Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Pro LeSchmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,022
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Post Ordering Textbooks

    I'm just starting to get in the mode of ordering textbooks for the fall. I usually go to the UBS website, get my isbn's, and then order them somewhere else. What does everyone else do?


    @LeSchmick

    XBox Live: Le Schmick

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 431,749, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,790
    Points
    431,749
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    You pretty much covered what I do.

    I have no friggin clue why, but they get irate if you go in the bookstore and take pictures of the book descriptions under each book. Last year I did it and some old lady about had a stroke over it.



  3. #3
    Walk On ZCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    204
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    Considering you can go to dealoz.com or other sites and just type in the isbn's, I really questioned why I ever bought from the bookstore. I mean, it's great for the university $$wise, but not great when you're already paying outstate tuition...



  4. #4
    Cyclone42
    Guest

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    Quote Originally Posted by LeSchmick View Post
    I'm just starting to get in the mode of ordering textbooks for the fall. I usually go to the UBS website, get my isbn's, and then order them somewhere else. What does everyone else do?
    It is amazing the options you have as a student these days. When I was attending ISU nearly 20 years ago, the UBS and the other book store across Lincoln Way were pretty much it. There were no other options. Now, you can order books from all kinds of sources over the internet. In some cases, you can even buy ebooks. It's pretty amazing. I'd call you guys lucky, except you guys are also living in a day with 20% (or more) per year inflation of student tuition and fees.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 98,316, Level: 97
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 734
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    huntt26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    po' dUnk
    Posts
    7,546
    Points
    98,316
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 13

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    I did the same thing the OP does, then go through match.com Saved me a ton of money, and always had success.



  6. #6
    Pro LeSchmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,022
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    You pretty much covered what I do.

    I have no friggin clue why, but they get irate if you go in the bookstore and take pictures of the book descriptions under each book. Last year I did it and some old lady about had a stroke over it.
    Lol, its cuz you're taking advantage of the system, which, it sounds like everyone does.


    @LeSchmick

    XBox Live: Le Schmick

  7. #7
    Walk On ZCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    204
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    It is amazing the options you have as a student these days. When I was attending ISU nearly 20 years ago, the UBS and the other book store across Lincoln Way were pretty much it. There were no other options. Now, you can order books from all kinds of sources over the internet. In some cases, you can even buy ebooks. It's pretty amazing. I'd call you guys lucky, except you guys are also living in a day with 20% (or more) per year inflation of student tuition and fees.
    I would gladly pay full price in books if I got the tuition rates from back in the day...



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,312
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    Quote Originally Posted by LeSchmick View Post
    I'm just starting to get in the mode of ordering textbooks for the fall. I usually go to the UBS website, get my isbn's, and then order them somewhere else. What does everyone else do?
    I'm doing the exact same thing.


    Chiefs!

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 404,801, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,079
    Points
    404,801
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 260
    Given: 110

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    Id wait until the first day, because you never know when the professor is going to say 'you can get this if you want, but you dont really need it', and then order online, usually off of amazon or similar.
    Also, with that many books and shipping, it may make sense to pay for amazon prime. I did that once, and then for the rest of the year since i could get 2 day shipping for free, a lot of things i didnt need that moment and could wait a couple days for id just order off of there and get it for a lot cheaper.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 84,312, Level: 90
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    cstrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Longview, TX
    Posts
    8,092
    Points
    84,312
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    Quote Originally Posted by huntt26 View Post
    I did the same thing the OP does, then go through match.com Saved me a ton of money, and always had success.

    The dating website???



  11. #11
    Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oldpeopleville
    Posts
    9,207
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    The dating website???
    He was taking "How to Impress Women 204" that semester.

    I did the same thing, except some of my books were really hard to find online, or were the same price as the ones in the book stores. I always wrote down the ISBN's and the prices they were asking for them. I would also check both stores (CBS and UBS) because their prices were never the same.


    "Seven minutes to glory."

  12. #12
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 57,726, Level: 74
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Clone5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    3,546
    Points
    57,726
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    I'm in 4 classes that require books and just in those 4 alone I am supposed to buy upwards of 20 books. I will probably wait until the first day of class, see what the reading load looks like then order on amazon from there.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 40,805, Level: 62
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,641
    Points
    40,805
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    see if you can rent your textbooks. i see some bookstores have set up a rental program on textbooks.


    doc

  14. #14
    Pro LeSchmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,022
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    Just bought 5 books for 173 and change on half dot com. Not done yet though....


    @LeSchmick

    XBox Live: Le Schmick

  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 23,431, Level: 46
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 119
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Swanson10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,859
    Points
    23,431
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

    Re: Ordering Textbooks

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone5 View Post
    I'm in 4 classes that require books and just in those 4 alone I am supposed to buy upwards of 20 books. I will probably wait until the first day of class, see what the reading load looks like then order on amazon from there.
    Thats rough.

    I am going to wait until after the first day and then probably just get them at UBS.


    NHL teams need to be added to the favorite teams section.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM