Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Iowa game key for both teams...

I believe the Iowa State-Iowa game is key for both teams fortunes this season.
    -For Iowa State, a win would be a major confidence boost, that is badly needed after the past two seasons
    -It would give Iowa State a fighting chance to get bowl elligible
    -A win would help fill the stadium for upcoming games
    -It would be a kick start in recruiting for Rhoads and co.

-For Iowa, KF seemed to put a lot more emphasis on winning that game last year than in past seasons, he knows it's importance
    -With the parity in the Big 10, one game makes a huge difference in getting to a bowl, and which bowl a team is in
    -A win would keep the heat off KF with the off field problems
    -Would help in the instate recruiting battles that Iowa has won of late.

Overall, this is a big, big game this year. The stakes are very high for both teams. It's not just a W in my opinion.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 493

Re: Iowa game key for both teams...

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    -For Iowa State, a win would be a major confidence boost, that is badly needed after the past two seasons

-For Iowa, KF seemed to put a lot more emphasis on winning that game last year than in past seasons, he knows it's importance
    -With the parity in the Big 10, one game makes a huge difference in getting to a bowl, and which bowl a team is in

Overall, this is a big, big game this year. The stakes are very high for both teams. It's not just a W in my opinion.
    I was having this discussion with a Hawk buddy at work this week, and this is what we thought as well. Every game counts, but this really has a chance to get the guys off to a good start with Coach Rhoads. (Of course, I'm mostly thinking of the ISU perspective).

It gives us a lot of confidence and momentum heading into that road game at Kent State, which gives us a real nice chance to get that monkey off our back. Of course, Army is a "real impressive" opponent, so then we can talk about 4-0 and College Gameday

OK, no Gameday, but actually winning 4 games in the non-conference season really gives us a good chance to be bowl eligible, especially with Colorado here and KSU in the Arrowhead game. Maybe it motivates more Cyclone fans to take that trip to KC

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56

Don't kid yourself... this is a BIG game every year... for both sides. When Iowa loses, it's always because it wasn't important, but that's just a lame excuse.

Iowa players have nearly trampled people on the football field in their rush to go grab the Cy-Hawk Trophy. Every single game is big in football... and if it isn't, then you need a new head coach. ISU cost Iowa an undefeated season back in 2002.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 9

This thread is headed towards the In-State Rivals board quickly.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Don't kid yourself... this is a BIG game every year... for both sides. When Iowa loses, it's always because it wasn't important, but that's just a lame excuse.

Iowa players have nearly trampled people on the football field in their rush to go grab the Cy-Hawk Trophy. Every single game is big in football... and if it isn't, then you need a new head coach. ISU cost Iowa an undefeated season back in 2002.
    I think this is more to do with the fans than the coaches. Iowa wins, you guys have to hear about for the next year, when Iowa will win again - . If ISU wins, we have to hear about how Kirk can't beat ISU, how his record against ISU is 4-7, etc...Iowa fan responds with the overall series record, ISU won't win at Kinnick - it's the circle of life.

The coaches (well Kirk, anyway, don't know about Rhoads yet) downplay it because the reality is that this is one game in a twelve game season.

This didn't happen in 2005 or 2007 when ISU won it?

Addict
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    I think this is more to do with the fans than the coaches. Iowa wins, you guys have to hear about for the next year, when Iowa will win again - . If ISU wins, we have to hear about how Kirk can't beat ISU, how his record against ISU is 4-7, etc...Iowa fan responds with the overall series record, ISU won't win at Kinnick - it's the circle of life.

The coaches (well Kirk, anyway, don't know about Rhoads yet) downplay it because the reality is that this is one game in a twelve game season.

This didn't happen in 2005 or 2007 when ISU won it?
    I haven't really heard KF downplay it. If by that you mean that he comments how every game on the schedule is important, and the ISU game is no different, then yes I guess you could say that. But he doesn't downplay this game.... he puts it on the same level as all the rest, including Ohio St, Penn St, or Indiana.

But for Iowa fans to claim, after losing to ISU, that KF and the Hawks don't take this game seriously.... that is total BS. Look at how the coaches and players from both sides react after winning... you'd think they won the national championship game.

And if KF and the Iowa players do downplay this game, then they are not true competitors and should question their own desire to play the game. If you can't get up for every game, then maybe you shouldn't be coaching or playing the game? As I said.... ISU cost Iowa and undefeated season in 2002. If they took that game lightly... in their own house nonetheless... then they've got issues.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 678
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

A.) How did Kirk Ferentz seem to "put a lot more emphasis" on winning the game last year? I'm a pretty avid Iowa football fan, and I'm pretty sure I saw no variation in his gameday preparation, and unless you are on the coaching staff or were in the locker room, I doubt you knew whether he put more emphasis on last years game either.

B.) A win against ISU really has nothing to do with off the field problems...so I'm not really sure I follow your argument. I'm pretty sure KF would have serious heat on him any year he lost to ISU, regardless of whether there are off the field problems or not.

C.) When mentioning "in state recruiting" and "Iowa" in the same sentence, the word "help" really isn't necessary. Iowa has dominated the state of Iowa in recruiting for upwards of 30 years....this game will have no effect on that. As ISU fans are aware of, Iowa is 4-7 against ISU (I prefer to look at it as 4-2....but you see whatever you want ) in the last 11 years, yet the U of I still cleans up all the in state talent it wants for the most part.

ISU needs to start winning games outside the Iowa/ISU game if it wants to compete for in state recruits....ISU can't just beat Iowa, then fall flat on their face for the rest of the season and expect in state recruiting to pick up.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I haven't really heard KF downplay it. If by that you mean that he comments how every game on the schedule is important, and the ISU game is no different, then yes I guess you could say that. But he doesn't downplay this game.... he puts it on the same level as all the rest, including Ohio St, Penn St, or Indiana.

