SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

Decade rankings according to cbssports.

1. USC: Mike Garrett got incredibly lucky
    2. Oklahoma: Calm down 'Horns.
    3. Texas: In 2000, Mack Brown was wondering if he would make it at Texas.
    4. Florida: Steve Spurrier began the decade winning the SEC
    5. LSU: Nick Saban closed the borders. Les Miles kept them sealed.
    6. Ohio State: From the day he was hired, Jim Tressel embraced the Michigan rivalry
    7. Miami: Is the 'Canes' dynasty over?
    8. Georgia: When Mark Richt arrived in Athens in 2001, he never thought he would last this long
    9. Virginia Tech: The Hokies played the first title game of the decade, losing to Florida State in the Sugar Bowl.
    10. Utah: Remember Ron McBride? No, you don't. He was Utah's coach at the beginning of the decade.
    13. Nebraska: Frank Solich played for a national championship. Bill Callahan played for a Big 12 title. Bo Pelini shared the 2008 North Division title with Missouri. Only at Nebraska is that considered a "down" decade.
    19. Auburn: Let's see if Gene Chizik can match this: Tommy Tuberville's 80 wins since 2000 included an undefeated season and an SEC title.
    25. Kansas State: The Wildcats get into the decade's top 25 by winning 11 three times, winning a Big 12 title in 2003, going to four bowls and surviving the Ron Prince train wreck. Bill Snyder returns this season trying to Wabash Cannonball back on the tracks
    32. Iowa: Kirk Ferentz has brought stability and excellence. There also have been off-the-field problems that have been too numerous to ignore. From 2002-04 Iowa won 31 games and shares of two Big Ten titles. The 2003 Orange Bowl loss to USC served as the kickoff to the Trojans' dynasty this decade.
    33. Texas Tech: Mike Leach has put Tech on the map. Well, if your map includes the West Texas outback. You are witnessing the high point of Red Raiders football. The 11-2 season in '08 produced the nation's best receiver (Michael Crabtree) and a win for the ages against Texas. Leach's offense has influenced almost every program in the country, and some in the NFL
    46. Missouri: Gary Pinkel began the decade at Toledo. He ended it having Missouri in national championship contention and getting to consecutive Big 12 championship games
    51. Kansas: There are enough Mark Mangino jokes around to fill a Letterman monologue.
    At least there were
    52. Oklahoma State: The program was in good hands when Les Miles handed it over to Mike Gundy. The "I'm 40" guy has not bobbled the ball. The Cowboys have won nine twice this decade, which is more than UCLA and as many as Notre Dame. The problem for the Cowboys is playing in the rugged Big 12 South. Texas and Oklahoma are always better. That might change this season.
    53. Colorado: Four division titles. A Big 12 title (2001). A recruiting and sex scandal. CU hasn't been the same since 2004, when Gary Barnett got up in front of reporters and dissed Katie Hnida .
    63. Texas A&M: A decade of strife mostly. The Aggies have been 3-15 combined against Texas and Oklahoma. R.C. Slocum fell out of favor. Dennis Franchione left in shame. Mike Sherman has yet to prove himself.
    69. Iowa State: Dan McCarney should have never been fired. That Gene Chizik thing worked out well didn't it?
    98. Baylor: Longest active bowless streak among BCS conference schools (15 years). All that could change in 2009.

How is Kansas St ranked that high I don't understand. Cbssports could do a little better than what they did for ISU also. Agree with these rankings?

Giving it a go
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Re: Decade rankings according to cbssports.

I thought the Big Ten was better that this?

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Pro
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Here is a link to winning percentage this decade:

I-A Winning Percentage 2000-2008

'Until things are brighter, I'm the man in black.'

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by hurdleisu24 View Post
    How is Kansas St ranked that high I don't understand. Cbssports could do a little better than what they did for ISU also. Agree with these rankings?
    Kansas State has won 11 games 4 different times in the last 10 years! They played for the Big 12 Championship in both 2000 and 2003. Losing a close game to #1 (and eventual national champion) Oklahoma in 2000, they were ranked #8 at the time. In 2003, they upset #1 Oklahoma in the title game.

If you did this analysis from 1993 to 2003, they would be in the top ten easy! Maybe the top 5!

I'm on twitter @mookjnsn ... me, not her.

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,113
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 8

I mostly agree with Dodd's rankings. You can argue a spot here or there, but I think they are largely right-on.

K-State definitely deserves to be up there. The last few years aside, they were easily a top 10 program for the better part of the decade.

Wind the clock back 3 years or so, and the list might look quite a bit different.

"Homemade beer, after all, is like a democracy. Every so often, youíre gonna hate what comes out of it. But when itís good, itís the best." - woot.com

Hall-Of-Famer Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by hurdleisu24 View Post
    69. Iowa State: Dan McCarney should have never been fired. That Gene Chizik thing worked out well didn't it?
    I wonder what our 10 year ranking will be after Jamie Pollard has been in charge for a whole decade.. Ugh.

Gene Smith, 1993-2000. 7 years, 6 NCAA's, 1 bowl game. Revenue sports postseason participation 50%. Good.
    Bruce Vandevelde, 2000-20005. 5 years, 4 bowl games, 2 NCAA's, 2 NIT's. Postseason participation 80%. Better.
    Jamie Pollard, 2005-. 4 years. 1 bowl game, 0 NCAA's, 0 NIT's. Postseason participation: 13%. The next big step.

My ignore list: splitidentity, tarheelhawk,superdorf, clones_jer. That is all.

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MontyBurns View Post
    I wonder what our 10 year ranking will be after Jamie Pollard has been in charge for a whole decade.. Ugh.
    Which team do you like? You put down Iowa and ISU.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

69 was pretty generous I thought. With how the media over emphasizes recent events I would have guessed we'd have Baylor's ranking.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Why is Kansas so high?

Aside from their miracle season two years ago, they haven't done anything more than ISU and differently haven't done more than Colorado.

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

During that time period KU won 3 bowl games including a BCS bowl, Colorado has only one bowl victory.