Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

What to do with Jake Fox?

The kid plays 4-5 positions - unfortunately they all seem to be filled for the next 3 seasons. What should the Cubs do with him? Sell high? Keep him as the new "DeRosa" who plays everywhere and gives the starters a blow?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 59

Re: What to do with Jake Fox?

Quote Originally Posted by DJK15 View Post
    The kid plays 4-5 positions - unfortunately they all seem to be filled for the next 3 seasons. What should the Cubs do with him? Sell high? Keep him as the new "DeRosa" who plays everywhere and gives the starters a blow?
    His problem is he plays 4-5 defensive positions at below average or worse. There is a reason Lou hasn't put him behind the plate. He's the only bat they have off the bench which is probably why he wasn't traded already.

The Cubs aren't going to give him away, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded at somepoint this winter.

BTW, my guess is that the Cubs will go after a second baseman in the offseason (Figgins or Hudson) which would move Fontenot into a reserve role.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,275
    Given: 1,112

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    His problem is he plays 4-5 defensive positions at below average or worse. There is a reason Lou hasn't put him behind the plate. He's the only bat they have off the bench which is probably why he wasn't traded already.

The Cubs aren't going to give him away, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded at somepoint this winter.

BTW, my guess is that the Cubs will go after a second baseman in the offseason (Figgins or Hudson) which would move Fontenot into a reserve role.
    We won a game with Jake behind the plate. It wasn't pretty, but he settled in pretty well and got the job done.

I think he could play OK as an everyday 1st baseman. I could see that. He seems serviceable at 3rd as well. I could see him at 3rd and Aramis at 1st, or something like that. Of course, this leaves a wide-open question that I don't have an answer for.

I really like the idea of him in RF, as long as the other two outfielders have some solid range-covering ability.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post

If Jake Fox plays a below average LF, what does Soriano play? I think Fox's defensive deficiencies have been totally overblown.

Rookie
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

make him into a decent 2nd baseman so we can have someone that is fairly consistent at bat in that position.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    We won a game with Jake behind the plate. It wasn't pretty, but he settled in pretty well and got the job done.

I think he could play OK as an everyday 1st baseman. I could see that. He seems serviceable at 3rd as well. I could see him at 3rd and Aramis at 1st, or something like that. Of course, this leaves a wide-open question that I don't have an answer for.

I really like the idea of him in RF, as long as the other two outfielders have some solid range-covering ability.
    RF in Wrigley? If I'm gonna put him somewhere in the outfield it would be left. Even good/great defenders have trouble in RF at Wrigley.

1st and 3rd would be the two positions I could see him playing. Unfortunately for him, we have Aramis and Lee with Vitters on deck. I'd love for the Cubs to keep him because, like I said, he's the only guy I trust to hit anything coming off the bench. I just think he'll have quite a bit of trade value for an AL club.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wallruss64 View Post
    make him into a decent 2nd baseman so we can have someone that is fairly consistent at bat in that position.
    Or you put Soriano at second and Foxy in left.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 4

Neither play Left very well but atleast soriano has a decent arm out there. I would expect him to be traded in the offseason to an AL team.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If Jake Fox plays a below average LF, what does Soriano play? I think Fox's defensive deficiencies have been totally overblown.
    lol Fox makes Soriano look good. Not only does Fox have bricks for hands, he is slower than cold maple syrup. At least Soriano can get to the balls that he can't catch

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Have to wonder the same about Hoffpauir as well. The only places that kid can play looks to be locked up for the forseeable future. Unless they decide not to bring Lee back this offseason (I have to say unlikely since he's inked through 2011, I believe)

I can see all the mentioned being trade bait for the offseason (Fontenot, Hoff and Fox). Cubs need a closer and a setup man in the worst way to go with that 2B spot.

Problem the Cubs have is that they have too much top-paid talent at too many spots. I know people keep saying that Lou doesn't care what you're getting paid - he'll bench you. Well the first half and Soriano and Bradley appear to say otherwise. And the contracts they have would make them pretty much untradeable. Nobody is really going to unseat the outfield or the corners of the IF as it stands. Hoff and Fox aren't playing mid-IF. Might as well get something out of them.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Or you put Soriano at second and Foxy in left.
    That team would break all kinds of records for defensive ineptitude.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 78.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,275
    Given: 1,112

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Have to wonder the same about Hoffpauir as well. The only places that kid can play looks to be locked up for the forseeable future. Unless they decide not to bring Lee back this offseason (I have to say unlikely since he's inked through 2011, I believe)

I can see all the mentioned being trade bait for the offseason (Fontenot, Hoff and Fox). Cubs need a closer and a setup man in the worst way to go with that 2B spot.

Problem the Cubs have is that they have too much top-paid talent at too many spots. I know people keep saying that Lou doesn't care what you're getting paid - he'll bench you. Well the first half and Soriano and Bradley appear to say otherwise. And the contracts they have would make them pretty much untradeable. Nobody is really going to unseat the outfield or the corners of the IF as it stands. Hoff and Fox aren't playing mid-IF. Might as well get something out of them.
    Bradley's inability to slow down before running into walls and rails may bench him medically. The guy hustles, but he doesn't protect himself at those points.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post

I'm not so sure Hoff is anything more than a back-up on a good team anyway. I agree that the contracts mean that there are few places on the diamond to upgrade.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

If I remember right, he came into that game late after Lou had to take Hill out of the game in a double switch. If Fox is going to catch full time at any point in Cubs career, let him try during Spring Training next year to see if he can call games and/or throw out runners.

He was fine at 3rd when Lou finally decided that Fontenot couldn't hack it over there; not that Fontenot was bad at 3rd, but he struggled at the plate. I can't remember Jake having any errors at the hot corner to this point.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Bradley's inability to slow down before running into walls and rails may bench him medically. The guy hustles, but he doesn't protect himself at those points.
    Yeah - somebody should tell him it's brick out there.

You need backups regardless. I like Reed Johnson still, but his injuries are a concern. We'll see how he does with this callup, but I really like Fuld as well, although nobody will ever mistake him for a power hitter. And I think you want that big-stick as your bench players.

The bullpen needs the most help. More than 2B IMO. I don't feel good about a single one of those guys coming out there, except perhaps Heilman - strangely enough. Maybe Marshall.

When does Geo come back? I imagine that will be Blanco's spot?