Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 28,247, Level: 51
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,232
    Points
    28,247
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Cool Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    So, I just got back from the pool and need to vent a bit. The pool only has a limited number of chairs to relax on while you read a book and/or watch your kids swim. What's the deal with people claiming 3 or 4 chairs when there is only one of them?

    I walked by a chair and kindly asked this lady if that chair was taken and she nearly bit my head off "yes, they are taken, all of them right here, we got them". I replied "sorry, just asking, you have a nice day ma'am". I moved on and found a chair a little down the way so I could sit and notice all afternoon how this woman only used one chair and her 3 kids would maybe, MAYBE sit on one of the other charis for the 5 minute pool break, but typically they were getting candy anyway and then jumped right back into the pool!!! So, the chairs sat empty all afternoon while adults had to sit in the grass, etc....

    The only way I kept my anger inside was by meditating while staring at the surgically enhanced mother of 2 to my left. Magically, that made things all better.


    King James

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 431,700, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,787
    Points
    431,700
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfnb View Post
    The only way I kept my anger inside was by meditating while staring at the surgically enhanced mother of 2 to my left. Magically, that made things all better.
    This post is useless without pictures.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 126,739, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tim_redd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    7,361
    Points
    126,739
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 41

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    now when you say mother of 2...



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 85,096, Level: 90
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,104
    Points
    85,096
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfnb View Post
    the surgically enhanced mother of 2 to my left. Magically, that made things all better.
    This. Makes everything better. That is how wars are ended, let alone frustratingly angry days at the pool.


    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

  5. #5
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    92
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    my pet peeve is floating turds.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 48,708, Level: 68
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,042
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    baller21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    1,331
    Points
    48,708
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 7

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    Quote Originally Posted by smittyclone View Post
    my pet peeve is floating turds.
    have you been swimming in the water treatment pond again?



  7. #7
    Walk On Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    223
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    better idea, man up and take a chair...you shouldn't let people walk all over you like that.


    the lonely cyclone in husker country

  8. #8
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    242
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    Quote Originally Posted by JordanHXC View Post
    better idea, man up and take a chair...you shouldn't let people walk all over you like that.

    ... no doubt... take the chair from her and tell her to call the police...

    --- Dr. Phil



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 89,835, Level: 93
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,415
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CylentButDeadly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights, IA
    Posts
    3,400
    Points
    89,835
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 4

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    I'll never forget this as it's one of the most embarrassing/awesome moments of my childhood. We were on a family vacation and we were at a large aquatic center in the Black Hills (not sure of the name). Anyway, my parents were looking for a base to set all our stuff and a place where they could lay around and watch us kids. Similar thing happened where my dad asked a woman that had several chairs by her with nothing in them. Anyway, the lady said she's saving them and my dad moves on. They eventually have to sit in the grass and my mom packed us a lunch so we were eating and my dad was obviously mad. He drops his sandwich and walks over to the lady and says something to the form of, "my family is sitting over there with no chairs and nobody is using these chairs and I'm taking them." He picks up two of the chairs and walks them over to us and plops them down. The lady is visibly upset. She gets some 14 year old employee and he comes over and tries to get the chairs back. My dad says no way and the kid leaves and comes back with a manager or something. She tells my dad that if the lady was saving the chairs, he has to give them back, my dad still refuses and says when the people she's saving them for need them, they can come over and get them from him. The lady and the manager leave. Nobody ever shows to get the chairs and the lady sat by herself the rest of the afternoon.


    "Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

    -Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

  10. #10
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    870
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    My pet peeve is when the area day care centers haul all of the kids from the day care to the pool all summer. The day care workers proceed to sit out and tan all day long and force the aquatic center lifeguards to watch their kids all day. A lot of day care centers force the parents of the kids to purchase season passes to an aquatic center in the summers in addition to the large monthly fees they charge already at the day care centers.



  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 18,344, Level: 41
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 606
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Irresponsible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    705
    Points
    18,344
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfnb View Post
    So, I just got back from the pool... So, the chairs sat empty all afternoon while adults had to sit in the grass, etc....
    You should have checked as she left the pool because I bet she was a bike rider (sorry, I'm still smirking about the RAGBRAI-jerk threads).

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfnb View Post
    The only way I kept my anger inside was by meditating while staring at the surgically enhanced mother of 2 to my left. Magically, that made things all better.
    They were real.


    Dean Wormer was wrong. Fat, drunk and stupid was a great way to go through college (all five years of it).

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 28,247, Level: 51
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,232
    Points
    28,247
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Cool Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    Quote Originally Posted by hursts View Post
    My pet peeve is when the area day care centers haul all of the kids from the day care to the pool all summer. The day care workers proceed to sit out and tan all day long and force the aquatic center lifeguards to watch their kids all day. A lot of day care centers force the parents of the kids to purchase season passes to an aquatic center in the summers in addition to the large monthly fees they charge already at the day care centers.

    DING DING DING DING DING..............I can't believe I forgot this one. Typically I'm at the pool on weekends since I work during the week but the few times I make it to the pool on a Monday through Friday it's nutzoid with day care buses and a million kids!!!!! I've wondered if enough people complain if that would matter????


    King James

  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 385,636, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,585
    Points
    385,636
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 275

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    My favorite as of late:

    A mother sat in a chair by the pool on her cell phone.
    Her 3 year old daughter moved to the gutter of the pool and stood out looking into the pool. My wife I and are unsure what to do, thinking the mom probably notices this and we cant get there fast enough since we are on the other side. The little girl jumps in and goes under, but comes back up briefly and is struggling to stay afloat. My wife and I are getting nervous and ready to pounce but the mother sees it. She tries to pull the girl out of the pool with one hand reaching for the kid and the other holding the damn phone to her ear. She realizes she cant get the kid, so she slides into the pool fast and wraps her arm around the girl and pulls her up into the gutter.....while still talking on the cell phone. She then proceeds to walk over to the life guard down the way and chews her out for not seeing this go on......while still on her cell phone. Sure, the lifeguard should have noticed something was up, but in all reality if you are there with your kids, watch your damn kids. Its ultimately your responsibility. Oh and get off your ******* cell phone when your kid is drowning. My cell would have been on the pavement and I would be moving as fast as I could to save my kid.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 81,577, Level: 88
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    6,738
    Points
    81,577
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 103

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    Some(most) people just shouldnt be allowed to have kids.


    #BEATIOWA

  15. #15
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    870
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Public Swimming Pool Pet Peeves

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    My favorite as of late:

    A mother sat in a chair by the pool on her cell phone.
    Her 3 year old daughter moved to the gutter of the pool and stood out looking into the pool. My wife I and are unsure what to do, thinking the mom probably notices this and we cant get there fast enough since we are on the other side. The little girl jumps in and goes under, but comes back up briefly and is struggling to stay afloat. My wife and I are getting nervous and ready to pounce but the mother sees it. She tries to pull the girl out of the pool with one hand reaching for the kid and the other holding the damn phone to her ear. She realizes she cant get the kid, so she slides into the pool fast and wraps her arm around the girl and pulls her up into the gutter.....while still talking on the cell phone. She then proceeds to walk over to the life guard down the way and chews her out for not seeing this go on......while still on her cell phone. Sure, the lifeguard should have noticed something was up, but in all reality if you are there with your kids, watch your damn kids. Its ultimately your responsibility. Oh and get off your ******* cell phone when your kid is drowning. My cell would have been on the pavement and I would be moving as fast as I could to save my kid.
    I bet she was on the phone making her manicure/pedicure appointment.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM