Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

CFers thought on 2005 football team

The only reason I am posting this is because of the talk (again) of why ISU got rid of Dan M. The 2005 season is one of the best reasons why we need a new coach and direction. The 2005 defense was one of the best ISU defenses ever and we barely made it to a bowlgame. The D-line was very good, Tim D. was an absolute hammer in the middle, the corners were very good, and the safeties were always in the right position to make plays. With this good of defense why was the 2005 season not special. Every time someone brings up Danny M. and why he was let go, this is my arguement: The 2005 season could have been a very special season and at the most it was above average.

With Murph and Andy's top ten ISU kicks to the groin, I don't know if you can have a whole season, but the 2005 season would be my whole top ten.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: CFers thought on 2005 football team

Three overtime losses that were full of dropped passes, key fumbles and missed kicks. The other two losses were close as well. Mac's teams didn't know how to pull away from the other team.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

People also forget that Illinois St. gave us one helluva time in the opener and Army very well could/should have beaten us, if not for an ill-timed penalty on their part on a 4th down play near the end of the game.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 994
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 18

We should have won 10 games that year and been in the big 12 title game... instead, we can't kick, we can't catch, we couldn't knock easy passes down... it was a disappointment for sure.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 934
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 231

Quote Originally Posted by muleboy09 View Post
    The only reason I am posting this is because of the talk (again) of why ISU got rid of Dan M. The 2005 season is one of the best reasons why we need a new coach and direction. The 2005 defense was one of the best ISU defenses ever and we barely made it to a bowlgame. The D-line was very good, Tim D. was an absolute hammer in the middle, the corners were very good, and the safeties were always in the right position to make plays. With this good of defense why was the 2005 season not special. Every time someone brings up Danny M. and why he was let go, this is my arguement: The 2005 season could have been a very special season and at the most it was above average.

With Murph and Andy's top ten ISU kicks to the groin, I don't know if you can have a whole season, but the 2005 season would be my whole top ten.
    I agree with you 100%. The defense was great, the offense lacked in creativity. I have never been so angry as when I would watch Cotton's offense run on 3rd and long and pass on 3rd and short - it made no sense! Skladany had great defenses that were able to come up with the big play to win games.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Recruiting was certainly on the decline as well. Which is absolutely mystifying considering the state of the North at the time and the ascent of our program. I am dumbfounded to this day. A golden nugget was to be siezed, unfortunately we hesitated and KU/Mizzou gladly snatched it up.

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,898
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 67

That D was good, BUT, it had very little depth. Curvey and Leaders basically played the whole game every game. The D cost us a lot of games late just because they were worn down and the offense couldn't run out the clock. Bad recruiting by McCarney on both the OL and the DL doomed that team.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by muleboy09 View Post

I totally agree, but you're really bumming me out Mule.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

The thing that might have hurt us the most that year was not having a healthy Stevie Hicks. But yes, some of the playcalling in the 2nd half of games was just mystifying. When you have an opponent down, you have to step on their throat and end them. You can't play the field position game and expect to win.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

This was the begining of the end for Mac....

"Unless a man is born again, he will not see the Kingdom of Heaven" John 3:3

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,325
    Given: 925

2005 SHOULD have been a sign of things to come in 2006. Without ever giving the results of 2005 any thought, everyone thought that the experienced offense would carry a weakened defense to an 8-win season (at least this was what the preseason picks were suggesting) because the offense had the capability of outscoring the opponents' offenses shoot-out style. What no one ever really considered was the surprise turnaround in 2004 and what was accomplished in 2005 was based almost solely on what a very short ISU defense was capable of achieving. So perhaps 2006 shouldn't have been this great shock to everyone - the offense basically played to the levels it played in 2004 and 2005, and the defense wasn't capable of bailing out the offense.

And yeah - I always did think that Skaldany did get the short end of the stick during the house clearing that was the coaching staff (although him having the secondary giving the wide receivers the cushioning they had was maddening at times)...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 468
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2

Didn't we fumble the ball into the end zone twice that year, with each one being a game changer? I know one was the Baylor game which shifted momentum and the other one at Missouri? I think there might have been a 3rd but can't remember. How many times has a fumble in the end zone happened since or 10 years before that? 2005 could have been ISU's best year ever but just exposed some of our problems already pointed out.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 714
    Given: 1,455

My thoughts on the2005 season:

I am sad and amglad Dan is not our coach anymore, I have moved on.

-keep

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 532
    Given: 148

The 2005 was totally a product of coaching. I said it then, I'm saying it now. Schematically, we got conservative on BOTH sides of the ball, and it allowed teams to get back into the game. Those dropped balls, dropped ints, etc, etc would have been irrelevant if the coaching staff hadn't relented the pace of those games. When we opened it up, and stayed on the other team's throat, you can see what happend: A&M, OSU, KSU.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 362
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 157

I gave Mac a pass on the 2004 season, because no one really expected much out of that team, and I felt like it was the first time one of his teams had overachieved on a season's expectations.

2005 was a whole different story. The North was really weak that year, we had the soft South schedule, Iowa game was at home.... that was a 10-win season right there.

When we missed the chance to play in the Big 12 Champ game was when I closed the book on the Dan Mac era at ISU. Everything lined up for that season, and we still didn't get it done. If he couldn't make it happen in 2005, he wasn't ever going to get there IMO.