But for Iowa fans to claim, after losing to ISU, that KF and the Hawks don't take this game seriously.... that is total BS. Look at how the coaches and players from both sides react after winning... you'd think they won the national championship game.

And if KF and the Iowa players do downplay this game, then they are not true competitors and should question their own desire to play the game. If you can't get up for every game, then maybe you shouldn't be coaching or playing the game? As I said.... ISU cost Iowa and undefeated season in 2002. If they took that game lightly... in their own house nonetheless... then they've got issues.
    If you haven't heard Kirk downplay this game, then you haven't been paying attention. He may not do is at much as he did in the past, but I think he still looks at it as one game on the schedule...which it is. I his mind, I think the ISU game is just as important as the Arizona game the week after. In terms of "emphasis" I think Kirk probably puts more of that on conference games, as they are one of the first tie-breakers at the end of the year.

I don't think Iowa took that game lightly at all; they did have a 17 point lead at halftime, so that alone tells me Iowa was all business going into that game. It was a tale of 2 halves. Iowa dominated the first, ISU the second. Iowa turnovers and Seneca Wallace having the 1/2 of his life were bigger factors in ISU winning that game than Iowa taking ISU lightly. There was also no way to predict at the time that Iowa was going to go undefeated the rest of the way - in fact, up until ISU went to Norman, they (ISU) were the better team.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 947
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 26

One thing you can always count on....With this poor economy, if the Clones lose you can expect fewer fans to show up to the rest of the games with a near empty stadium for the month of november...

Hellsbells gentlemen....my bro in law and me sat in the west upper stands alone to watch thurman thomas and osu blow the last game of the year before a crowd of 2000 people!!!!!

Of course the official attendance read 38000!!!!...which is typical spin!

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    One thing you can always count on....With this poor economy, if the Clones lose you can expect fewer fans to show up to the rest of the games with a near empty stadium for the month of november...

Hellsbells gentlemen....my bro in law and me sat in the west upper stands alone to watch thurman thomas and osu blow the last game of the year before a crowd of 2000 people!!!!!

Of course the official attendance read 38000!!!!...which is typical spin!
    I think you're stuck in the 80's because that's the last time there was any truth to anything you just wrote.....

Iowa actually did have a top 10 team back in those days...

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 569
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I thought we were pretending that the Hawkeye's didn't exist?

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That is based on the assumption that we win the first game. Not trying to be depressive, but considering the problems we have had the first season of our last two coaches we shouldn't assume anything.

Walk On
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 536
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A.) How did Kirk Ferentz seem to "put a lot more emphasis" on winning the game last year? I'm a pretty avid Iowa football fan, and I'm pretty sure I saw no variation in his gameday preparation, and unless you are on the coaching staff or were in the locker room, I doubt you knew whether he put more emphasis on last years game either.

B.) A win against ISU really has nothing to do with off the field problems...so I'm not really sure I follow your argument. I'm pretty sure KF would have serious heat on him any year he lost to ISU, regardless of whether there are off the field problems or not.

C.) When mentioning "in state recruiting" and "Iowa" in the same sentence, the word "help" really isn't necessary. Iowa has dominated the state of Iowa in recruiting for upwards of 30 years....this game will have no effect on that. As ISU fans are aware of, Iowa is 4-7 against ISU (I prefer to look at it as 4-2....but you see whatever you want ) in the last 11 years, yet the U of I still cleans up all the in state talent it wants for the most part.

ISU needs to start winning games outside the Iowa/ISU game if it wants to compete for in state recruits....ISU can't just beat Iowa, then fall flat on their face for the rest of the season and expect in state recruiting to pick up.
    You must have missed some media press leading up to this game last year. The news constantly mentioned in eastern Iowa him putting more focus on this game. Iowa fans were up in arms with KF's constant non-conf losses the years prior. Add that plus the off field problems, and not going to a bowl game the year before........the heat was on Kirk. It is not a shot at his coaching ability to have him say that last year. I think people so quickly forget how much Hawk faith in KF was challenged last year. Whether he cared more or not, it was a good PR move to respond to some of his fans concerns.
    As far as importance goes this game is always important to both sides. This year though Iowa has much more problems than in the last 2 years. playing at Ohio State, at Penn State, Michigan and not to mention they can't seem to beat NW lately. Put that all together along with Illinois' expectance to do Very well this year, they should be worried about where they end up in conference play.

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BEACHBUM View Post
    You must have missed some media press leading up to this game last year. The news constantly mentioned in eastern Iowa him putting more focus on this game.
    After the game, the Iowa players said that Kirk talked about ISU frequently over the summer which he had never done before, and it turned out that he or his staff had put photos of the infamous Cedar Rapids Cy-Hawk billboard in every players' locker. Thanks for that gem, Jamie.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Starter
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Face it everyone. If KF goes 8-4 there is no way he ever gets fired, I don't care what the off-the-field issues may be.
    Outback Bowl + 20sumthing arrests=contract extension.

As for the ISU/Iowa game, I think we stand a serious shot at beating EIU.
    Our offense will spread people out and I think we have enough talent on that side of the ball to give Iowa's D fits. (That is assuming we are better after 1 game under Herman than we were after 2 years under McFarland)
    I think we know exactly what to expect out of Iowa...run, run, run, to set up the play action. But the RB is a ?, the QB is a ? only because RS isn't going to have an 1800 yard back behind him this year. Iowa does return 8 starters on D but the interior line is unproven. That, and Iowa has trouble winning in Ames (even though most EIU fans would call Trice a ******** stadium with a ******** team).
    I wouldn't be suprised with the outcome no matter what. Either way this year should just add to what is becoming one of the BEST in-state rivalries in the nation.