Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

Hawaii coach suspended 30 days for slur

HONOLULU -- Hawaii coach Greg McMackin was suspended for 30 days without pay and has volunteered to take an additional 7 percent pay cut from his $1.1 million salary for making a derogatory comment while describing Notre Dame's chant before last year's Hawaii Bowl.
    In a room full of players, assistant coaches and boosters, a tearful McMackin addressed reporters late Friday after meeting with school officials for several hours.
    "I just want to say I made a big mistake. I want to apologize to everyone and anyone that I offended with my remarks," he said. "I'm committed to do whatever I can to use this as a life lesson to learn from my mistake. When we make mistakes, we have to learn from it and make better people of ourselves."
    In total, McMackin will lose roughly $169,000 from his salary this year. But the real damage seems to be to his reputation and to the university
    The second-year Warriors coach has repeatedly apologized for the comments made during a media briefing Thursday at the Western Athletic Conference football preview in Salt Lake City. He used a slur usually targeted at gays to describe Notre Dame's chant performed at a banquet before last year's Hawaii Bowl.
    "I'm very disappointed in myself. I hope to make up for some for the pain I caused others," he said. "I made a mistake. Now I have to show the leadership in dealing with the football program and building respect for all people in our community."
    Wiping away tears from his swollen-red eyes, McMackin said he's offended the gay and lesbian community and now he wants to work with them to use the incident as a "teachable moment for me and hopefully others."
    "I should've never brought Notre Dame's program up in my interview," McMackin said. "I'm sorry that I said something so hurtful and I'm very remorseful."
    Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis on Friday said the Fighting Irish program was offended by the comments but has accepted his apology and will move on.
    "Coach McMackin demonstrated poor judgment when, while making comments critical of our football program, he used a derogatory word," Weis said in a statement. "Speaking only for our football program, we were offended by the remarks."
    Weis said it was in the best interests of the Notre Dame program to address the issue promptly, put it to rest and focus on the upcoming season.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,162
    Given: 602

Re: Hawaii coach suspended 30 days for slur

Wow.......we're having a lot of teachable moments here lately. Perhaps my next **** up can be one too!

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

This whole story is ridiculous. We live in such a world of political correctness that it is pathetic. Personally, I don't even see why this has turned into something so big.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Is this the dance they were doing? It's about 25 seconds in.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMPWCdQhKIo]YouTube - dancing guy at wnba game[/ame]

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post

YouTube - dancing guy at wnba game
    Wow! I didn't think they caught me on camera!

Recruit
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post

YouTube - dancing guy at wnba game
    Ha!!! If that was the dance, I can see how McMackin might have made that comment.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 5

This story is a little different, but this is why hate the access that the media has to players, locker rooms, clubhouses, etc.

The issue several years ago with the blow-up doll in the White Sox club house was hilarious. Instead, some bimbo reporter that shouldn't have been there in the first place writes a ridiculous piece about how it offended her. Are you kidding me? It's a MLB clubhouse, you're going to see some stuff that might not be appropriate for the outside world.

Furthermore, I know my HS football coaches used plenty of derogatory words to describe our opponents and our efforts. Nobody was offended by that and every coach does that. If you don't want to hear that stuff, don't mic up the coaches. If you don't want to see it, don't go in the locker room.

Could Hawaii's coach have used better judgement? Sure, but let's not throw this guy under the bus for doing something that every other coach in the country does too. Don't think for one second that Hank Schram, Chuck Knoll, Tom Landry and a host of others never used similar tactics in addressing their teams.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post
    This story is a little different, but this is why hate the access that the media has to players, locker rooms, clubhouses, etc.

The issue several years ago with the blow-up doll in the White Sox club house was hilarious. Instead, some bimbo reporter that shouldn't have been there in the first place writes a ridiculous piece about how it offended her. Are you kidding me? It's a MLB clubhouse, you're going to see some stuff that might not be appropriate for the outside world.

Furthermore, I know my HS football coaches used plenty of derogatory words to describe our opponents and our efforts. Nobody was offended by that and every coach does that. If you don't want to hear that stuff, don't mic up the coaches. If you don't want to see it, don't go in the locker room.

Could Hawaii's coach have used better judgement? Sure, but let's not throw this guy under the bus for doing something that every other coach in the country does too. Don't think for one second that Hank Schram, Chuck Knoll, Tom Landry and a host of others never used similar tactics in addressing their teams.
    True that! +1

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 758

Awesome gotta love how some people get there panties in a twist over nothing.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CylentButDeadly View Post

1. Just because "every" HS football coach in the country uses derogatory words to motivate players doesn't make it acceptable. Why do you have to call your players some degrading term to motivate them? If you are a good football coach shouldn't you be able to motivate them without calling them a bunch of n*****s or f*****s? Additionally, just because no one spoke up and every player was calling each other a f***** doesn't mean that nobody was offended.
    2. Some of you may not be offended by the term the coach used, but in today's mainstream "over politcally correct" society that is not acceptable term. I was raised not to ever use that term because it is offensive and is a sign of a lack of class and respect. Some people still however think this is an acceptable term to refer to others in a deragatory manner, or even to refer to homosexuals. Those people face a cold hard reality like the coach from Hawaii when they use that term as such in public speaking situations. Continually people are going to slip up and use this word in public and will face outcry and backlash from society until some realize the word's utility is nothing. It's funny, as soon as the coach said what has caused all this he knew he screwed up and apologized like 20 times after, yet some people, with the courage of the power of posting on a message board, would have just stood up there and kept spewing hate speech. Coaches like Bear Bryant would use words like n****** to motivate his players, as well as did every "great coach" in the south before that word was not acceptable in society, that didn't make it okay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 189
    Given: 758

whats wrong with "***" its just a bundle of sticks.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,549
    Given: 1,322

Quote Originally Posted by CyDude16 View Post
    Let's not go down this road.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 13

So you are trying to say the coach thought they were dancing like some bundles of sticks?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 303

Looks like no one would want this wimp bag as a head coach...he is crying because he has to work time with the gay community to make amends...

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 282
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81

Well, I don't think he shortened it.

If this stuff happened in the locker room or in a team environment where the media and cameras were not the focal point then I'd agree that this should not be the story that it has become. Unfortunately the coach needs to be aware of his audience, which in this case was the media at the conference media days.