Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

"It's been tough" - Good!!

I like this quote from Blythe in Eric Peterson's article linked by Chris Williams:

"It's been tough. It is a little different than what we are used to," receiver Todd Blythe said. "It's all high intensity. We are getting after it. Guys have been puking and stuff like that, but it's been real good for us."

We're all excited about the potential of the recruit class. I'm more excited about the potential of those 60+ guys coming back - fresh off a victory over Missouri - with new training, better strength and conditioning and coaching. If we're to win in the next couple of years, we need them to step up. I expect more than a few of them will start and give a good account of themselves and ISU.
    Let's Go State!

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: "It's been tough" - Good!!

Tough practice makes for tough players!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I remember seeing an interview with one of the Brands brothers about the training that Gable put them through. In it, he said that they do things that "would make a billy goat puke." Look at the success those teams had. That's the same mentality that we need. Preparation in the weight room will bring success on the field.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 690
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 2

the quote "would make a billy goat puke" came from Rambo, First Blood didnt it. Look at the success Sylvester Stalone has had!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 95

Yeah, an interesting side note to this: my friend works at Old Chicago here in Ames. A couple weeks ago (during AFC championship) he was serving a couple of football players. After somebody on TV had pulled an excessive TD celebration, he asked the player if the new coaching staff would be cool with that. The player responded with something along the lines of "we would be dead for that," and then made a mention of how tough workouts had become. Later that day, Bolt, McFarland and couple other guys were in. As my buddy waited on them, he told them what the player had said earlier on, and Bolt stood up in Old Chicago and bellowed, "There's a new sherriff in town!" I love the hard-***** attitude this crew brings!

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Yeah, an interesting side note to this: my friend works at Old Chicago here in Ames. A couple weeks ago (during AFC championship) he was serving a couple of football players. After somebody on TV had pulled an excessive TD celebration, he asked the player if the new coaching staff would be cool with that. The player responded with something along the lines of "we would be dead for that," and then made a mention of how tough workouts had become. Later that day, Bolt, McFarland and couple other guys were in. As my buddy waited on them, he told them what the player had said earlier on, and Bolt stood up in Old Chicago and bellowed, "There's a new sherriff in town!" I love the hard-***** attitude this crew brings!
    haha, that is simply awesome...all this stuff is great to hear, but beyond just working these players harder, these players have to buy into these coaches and their ways. I think the best way is once they win some close games or blowout a cupcake team like they should, then they'll see that all the tough work is for a reason. It's just really tough when you put in so much and don't see the results on saturdays...I love the attitudes of everyone (coaches, players, fans) in the Cyclone Nation now, but it is February, I want it to be like this in mid November as well.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

"Its a little different then what we're use to." This explains a lot. Especially the dismal performance of what should have been a good offensive line.
    I've been a McCarney supporter and I still believe he was good for ISU but I've been coming to the realization that maybe he was too much PR and not enough practice.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 14

I think a lot of us are coming to that conclusion.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jjl View Post
    "Its a little different then what we're use to." This explains a lot. Especially the dismal performance of what should have been a good offensive line.
    I've been a McCarney supporter and I still believe he was good for ISU but I've been coming to the realization that maybe he was too much PR and not enough practice.

I agree, (and here is some rep...welcome to CF) and while this year i thought it was time for Dan to go, I really appreciated what he did. Importantly I was also a Getty fan, but after hearing the differences in the workouts, the different approach in the weight room, and the philosphy of the new strength coaches I don't think we were well served by the previous approach.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 257

Maybe the football coaches can show the basketball coaches something aLso. Ross? Dodie? Gray? Brock? Listening. We need to get tough just to play in the Big 12. This is the Southern Way,

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 14

The previous approach was "ok" - which just isn't good enough anymore. :)

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

I was always a Mac supporter too, but I think the change was necessary, Mac was nothing but class all the way, not an elite coach of course, but a deserved big 12 coach of the year at one point. You are exactly right on the PR part, i can't say i can comment on what his practices were, but it seems like ISU is hitting the weightroom harder now. Mac was a GREAT "Rah-Rah" type of coach, which is also what made him SOOO easy to like as a fan/ISU supporter. A lot of ISU's problems last year, were not so much due to him as his coaches under him, but once again, you can also tie that problem to him I suppose cuz he is the one who hired them...Mac was just a class act, but ISU is past needing a "Rah-Rah" coach to get to the next level. It's gonna take a lot more hard work and good coaching and scheme-ing.

The last game this year, with Mac getting carried off the field was one of my fondest ISU Cyclone memories, and man I was just glad to be able to storm the field for the third year in a row - vs. Neb '04, vs. iowa '05, vs. Mizzou '06

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jjl View Post
    ... but I've been coming to the realization that maybe he was too much PR and not enough practice.
    If by that you mean that kids weren't "tough" enough, I readily agree.

I liked Mac - he was very likeable and easy to support. 99% of the time, he ran a clean, classy program that unfortunately didn't translate into enough wins. However I think his biggest failure overall was that he wasn't a good "game day" coach.

I think Mac's first 8 teams, or so, were disciplined, players developed, and were tough. Especially given the level of their talent.

The past 3 or 4 seasons, that most certainly wasn't the case. Player development remained stagnant, and the team never overcame adversity - NEVER. The lone exceptions might be the Baylor game a few years ago (wow ), and the Mizzou game this year. But more often than not, they folded like a lawn chair - as did the coaching staff.

It would seem that Chizik and co realize that. And like military boot camp, they're going to work the fear out of the players so when the bullets fly, things aren't so different.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'm very confident that GMac will get that message across.

Unfortunately right now, he doesn't have alot of options in the "do this, or else.." department.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

I think alot of the problems stem from Mac trying to be a buddy than an authority figure... Its an approach that some can pull off, especially at the pro level, but very tough to work out in college (see Ron Zook). Players are happy, but when it comes time for the coach to come down on a player it can catch them off guard and the reactions can be mixed... I definately like what I am hearing about the new staff though...