Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 18,454, Level: 41
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    zumbro clones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern Minnesota
    Posts
    1,449
    Points
    18,454
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    OK. So I'm coming back from St Louis yesterday along Hwy 218 and the kids need to stop. We find a Casey's in tiny Donnellson, IA and see that it has ISU posters plastered to the left side of the entrance. I thought this was cool and got me thinking...what if Cyclone Fanatic kept track of businesses that promoted ISU? We could keep a log of businesses that clearly promote the Cyclones and steer other Fanatics there.

    What do you think?



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 181,216, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,959
    Points
    181,216
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 122

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    Good idea and I'll start with Hooters I've become a bigger fan since the UNLV game even though their food didn't sit too well with me the next day.



  3. #3
    All-Star egami's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    1,944
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    Quote Originally Posted by zumbro clones View Post
    OK. So I'm coming back from St Louis yesterday along Hwy 218 and the kids need to stop. We find a Casey's in tiny Donnellson, IA and see that it has ISU posters plastered to the left side of the entrance. I thought this was cool and got me thinking...what if Cyclone Fanatic kept track of businesses that promoted ISU? We could keep a log of businesses that clearly promote the Cyclones and steer other Fanatics there.

    What do you think?
    Wow, Donnellson...haven't been through there for years. In fact, the last time I was 218 went through down town and the Avenue of the Saints wasn't developed yet.

    That's Hawk country, btw...Central Lee Hawks. ;)



  4. #4
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    Frankly, I find the entire idea of going to or using places just because they support a school to be extremely dumb and short sighted.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 18,454, Level: 41
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    zumbro clones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern Minnesota
    Posts
    1,449
    Points
    18,454
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    Quote Originally Posted by egami View Post
    Wow, Donnellson...haven't been through there for years. In fact, the last time I was 218 went through down town and the Avenue of the Saints wasn't developed yet.

    That's Hawk country, btw...Central Lee Hawks. ;)
    That's why I was doubly impressed!



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 59,097, Level: 75
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 953
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    djcubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    2,892
    Points
    59,097
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 86

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    I only eat at Pancheros and buy my gas from Kum & Go



  7. #7
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    Frankly, I find the entire idea of going to or using places just because they support a school to be extremely dumb and short sighted.
    That's nice.


    OP - I think it's a solid idea. Businesses donate money to various enterprises because they expect that money to come back to them in additional business. Anything to promote that and draw more $$$ to ISU is a great thing.

    Particularly when you consider restaurants or bars. Every fall/winter, there are dozens of threads looking for places that are Clone-friendly.

    Of course, any of this only does good if you tell them you stopped in because you saw their affiliation/advertising with ISU.

    Better yet - if these places tossed a few advertsing bucks towards CF, well it would take care of itself, wouldn't it?


    Last edited by DaddyMac; 08-04-2009 at 03:50 PM.

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 85,965, Level: 91
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,485
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Incyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,849
    Points
    85,965
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 215
    Given: 50

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    I travel to and from STL every other week and always make it a point to stop at that Casey's. It has a nice clean bathroom to use when I need to "unload."


    “Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

    Martin Luther King Jr.

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 18,454, Level: 41
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    zumbro clones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern Minnesota
    Posts
    1,449
    Points
    18,454
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    I travel to and from STL every other week and always make it a point to stop at that Casey's. It has a nice clean bathroom to use when I need to "unload."
    And if you had the choice of stopping at an equivalent convenience store down the street, wouldn't you prefer the one with the ISU posters hanging on the wall as you enter?



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 208,715, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    10,804
    Points
    208,715
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 111

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    Frankly, I find the entire idea of going to or using places just because they support a school to be extremely dumb and short sighted.
    I seriously doubt that most people use school support as the sole criterion for making a purchasing decision. If you hate Chinese food, you probably won't eat at a Chinese restaurant just because they support ISU...


    Last edited by jbhtexas; 08-04-2009 at 03:57 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 18,454, Level: 41
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    zumbro clones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern Minnesota
    Posts
    1,449
    Points
    18,454
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I seriously doubt that most people use school support as the sole criterion for making a purchasing decision.
    I'm not advocating it as the sole decision, just as a factor.



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 208,715, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    10,804
    Points
    208,715
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 111

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    Quote Originally Posted by zumbro clones View Post
    I'm not advocating it as the sole decision, just as a factor.
    I didn't think you were. I was replying to another poster that apparently was thinking that...


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  13. #13
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I didn't think you were. I was replying to another poster that apparently was thinking that...
    And there have been many people saying to not eat at x restaurant or go to y place because "the owners support Iowa"

    It's the same idea as this one.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 18,454, Level: 41
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    zumbro clones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern Minnesota
    Posts
    1,449
    Points
    18,454
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    And there have been many people saying to not eat at x restaurant or go to y place because "the owners support Iowa"

    It's the same idea as this one.
    I disagree. The idea is to promote businesses that support the Cyclones. Not to avoid business that don't. If you know that there is a bar in St. Paul that has the Cyclone game on, wouldn't you want to stop there? If there is a Kwik Trip that has some Cyclone posters up, wouldn't you want to get a Big Buddy there if you were in the neighborhood and needed one?



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 154,113, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    11,181
    Points
    154,113
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 468
    Given: 639

    Re: Preferred Cyclone Fanatic business on CF website?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post
    And there have been many people saying to not eat at x restaurant or go to y place because "the owners support Iowa"

    It's the same idea as this one.
    What is wrong with that? If your passion is ISU athletics, patronizing those who support ISU makes sense.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FOX
  • Iowa State vs. Baylor
  • September 27, 2014
  • 07:20 PM