Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 356

MMA fans Fedor

just signed with Strikeforce. If you are a fringe fan you might not know who he is. He is pound for pound the best fighter in the world. He can never come to terms with the UFC. THis sucks. I wanted to see him kill Lesner.

Recruit
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: MMA fans Fedor

There was an article on Yahoo about the UFC problems. Sounds like a greedy agent kept that from happening. Too bad would have been fun to watch.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah it would have. I would have bought the pay per view for sure on that one. Strikeforce has no competition for him. They have Alister Overeem and Brett Rogers and that is about it. The UFC has a bunch of good heavyweights now. He could have fought Mir for a tune up to Lesnar. Then dominated for a few years and became a mythical fighter. Now he will just beat up little guys. No big deal.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 274

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    Yeah it would have. I would have bought the pay per view for sure on that one. Strikeforce has no competition for him. They have Alister Overeem and Brett Rogers and that is about it. The UFC has a bunch of good heavyweights now. He could have fought Mir for a tune up to Lesnar. Then dominated for a few years and became a mythical fighter. Now he will just beat up little guys. No big deal.
    Fedor is already mythical. I respect the guy for telling Dana to go efhimself. Strikeforce now has something exciting...until it fails.

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

It will fail. These fly by night operations keep failing. Fedor get's paid to much money for them to sustain operations and he really is not a high drawing power guy. Basically nobody knows who he is except mainstreem guys.
    Also Dana basically told them to stick it because of there demands. Not the other way around. Dana does not need Fedor. It would have been great to have him though.

Rookie
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Although I agree with Dana is a d*ck, UFC is the top league hands down, and if you want to be the best you have to fight the best. Fedor in my opinion is scared to fight in the UFC. If the agent was greedy it had to be about money, and I am sure the UFC gave more then strikeforce offered.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165

The reason the deal didn’t get done is simple: Fedor Emelianenko.
    Emelianenko’s supporters are going to point the finger at White as the reason a deal did not get done. White, though, agreed to essentially every demand Emelianenko made. He offered to pay him more than he’s ever made. He agreed to allow Emelianenko to fight in combat sambo. He agreed to allow Emelianenko to advertise M-1 on his fight shorts, on the apparel he wore and on banners his cornermen brought with them to the cage.

What White wouldn’t do, though, is give half of his company to Finkelchtein in return for the, ahem, privilege, of promoting Emelianenko’s next few fights.

The demand was kind of like an owner in the Continental Basketball Association demanding 50 percent ownership in an NBA team before allowing his player to sign.
    One man to blame in UFC-Fedor breakdown - UFC - Yahoo! Sports

Starter
    Thumbs Up

I'm not a big MMA guy, but Fedor/Lesnar would be awesome. Fedor would dominate him and I would love it.

Walk On
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

I'm not so sure Fedor would dominate Lesnar. Brock has really improved, and would most likely make Fedor fight him on his feet. I'd put money on Lesnar

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by CyFanInChiLand View Post
    I'm not so sure Fedor would dominate Lesnar. Brock has really improved, and would most likely make Fedor fight him on his feet. I'd put money on Lesnar
    Lesnar winning by fighting on his feet? I will admit to never having seen Fedor fight but I have a hard time believing Lesnar would win a match fighting on his feet.

He has a big right hand, and is quick for his size, but Lesnar thrives on landing those fast fists when he is in close. Usually when his opponent is on the ground.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Rookie
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

With all the concessions that White was going to give Fedor, I can't help but get the impression that Fedor is ducking the UFC. Now I know the UFC heavyweight division is by far is least stocked talent wise but regadless it is still the #1 MMA draw in the US. I would have loved to see a Lesnar/Fedor fight but alas that will not be. Regardless of how you feel about Lesnar's personality or antics the dude can pound the hell out of people. Might not look pretty but its effective, ask Frank Mir.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    It will fail. These fly by night operations keep failing. Fedor get's paid to much money for them to sustain operations and he really is not a high drawing power guy. Basically nobody knows who he is except mainstreem guys.
    Also Dana basically told them to stick it because of there demands. Not the other way around. Dana does not need Fedor. It would have been great to have him though.
    no FE's folks did tell them to go ef themselves because they are as arrogant as Dana. Dana wins because of the brother's money.

It probably will fail-don't really care as long as Fedor fights it will be fun. Fedor has owned every and all UFC comers...he can do it his way. You don't think if FE fought Brock that would be the worlds largest mma ppv ever? Come on-thnk about this. Fedor and Dana's ego's hose the fan...again.

jmb

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Walk On
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Strikeforce won't fail the way the other smaller promotions have. They have some good advantages not all the other ones had.

One, they are pretty conservative with their financial packages and while Fedor would cost them a lot I am sure they didn't put the company at risk.

