided safety scissors when I was in elementary).

I'm definitely not looking forward to the fundraising. My kid was in the public preschool last year, and she had class pictures taken twice, and came home with probably three or four fundraisers. I'd rather just send the school a check instead of dealing with fundraisers.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Well then they need to either cut their budget, or raise taxes.

Plain and simple. And if the taxpayers say no to taxes, there is only one other option.
    So you'd rather pay more random taxes as opposed to giving money or supplies directly to your child's teacher?