Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Line Play: Improve or Bust

Looking at the kids we have coming in, it's blatantly obvious to me that Gene Chizik saw a glaring need on this football team - offensive and defensive linemen.

We can't afford another season of snap-and-run-for-your-life. It helped produce a mere 5.2 points/game in the 2nd half. If I count garbage time points, that jumps to a blistering 7.7 points a game in the 2nd half. And I even included the safety we scored vs. Oklahoma and any other defensive scores we may have had (which I think was one at most, but didn't check).

Pa-thetic.

Equally as bad last year and very important this year is defensive line play. We couldn't rush the passer at all - allowing QB's like Rocky from UNLV to look like Peyton Manning against us and our very young secondary. Not to mention, running the ball on us wasn't even close to as difficult as it's been in past years.

This put us behind early in almost every game - forcing us to go into passing mode - allowing defenses to tee off on Meyer after getting through our sub-par offensive line. Early deficits was part of the reason we couldn't score very well in half number 2 - everyone knew we had to pass.

For '07, Chizik and his staff have added some pieces that will hopefully fill in those holes. The progression of the men in the trenches will likely be something we're all watching this spring and in fall practices.

Make good improvements there and we could have a surprising season. Don't and it's '06, Part II.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 31

Re: Line Play: Improve or Bust

First off, I think we got some pretty good Juco OL prospects. Biggest plus will be the new offensive coordinator. I just think he will have better blocking schemes and techniques. Secondly, I am really intrigued by JJ Bass. Too many times Stevie Hicks didn't really hit the hole hard. Ryan Koch showed what a back can do when he doesn't take two or three stutter steps.

On defense, we will miss Curvey and Moorehead, but I really like the size and speed of our new DL recruits. Bibbs should start somewhere. And Allen Bell is a flat out stud. Hopefully Chris Singleton will be better this fall.

I think the biggest change will be attitude. Chizik just projects a no nonsense kick a** attitude that is consumed by the desire for competing and winning. I think it permeates the whole staff and they act like they are on a mission.

I'm already pumped for Football season to begin.

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The line play WILL be better this fall. I can say that with about 99% confidence, because I honestly don't know if it is possible for it to be worse.

I'll be at the spring game and line play is really the only thing I'll be there to watch...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 265

Games are reallywon and lost at the two lines. Gene knows that. McC just could not recruit enough talent to keepo the cupboard filled. Too many off field incidents also.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 302

Who is our O-Line coach?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

McFarland, the OC is also the o-line coach.

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

Quote Originally Posted by uthaman View Post
    The line play WILL be better this fall. I can say that with about 99% confidence, because I honestly don't know if it is possible for it to be worse.

I'll be at the spring game and line play is really the only thing I'll be there to watch...
    amen...honestly it would be hard to be worse (knock on wood.) I would have to say that would improve but all this implies is that it won't be quite as bad, and last year was really bad. It's not going to be a year filled with single digit sacks given up by our O-Line and double digit sacks for our D-Line, but I think there will be a small, but visibly noticeable difference with the play in the trenches.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

only prob with watching the spring game,
    if the oline does awesome,or it is our dline not that good?
    or if our d line does awesome or is it our oline not that good?
    i just want to see the offense do good though, they could of been so much better last year, and now i think they should be out to prove somthing

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by uthaman View Post
    I'm mixed on that one.

I agree because it would be tough for it to get much worse. Also, when I look at the prospects we brought in, looks like some good size and ability. The biggest reason I agree is because I really feel more-so than lack of talent hurting our line last year - I think it was scheme. We failed to run the quick hitters until the last game and our line just wasn't utilized to what their skill set was. Straight ahead blocking, mean and nasty. Instead, it seemed they were forced to patsy around, forced to move too much and try to be quick.

Where I "disagree", or have concern we may not see much improvement - is the fact no one at the 2nd string level pushed the starters for playing time. D-Mac said this often, the starters are struggling but the guys behind them are not able to play. Not only did we have no depth, the starters were not being driven to improve with the threat of losing their position.

Also, while the guys coming in look good, there has to be reasons they were still available for us to recruit. Otherwise, some would've been snagged up by now I would think.

If I had to put a number to it, I'd say I'm about 65-70% on us having an improved offensive line.

Defensive line is another story. It's very tough to replace a Brent Curvey. However, as a unit - I do think we'll see improvement on the defensive line. That's one I guess where I expect things to improve more than I do on the offensive line at this point.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Visited with McFarland on signing day, besides being very impressed with him as a person, I am very pleased to have him personally coaching OLine. I came away thinking this guy really gets it and that we may even see some guys who we percieve as "washouts" develop into something under him.

Walk On
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

We won't be able to see any of these JUCO players in the Spring Game will we? The won't be on campus until Summer will they?

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 6

There are 4 juco's already on campus now.

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

While I think the overall line play may be better, I don't think that the overall individual talent of this group will be better. Brant and Zehr (four year starters) and Stephenson (future NFL center) were good players. They just could not adjust to the scheme or gel as a unit. I put that on the coaching. Hopefully with these JUCOs coming in early they can establish a chemistry and get the job done.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

“Robert McFarland has had tremendous success as an offensive coordinator and I think he is the best offensive line coach in the country,” Chizik said. “He has head coaching experience and I’ve seen his one-on-one mentoring ability with student-athletes.”

Enough said.

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

ISUFan22 - I agree 100% with what you said about the 2nd stringers. If the 2nd guys from last year beat out all these jucos what will any of us say? The words "Uh Oh" come to mind...

It is really amazing how bad Marty Fine's recruiting classes were. (or Cotton's for that matter) And how little improvement any of the guys made under Cotton. Maybe amazing is the wrong word. Sad? Disappointing? Depressing?