Two, they aren't really a PPV org which gets really expensive. They put events on Showtime and that has them fall under the Umbrella of CBS which is a HUGE deal to have network tv connections. EliteXC had the CBS deal and still fell but that was due to their outrageous spending practices and the fact that they tried to compete with the UFC which really can't be done. Elite basically blew it. The Kimbo Slice fight vs James Thomson had by far the largest television audience for an MMA event ever. Like 6.5 million and that was for a garbage fight. Expect Fedor to turn up on CBS, although I agree, not much competition for him currently in Strikeforce.

And Three, Strikeforce is an MMA org that is actually on good terms with the UFC (pending seeing how they will react to this Fedor signing) Dana respects Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker and considers him a good promoter. Strikeforce basically tries to do their own thing and not cut into the UFC or challenge them the way some of the other orgs have. Dana hated EliteXC and Affliction promoters for being "Lawyers and Tee Shirt Guys" trying to be promoters but actually respects Coker as a good promoter.

So I don't see SF falling but I do agree that they don't have that many interesting fights to offer Fedor at this time. Overeem and Rogers would both interest me. Werdum, meh. They would probably have to sign a few guys that are currently fighting in Japan. Junior Silva maybe, who used to be Elite's heavyweight champ or maybe Blagoi Ivanov and push the fact that he beat Fedor in the world combat sambo championships in 2008, ruining his 6 year run. The fight becomes more interesting if Ivanov beats Fedor's younger brother Aleksander in their rumored fight for World Victory Road in Japan in September. Roger Gracie needs a lot more experience (only 2 fights) but he could be a major player in the Heavyweight division in time. Fedor signed a 5 fight deal so maybe SF signs Roger in a couple years for Fedor's 5th and final fight and by then Roger has 4 more fights himself or something.

Definitely harder to find good matchups for him outside of the UFC. Although in the UFC, Lesnar, rematch vs Cro Cop and maybe Cain or Carwin are the only ones that really would interest me either.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by rooster View Post
    Strikeforce won't fail the way the other smaller promotions have. They have some good advantages not all the other ones had.

One, they are pretty conservative with their financial packages and while Fedor would cost them a lot I am sure they didn't put the company at risk.

Two, they aren't really a PPV org which gets really expensive. They put events on Showtime and that has them fall under the Umbrella of CBS which is a HUGE deal to have network tv connections. EliteXC had the CBS deal and still fell but that was due to their outrageous spending practices and the fact that they tried to compete with the UFC which really can't be done. Elite basically blew it. The Kimbo Slice fight vs James Thomson had by far the largest television audience for an MMA event ever. Like 6.5 million and that was for a garbage fight. Expect Fedor to turn up on CBS, although I agree, not much competition for him currently in Strikeforce.

And Three, Strikeforce is an MMA org that is actually on good terms with the UFC (pending seeing how they will react to this Fedor signing) Dana respects Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker and considers him a good promoter. Strikeforce basically tries to do their own thing and not cut into the UFC or challenge them the way some of the other orgs have. Dana hated EliteXC and Affliction promoters for being "Lawyers and Tee Shirt Guys" trying to be promoters but actually respects Coker as a good promoter.

So I don't see SF falling but I do agree that they don't have that many interesting fights to offer Fedor at this time. Overeem and Rogers would both interest me. Werdum, meh. They would probably have to sign a few guys that are currently fighting in Japan. Junior Silva maybe, who used to be Elite's heavyweight champ or maybe Blagoi Ivanov and push the fact that he beat Fedor in the world combat sambo championships in 2008, ruining his 6 year run. The fight becomes more interesting if Ivanov beats Fedor's younger brother Aleksander in their rumored fight for World Victory Road in Japan in September. Roger Gracie needs a lot more experience (only 2 fights) but he could be a major player in the Heavyweight division in time. Fedor signed a 5 fight deal so maybe SF signs Roger in a couple years for Fedor's 5th and final fight and by then Roger has 4 more fights himself or something.

Definitely harder to find good matchups for him outside of the UFC. Although in the UFC, Lesnar, rematch vs Cro Cop and maybe Cain or Carwin are the only ones that really would interest me either.
    great post.

Walk On
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And Dana is not to blame, and neither really is Fedor. Vadim Finkelstein is the one who demands any org that signs Fedor has to co promote with his little M1 brand. Fedor is a fighter and I'm sure he just puts his faith in his manager as doing what is best for him.

There is no reason for the UFC, far and away the largest and most succesful MMA org in the world, to split the billing with any other orgs for a single fighter, no matter how good he is. That is like me starting a small software company called roosterco and then asking bill gates to merge microsoft with me to make roostersoft. And Dana conceded to all their other demands, allowing Fedor to compete in Combat Sambo and wearing M-1 gear and carrying an M-1 banner while in the octagon.

I just think Vadim is an idiot.