Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 2

Baby Planning

Closing on a new house this fall, and since we're getting all settled in, what can I expect for costs on a new baby? Just trying to get finances as set up as possible and look out for unexpected costs I know I can't plan for.
    Per Month:
    1) Diapers $20 -$100 depending on cloth versus disposable
    2) Food at 9 months or so, $60-$80?
    3) Insurance costs of course
    4) Toys

Anything else, outside of the initial purchase for all of the baby stuff as far as on-going expenses for the first few years?

Some tax benefits as well eh?

Walk On
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Re: Baby Planning

Have your wife breast feed as long as possible(if able) and get a breast pump. That will save you a lot of money and it is better for the baby. Formula is really expensive.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 741
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by CyKline View Post
    Have your wife breast feed as long as possible(if able) and get a breast pump. That will save you a lot of money and it is better for the baby. Formula is really expensive.
    This. We have #3 coming in November. Formula and baby food is expensive so are diapers. And you'll go through a ton of diapers with the newborn. It's a bit late this year but I would suggest that you garage sale in the spring. we've bought a ton of toys and baby stuff that way for next to nothing. Our basement looks like a daycare. But invest in good stuff if you are going to have others because some of hte cheap stuff falls apart quickly. resist the urge to buy a pink matching high chair, pack in play, crib etc. Buy nuetral colors and accent them with the pink/blue of your choice. We bought a solid crib, changing table and dresser almost 6 years ago with our oldest, all white. 6 years later, and two moves it all looks as good as ever and is ready for baby #3.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Addict
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,189
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Yeah, well, I dont' think you can really plan it all out. There are so many variables.

Medical expenses for checkups and immunizations.

Biggest suggestion I have is to buy clothes used or get hand-me-downs. Garage sales. Salvation army. Anywhere. Baby clothes are freaking expensive and are rarely worn more than a few times.

I love the zip up onesies. They are way quicker than the snap or button ones.

We use Costco formula, which is literally 1/4 as much as the name brand stuff, and the pediatrician said it's just as good. Breast feeding is better, of course, but if it doesn't work out for whatever reason, formula can run you 80-100 dollars a month pretty easily.

If there's no problem with milk supply, a deep freezer is awful nice to store breast milk in.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Prospect
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

sounds like one of you are stay at home - so daycare isn't needed. just fyi that can run from $100-$250 a week(for infants), gets a little cheaper as they get older.
    try to get a car seat that handles as many phases as possible.

and like others said - do breast milk, garage sale for toys/clothes - they grow out of them so fast.

try to resist the urge to ever go to the ER except for emergencies - our daughter got hand-mouth disease - she had a temp of 103 and my wife was dead set on taking her to the doc, but it was sunday at 8 pm, so basically we spent $300 some odd dollars to get a tylenol sepository.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

Best way to budget for a newborn is not to have one.

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,220
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 15

I would take the toys off the list. That is what Grandparents are for. We have a 3 year old and now a 6 week old, and enough toys to open an FAO Schwartz.
    I echo the sentiment about picking up as much as you can at garage sales, especially for when they are really small. They grow out of clothes so fast, so there us usually very little wear.

Addict
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,189
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by hawkknight90 View Post
    sounds like one of you are stay at home - so daycare isn't needed. just fyi that can run from $100-$250 a week(for infants), gets a little cheaper as they get older.
    try to get a car seat that handles as many phases as possible.

and like others said - do breast milk, garage sale for toys/clothes - they grow out of them so fast.

try to resist the urge to ever go to the ER except for emergencies - our daughter got hand-mouth disease - she had a temp of 103 and my wife was dead set on taking her to the doc, but it was sunday at 8 pm, so basically we spent $300 some odd dollars to get a tylenol sepository.
    I'll sort of counter the "resist the urge to go to the ER".

If you feel that you need to go to the ER, do it. Eventually you'll figure out that not every bump and bruise requires immediate medical attention, but it's well worth the peace of mind knowing that you did what you felt was right and not second guessing yourself. Think about how awful you would feel if something serious went wrong and you didn't seek treatment for it.

Depending on your insurance, it might not be all that expensive. Our last ER trip cost 30 bucks out of our pocket.

At any rate, take advice from your pediatrician as well. Often they can get you in to see them without having to go to the ER.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 137

Don't by any "new" clothes the first 2 years. They grow too fast and they will wear only a couple times before it gets put away. Garage sales, Me and Mommy to be, and other second hand stores are good.
    I have a 3.5 and a 1 year old right now. Probably go through 6 diapers a day early on, maybe more. Now probably 4.
    1 year old eats like a horse even though she is tiny. Probably spend around $2.50/meal on her when she eats baby food, so make your own in bulk and freeze it when you can. Never had to use formula with our first, but have for the last2 months with the youngest and it adds another $20/week
    Use grandparents to babysit any chance you get, they love to do it and will even travel to do so, saves $20-40 a night that you want to go out.
    Oh, and the best investment you can make for sleep for your wife and happiness for you is a baby monitor with a motion sensor. You guys with kids know what I'm talking about when your wife is up 10 times/night to check and make sure baby is still breathing. Didn't have one with our first, got one for our second and highly recommend it to everyone because my wife slept so much better through the night, and that made my life a lot better.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm not sure of the health ramifications of it, but try to wait until you need the shots/medications to get them all at once if it is healthy to do so. For us each time we head in its $20. Save some money by getting things done in one trip.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh, and you'll want an extra base for your carseat rather than buying another seat. That way child can ride in either vehicle. Find a friend who had the same base and "borrow."

Legend
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 514

I have to add in that if calculating costs, girls traditionally cost twice as much to raise as boys. Fair warning.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,120
    Given: 588

Agree on the clothes thing. You can buy new, but there's a tendency to want to outfit them in the coolest duds, and it's not worth it.

Other than that, develop your budget and expect the unexpected. My little dude has had tubes in his ears three times, adnoids out, tonsils out, two eye surgeries and a broken arm. You figure out how to pay for it, because you have to. Oh, and it's worth every dime. There's nothing like having a child to get you focused and motivated to get up every morning and bring home the bacon.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 429
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 102

My wife gets lots of clothes from ebay (we live out in the boonies and don't get to many garage sales unless we drive a long way). She's gotten several lots of clothes, say 25 outfits for $30 or similar, for each of our three girls who range from 3 years to 4 months.

She also regsitered with different formula companies online and reported that she was going to breastfeed. The companies started sending her manufacturer coupons that she was able to sell on ebay. She was typically able to sell a coupon for 50-70% of the face value.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,618
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 19

Use hand me downs for everything (as many others have mentioned), you will have a huge wardrobe at very little cost. Formula can ger real expensive. Our son was ok as far as allergies go and we were able to use wal-mart brand formula. The cost was about half of Similac and you got almost double the product. My daughter on the other hand cried all day because of the formula. (we did not know the reason why at first) There was a couple of days where she literally cried for 13 hours from about 1 PM until 2 AM, that was not fun. We started buying her allimentum (sp) from Similac. This was very expensive but she stopped crying within an hour. (my wife had issues with breast feeding, do that if you can!)

We also use Wal-Mart diapers instead of name brand. No leaks and is much cheaper than name brands. (are you sensing a theme? name brand does not necessarily mean much better quality!)

Get them to table food asap, we used very little baby food for our kids. If you are going to buy anything, books are a great investment. This is educational and the kids love the colors and pictures. You will be able to teach your child so much just by sitting with them and reading the books to them and with them. On top of that it is a great time to bond with your kids. Oh and you can go to half-price books and save a ton of money.