Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: YO JOE!

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 130,833, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    michaelrr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    5,795
    Points
    130,833
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 99

    YO JOE!

    I went to the GI Joe movie after work today. I thought it was a great movie, definitely much better than I expected. Lots of action and I enjoyed the history of the characters.


    *** OFFICIAL 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC BIG 12 ELIMINATION COMPETITION CO-CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASKETBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011, 2012, 2013 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION ***
    *** OFFICIAL 2011 and 2012 CYCLONE FANATIC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION ***



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 211,467, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CyDude16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Heads in the sky
    Posts
    9,671
    Points
    211,467
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 285
    Given: 1,083

    Re: YO JOE!

    not gonna lie, it looks terrible....maybe ill rent it, but no way am i spending 9 bucks to go see it.



  3. #3
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 605,946, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,603
    Points
    605,946
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,502
    Given: 139

    Re: YO JOE!

    I went and saw it this evening. Just got back, actually. We got a group of guys together to go relive our childhoods. Well, let's just say that it's true when they say "you are only young once." This was a terrible, terrible film. Corny, cheesy, cliched, simple, scientifically innaccurate.... these terms are all apt. This is not the GI Joe of your childhood. It's a weak, bastardization of the toys/cartoon that are held dear by so many.

    Just wanted to let people know.

    ...Because knowing is half the battle....


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  4. #4
    Pro LeSchmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,022
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: YO JOE!

    Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    not gonna lie, it looks terrible....maybe ill rent it, but no way am i spending 9 bucks to go see it.
    Cobblestone is only 6.50, just so you know.


    @LeSchmick

    XBox Live: Le Schmick

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 113,698, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,396
    Points
    113,698
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 168

    Re: YO JOE!

    Quote Originally Posted by jdewaard View Post
    I went and saw it this evening. Just got back, actually. We got a group of guys together to go relive our childhoods. Well, let's just say that it's true when they say "you are only young once." This was a terrible, terrible film. Corny, cheesy, cliched, simple, scientifically innaccurate.... these terms are all apt. This is not the GI Joe of your childhood. It's a weak, bastardization of the toys/cartoon that are held dear by so many.

    Just wanted to let people know.

    ...Because knowing is half the battle....
    Thanks Sgt. Slaughter



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 45,907, Level: 66
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    3,797
    Points
    45,907
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 16

    Re: YO JOE!

    NSFW- Do a youtube search for "GI Joe PSA spoofs" sometime, the pork chop sandwich one is my favorite.


    "It is the nature of man to rise to greatness if greatness is expected of him."
    John Steinbeck

    XBOXLive: MNclone
    PS3: JHudd23
    Twitter: JasonAH

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 43,938, Level: 64
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Bewilderme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,568
    Points
    43,938
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 108

    Re: YO JOE!

    Who wants a BODY MASSAGE? body massage.


    'Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius-and a lot of courage-to move in the opposite direction.'
    -Einstein

  8. #8
    Starter
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    897
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: YO JOE!

    I'll just say that there had to be a reason why they ddnt screen it for reviewers early.



  9. #9
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: YO JOE!

    Hey, kids. I'm a computer. Stop all the downloadin'


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 95,637, Level: 96
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,413
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUChippewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,152
    Points
    95,637
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 141

    Re: YO JOE!

    I saw it yesterday afternoon. Not going to win any Oscars, but I thought it was good, dumb, summer fun, definitely a good popcorn flick....yeah, probably no basis in reality, but for crying out loud, it's a movie based on a KID'S TOY! For those people who didn't like it because it's not realistic, did you honestly expect it to be like your average war movie?

    I thought they did a good job of telling the character's backstories and linking the characters together, plus the two female lead characters are smokin' hot.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 16,934, Level: 39
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    MaxPower57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    924
    Points
    16,934
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: YO JOE!

    Get off my ice!
    Are you my dad?
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!


    --------------------------------------
    “Max Power—he's the man whose name you'd love to touch...
    But, you musn't touch!
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you say it, you mustn't fear
    Because his name can be said by anyone!”

  12. #12
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 605,946, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,603
    Points
    605,946
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,502
    Given: 139

    Re: YO JOE!

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    I saw it yesterday afternoon. Not going to win any Oscars, but I thought it was good, dumb, summer fun, definitely a good popcorn flick....yeah, probably no basis in reality, but for crying out loud, it's a movie based on a KID'S TOY! For those people who didn't like it because it's not realistic, did you honestly expect it to be like your average war movie?

    I thought they did a good job of telling the character's backstories and linking the characters together, plus the two female lead characters are smokin' hot.
    I have no problem with movies that are not based in reality, but there was one particular scene that was really cringe worthy. I'm referring to the scene where Cobra attempts to destroy their own underwater, Arctic, base, by blowing up the Ice cap at the surface, and the JOES narrowly escape as the base explodes amidst a cascade of huge, sinking ice chunks.

    Anyone who has ever had a glass of ice water will know that ice cubes don't exactly come crashing down to the bottom of the glass, like the movie would have you believe. In fact, they do the opposite. They tend to float. Not exactly the best method of destroying an underwater base.

    This is just poor, poor screenwriting and sloppy moviemaking.


    However, I will totally concede that both Scarlet and the Baroness were smokin' hot.


    Last edited by Angie; 08-11-2009 at 08:51 AM.
    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 36,387, Level: 58
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    cyman1189's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,659
    Points
    36,387
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

    Re: YO JOE!

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower57 View Post
    Get off my ice!
    Are you my dad?
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!
    give him the stick! GIVE HIM THE STICK!!!! DONT GIVE HIM THE STICK!!!!!!!!!!



  14. #14
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 605,946, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,603
    Points
    605,946
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,502
    Given: 139

    Re: YO JOE!

    Quote Originally Posted by cyman1189 View Post
    give him the stick! GIVE HIM THE STICK!!!! DONT GIVE HIM THE STICK!!!!!!!!!!
    That one and the "Yo kid, I'm a computer. Stop all the downloadin!" one are my favorite, followed up closely by pork chop sandwiches.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 59,397, Level: 75
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    League City, TX
    Posts
    2,900
    Points
    59,397
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: YO JOE!

    My personal favorite is because of the simplicity.

    Kid standing at the tip of a cliff over the ocean. Rock breaks, kid falls...

    SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII...



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM