Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

John Amaechi

Don't think anyone has talked about this yet and was kinda surprised. For those who don't know Amaechi was an NBA player who has now after his career in the league came out and said he was gay and this is a huge news story. Just wondering what some peoples thoughts were on this (within reason)...

Honestly I think its sad this is even an issue, the only thing I don't understand is why every gay athlete never says they are gay until their careers are over...is there something out there keeping them in the closet while they play? I am not gay, but I can sympathize with gay athletes - I think its terrible they have to live scared to admit WHO THEY ARE.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 161

Re: John Amaechi

Quote Originally Posted by isucyclone4 View Post
    Honestly I think its sad this is even an issue,
    Agreed.

It's also sad that some are ignorant enough to say "as long as he doesn't put his gayness on me, I'm ok with it"...after he's already been a teammate with the guy for a while.

Walk On
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 110
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 68

Why is this story even newsworthy? Who cares?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Yea, I didn't even give it any thought, as it really doesn't matter to me. Gay, not gay, whatever, it's cool. This is not to say that I'm unwilling to make value judgements, just that in this case I don't think it matters whatsoever. If you get your kicks with dudes or chicks it really matters not.

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 283

Who cares. It's not like Alex Rodriguez came out of the closet. That will be story when that happens

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 954
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Let's just put a great big rainbow sticker on this thread and let it go.

Last edited by zdorr40; 02-09-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Rookie Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

It has to be a product of our sports. Look at the thread about the new S&C coach for football. We all want to imagine our athletes as the toughest and most manly of men. I won't say that if you come out as gay you can't be manly, but most of society would not see you as such.

I have to admit that I had the stereotype of what a gay man was that was only solidified in my little sphere from small town Iowa, and the few gay guys that I knew there. The media helped my stereotype with Will & Grace, Queer eye, etc. My stereotype wasn't really changed until I sat at a party with a 35+ yr old guy, drinking some beer, having some chew, and talking about hunting. He was wearing a flannel button up, sweat pants and work boots. Definately did not fit my stereotype. His boyfriend came over and kissed him and I then realized that this was my friends gay neighbor. Changed my perception forever, no stereotypes left thanks to this experience.
    I hope that some day a guy in one of the leagues can do what they want in private or public and it is not an issue, but I don't see it changing anytime soon.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As long as the media is pushing an agenda, we'll all being hearing about this stuff constantly.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by zdorr40 View Post
    As long as the media is pushing an agenda, we'll all being hearing about this stuff constantly.
    Really? So gay athletes are only viewed as different by the media - not their peers or the public?

This isn't just a media bonanza - it's a real issue where these guys are shunned by teammates and friends, hazed, harassed, etc.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's a somewhat significant deal just because there haven't been any openly gay athletes yet but it wouldn't surprise if there is one within the next few years.

It's not like there aren't any playing now and some of the comments from current players made it sound like they're more open than it's seemed in the past. Charles Barkley was saying that he never bought that it would be a huge lockerroom problem because most of the guys know or suspect it if they have a gay teammate already. My guess is the biggest hassles would be all of the media coverage and heckling or whatever from the fans and some guys just aren't willing to put up with that.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Really? So gay athletes are only viewed as different by the media - not their peers or the public?

This isn't just a media bonanza - it's a real issue where these guys are shunned by teammates and friends, hazed, harassed, etc.
    Obviously this guy is looking for some attention or to sell some more of his books. Otherwise he wouldn't have come out publicly through the media, he would have just told his friends and family.

You can't sit here and say it's not that big of a deal in one post and then turn right around say it's a big issue.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post

amen...i am not gonna lie you sound like my dad...and it's not even necessarily bcuz I tend to lean liberal and he tends to lean conservative, bcuz i don't see this as a real political issue (its a social one). But my father always like to say "oh, that's just the liberal media...etc. wanting you to believe something."

I think homosexuals are going to have a hard time assimilating into "normal" society...i use normal in quotations bcuz it is the most undefinable word. African-Americans, women, and other minorites had social movements and still have them ongoing, I think ideally you wish everyone would just stop judging people by what they are or look like, judge their character like the great MLK Jr. said.

I hate to say that i am for gay rights, bcuz it makes it sound like it should be debated and I CANNOT believe something such as a person's rights should ever be debated/denied...I mean "gay rights"...they should be no different from "human rights" bcuz gays are humans and vice versa, gays are not something lesser, they are humans. And I cannot believe what this country is doing to keep them from their human rights. Can't even get married? it's ridiculous.

Gays and lesbians should have every right to get married and be just as miserable as heterosexual married couples, lol.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Obviously this guy is looking for some attention or to sell some more of his books. Otherwise he wouldn't have come out publicly through the media, he would have just told his friends and family.

You can't sit here and say it's not that big of a deal in one post and then turn right around say it's a big issue.
    Never did I say it wasn't a big deal. I agreed with someone else's statement of "it's sad this is even an issue". Two entirely different things.

The gay issue is similar to the racial bigotry this country went through and still endures today. Notice I said similar and not like it - I don't pretend to think the gay issue is on the same level as racial views.

Yet they have some of the same attributes. And it took some great men and women in our history to stand up for what they believe in. At the time, they were perceived as "just wanting attention", disobedient, etc. Today, they're historical figures.

Do I think Amaechi and people that speak out about gay rights and treatment will be viewed at the same level as MKL, Rosa Parks, Malcom X, etc? Heck no - two entirely different issues and movements.

But to label a man that is outting himself, raising awareness and such - as an attention seeker - is a bit premature.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 410
    Given: 1,020

So you know when and where and how he came out to his family and friends?

I have no idea, but I'd bet they didn't learn about it from a book.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 186

Quote Originally Posted by isucyclone4 View Post
    I think its sad this is even an issue,
    Not to be rude but if you think it's sad that it's an issue why would you wan to make a thread about it? Doesn't that continue to make it an issue?
    Just my two cents.