Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Former Michigan coach Carr wants 4 team playoff

Not everyone with Big Ten ties wants to keep college football's postseason status quo.
    Former Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said Friday that he'd like to see four teams advance to the bowl season with a chance to win a national championship. Carr advocated a sort of bracketed plus-one system, with the winners of two semifinal bowls advancing to a national championship game.
    Carr cited last year as emblematic of what's wrong with today's BCS system. Texas (12-1), USC (12-1) and Utah (13-0) had no opportunity to win it all.
    "In fairness to the players, we're having too many situations where somebody gets left out," Carr said. "You tell me Utah didn't deserve a chance to play for the national championship? They did. They should have, and they didn't."
    Traditionally, Big Ten administrators and coaches, led by commissioner Jim Delany, speak against any sort of playoff or championship bracket. Those in the conference enjoy their long-standing tie with the Rose Bowl and say expanding to a four-team tournament would lead to an eventual eight- or 16-team bracket.
    Carr said he spent Thursday night with Delany, where he heard the Big Ten's position, and that of most big conferences, reinforced.
    "In listening to him, it does not sound like a playoff (is coming)," Carr said. "But that doesn't mean you can't expand what we do to four teams."

I still like the plus 1 format better

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 189

Re: Former Michigan coach Carr wants 4 team playoff

I would hardly consider Lloyd Carr an unbiased source, however. The guy's probably still burning about the choke job that was his 2006 season and wishes he had that option to bail him out - although that being said Michigan lost to two of the three schools that would have been in that playoff (Ohio St and USC), with the third team (Florida) beating Ohio St for the National Championship.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.